Help with LCD Display?

sgibbins

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 31, 2019
Hi all - I've just got my Cyclotricity kit up and running, and it all seems to go smoothly, apart from the KT-LCD1 display. The display powers on, and I can access all the settings and change the PAS setting (even though I have no PAS sensor, just throttle), but it does not display the battery status, nor the speed I am going at.

Any ideas why this might be? I have contacted Cyclotricity, but imagine that they will just want to send a replacement.

Thanks in advance!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi all - I've just got my Cyclotricity kit up and running, and it all seems to go smoothly, apart from the KT-LCD1 display. The display powers on, and I can access all the settings and change the PAS setting (even though I have no PAS sensor, just throttle), but it does not display the battery status, nor the speed I am going at.

Any ideas why this might be? I have contacted Cyclotricity, but imagine that they will just want to send a replacement.

Thanks in advance!
Have you done all the settings yet? You have to tell the LCD what to use as a speed signal, which is a combination of P1 and P2. Their values depend on which motor you have and whether you fitted a speed sensor. P5 might affect the battery display if it's wildly out. What's yours set to?

sgibbins

May 31, 2019
Have you done all the settings yet? You have to tell the LCD what to use as a speed signal, which is a combination of P1 and P2. Their values depend on which motor you have and whether you fitted a speed sensor. P5 might affect the battery display if it's wildly out. What's yours set to?
So cyclotricity send instructions for what to set them as:
P1 - 46
P2 - 0
P3 - 1
P4 - 0
P5 - 15
P6 - 99

Does that look right?

sgibbins

May 31, 2019
You didn't say which motor you have, nor what type of speed sensor.
Sorry; I have a cyclotricity 250/1000w motor, not sure about the speed sensor, is that the controller?

Apologies for my ignorance!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The speed sensor is a device that clips onto the chainstay and a magnet is attached to a spoke, so that the sensor gives one pulse each time the magnet goes past.

Most controllers can get a speed signal from the motor hall sensors if you don't have a separate speed sensor. You do that by setting P2 to 0 and P1 to the number of magnets in the motor, so the values listed by Cyclotricity look right.
P3 only affects the pedal assist.
P4 = 0 makes the throttle work without pedalling.
P5 is a damping factor for the battery display. 15 would be about right, but it's not critical. A high number, like 40, could be problematic. If you set it to zero, there's no damping, so the battery display goes up and down instantly as you take power from the battery, which is good to see what's going on and good for testing, but no good as a fuel gauge.
I'm not familiar with P6, but I guess it's something to do with 250/1000w.

One thing you could try, which worked for somebody else, who had no battery display, is to make a note of all of the present P and C parameters, then do a reset by setting C10 = Y, then setting the P parameters to the values given by Cyclotricity.

PS. I think LCD1 only gives access to the P parameters, so you can't do a reset.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For speedo reading P2/1 is normal if an ext sensor with spoke magnet is used, if not try P2/6.
P6 is a custom setting and as mentioned by vfr is something to do with the dual 250/1000w motor setting. My Lcd1 doesn't have P6 as it is a non custom item.

If I need to make any changes with a LCD1 or LCD2, I temp swap an LCD3 over to make changes to save them then re plug the LCD1/2 back in.

Last edited: