Help with finding an ebike repair shop

Clive Belfield

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2019
As I have posted earlier I am having problems with my front wheel ebike conversion.
Can anyone out there recommend a bike shop in Yorkshire where I could take the bike for repair.
Thanks for any recommendations.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
As I have posted earlier I am having problems with my front wheel ebike conversion.
Can anyone out there recommend a bike shop in Yorkshire where I could take the bike for repair.
Thanks for any recommendations.
There really are not too many around that can properly help with kits. Diagnosis can be time consuming and not cost effective for them. I occasionally help folk out but being based near Brighton you are miles away!

Clive Belfield

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2019
There really are not too many around that can properly help with kits. Diagnosis can be time consuming and not cost effective for them. I occasionally help folk out but being based near Brighton you are miles away!
Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I am in Wakefield West Yorkshire some 250 miles away otherwise I would be round to you in a flash. It is really getting to me not being able to get out.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Clive can you tell us what is wrong or what occurred before it went wrong ?

Clive Belfield

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2019
I have a basic sytsem 36v 250 watt front hub motor with a KT 880 display and thumb throttle. Whilst out riding the system failed . When I got home I carried out some basic checks . When I switch the system on the display lights come on but immediately go off with no movement on the motor. Using a jumper plug I bypassed the display and the system worked. I went out for another ride with no display and after about 10 miles the system shut down again. Got home and reconnected the display, the lights came on and immediately went off with no motor movement. Battery output is 40.5v but when I connect the controller it drops down to 3.5v. I have had the controller checked and been advised that it is working ok.

Clive Belfield

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2019
Clive can you tell us what is wrong or what occurred before it went wrong ?
I have a basic sytsem 36v 250 watt front hub motor with a KT 880 display and thumb throttle. Whilst out riding the system failed . When I got home I carried out some basic checks . When I switch the system on the display lights come on but immediately go off with no movement on the motor. Using a jumper plug I bypassed the display and the system worked. I went out for another ride with no display and after about 10 miles the system shut down again. Got home and reconnected the display, the lights came on and immediately went off with no motor movement. Battery output is 40.5v but when I connect the controller it drops down to 3.5v. I have had the controller checked and been advised that it is working ok.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Have you carried out a Mosfet test on the controller to see if one has failed or failing ? The controller has many components and is impossible to check except for the mosfets and a visual generally for anything that looks damaged like a resistor.

Disconnect the battery and probe between the controller v- and each of the three phases using the 200k scale all three results should be the same any one widely different means a duff mosfet /controller also check between v+ and the phases all results should be the same, the latter may only register infinity or one which is fine if ay read zero then you have a duff mosfet.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Hi Clive

It's Dan from TorqueTech here. Do you mind me butting in to the conversation and revealing some of the missing details of your issue?

Clive Belfield

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2019
Not at all Dan, please feel free to post anything you wish regarding my quiery.My original post if you read it was to ask if anyone knew of a bike shop near me where I could take the battery for testing as you recommended.
Hi Clive

It's Dan from TorqueTech here. Do you mind me butting in to the conversation and revealing some of the missing details of your issue?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I saw that you weren't asking for technical advice, but that won't stop this lot from trying to help. It's probably easier for me to convey what's happened up until now.

Clive bought a sensorless 9FET KT controller from me a few weeks ago. No communication occurred at the time of purchase.

EDIT: My original statement was incorrect. Clive did get in touch before making a purchase, asking me to suggest a suitable replacement controller.

A week later, Clive got in touch to say that his KT880 LED display wouldn't stay switched on when connected to both his old controller, or the one purchased from me. I advised that the display was likely faulty and required replacement. Clive confirmed that the old controller worked while bypassing the display using the jumper plug from the new controller. I told Clive to keep the jumper plug and return the controller to me for a refund, which he did.

A few days later, Clive got in touch again to say that during a ride that afternoon, the bike had cut out and stopped working. I asked him to confirm with a DMM that he could see a feed from the 5V regulator - he couldn't, meaning the controller wasn't powered on. I asked him to check the voltage at the display to controller pass through and he reported 4V. I figured that the battery wasn't outputting sufficient voltage to initialise the controller, so asked Clive to check the voltage at the battery terminals and he tested 40V.

Clive continued to experiment and soon realised that although the battery was outputting 40V while open circuit, the voltage would fall to 4V when connected to the controller. The battery harness has been confirmed as okay up to the controller.

At this point, Clive asked if he could package up his kit minus the motor & battery and send it to me to test and replace parts, if necessary. When I received the kit (controller, display and throttle), I hooked it up to a bench supply and a diagnostic tester and was surprised to find that everything functioned as it should do. Although I didn't test the controller under load, I was happy with the output shown by the diagnostic tester, which displayed all phases firing in sync. The kit was then returned to Clive.

I am now of the opinion that Clive's issues are down to a faulty battery. At this point, I would usually test the battery under load, but Clive lives a couple of hundred miles from me, so not possible. At this point I advised him to take it to a local independent ebike shop who, might be willing to help him, which is where he is now.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This is quite typical of issue from posters, in that they never divulge the whole story from the start and leave out vast sections of what has occurred. It would save a lot of us a wasted time in replying.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
This is quite typical of issue from posters, in that they never divulge the whole story from the start and leave out vast sections of what has occurred. It would save a lot of us a wasted time in replying.
I agree, that is usually very annoying, but in Clive's defence, he didn't come here looking for technical advice. He's just looking for a LBS able to assist him further.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
40.5v isn't high enough. If that's as high as it goes, it sounds like you have cell problems in it.
I can't remember the exact top voltage, but I think the 40.5V figure quoted by Clive was measured halfway through a recent ride, when his system failed.

Can you confirm that this is the case Clive?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Very true Daniel, Clive did just ask for LBS to help out.
Being a helpful lot we do like to help folks to try and save them money by testing/checking themselves, though not every one feels confident diving in.

Clive Belfield

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2019
I agree, that is usually very annoying, but in Clive's defence, he didn't come here looking for technical advice. He's just looking for a LBS able to assist him further.
Bit harsh Nealh to put it mildly. If you care to read my original post I was only seeking recommendations for a local bike shop that could help. I do not want to get into technical discussions as I feel out of my depth with what I consider to be complicated tests. I am a bike rider who justs wants to ride his bike and have been more than satisfied with the technical help I have received from Dan Lee.

Clive Belfield

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2019
I can't remember the exact top voltage, but I think the 40.5V figure quoted by Clive was measured halfway through a recent ride, when his system failed.

Can you confirm that this is the case Clive?
Yes I can confirm that the voltage was 40.5v but this was after I had done 10 miles and used the battery to go up some steep hills. i.e. the battery was NOT fully charged.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Yes I can confirm that the voltage was 40.5v but this was after I had done 10 miles and used the battery to go up some steep hills. i.e. the battery was NOT fully charged.
It's certainly worth saying that your next step should be to charge your battery. Make sure you leave it on charge for a minimum of 24 hours, so that the BMS has a chance to balance the pack sufficiently.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

Clive Belfield

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2019
It's certainly worth saying that your next step should be to charge your battery. Make sure you leave it on charge for a minimum of 24 hours, so that the BMS has a chance to balance the pack sufficiently.
Once again thanks for your help Dan. What ideally should my battery voltage be when fully charged?