Help with mud please

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
very sorry. And I know it's pathetic. But I've never got a bike muddy before.
I'm the new owner of an oxygen MTB . Me and the lad have just cycles across 3 mud and grass parks
That follow a river. And then bombed around some woods.

My bike is now muddy. My natural inclination is to hose it off? Is that what you do with mountain bikes?
And is it different with bikes. I know you guys will know. I've seen the photos lol.

Thanks

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Don't use strong jets especially in bearings and electrics. Best rinse with shower mode and back of a bit.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ok great so I can use a standard hose and a sponge ok?
Yes, I've always done that. Just avoid directing the jet of water directly into bearings etc, run the water across the face instead, using the quantity of flow to wash the mud away, rather than the force.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I've given it a rinse off. Mud was very wet so came off easy. Took it for a spin round the block. Front wheel making a tinny light sound like metal on metal. I'm guessing that's wet brakes. Seemed to get less on the way home.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Yes, I've always done that. Just avoid directing the jet of water directly into bearings etc, run the water across the face instead, using the quantity of flow to wash the mud away, rather than the force.
Just to really show my complete ignorance. Where are the bearings? I'm guessing in the hub of the Wheel?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just to really show my complete ignorance. Where are the bearings? I'm guessing in the hub of the Wheel?
Yes, the wheel hub sides, the bottom bracket sides, the inner ends of the pedals, and the top and bottom of the steering stem.

Just avoid pointing the hose directly into those, since that will drive water and dirt into the bearings.

Instead just flow the water past across the surfaces instead, letting it soften the mud and wear it away, rather than driving the mud off with force. Your sponge will help that.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Excellent. Thanks guys. Front wheel is silent again. My lad has just said. Let's go out again. Oh, no thanks says I." Why not dad you've got an engine now." so now we are off out again. I've got mud all over my face. Not had that since rugby 30 years ago.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Now you know why the rest of us are always going on about our eMTBs.

They are great.

A few photos would be lovely, dirty or clean. I have not seen any of your make of bike on here.

I wash the worst of the dirt off with a sponge and bucket, using a watering can to take the bits off. The only problem is putting the bike away wet, so I use a leaf blower after Gubbins recommended it.

Oil the chain.

Well done!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use a hose pipe on my bike then spray muck off pink stuff on then rinse again after a light scrub with a nylon brush. After that I give it a spray with MO94. Quarterly I check the bbs final drive and repack with new grease and recently removed/checked front and rear wheel hub/cassette bearings for a regrease . No water ingress at all and all fine and dandy just don't use a power washer.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I have access to loads of dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO). It is the best thing for getting rid of mud, no question.

I normally use it neat, but sometimes I dilute slightly with a bit of fairy liquid.

You have to be a bit careful with it though, its quite dangerous if handled incorrectly and causes many deaths every year. After all, its the single largest component in 'Acid Rain'.

I may be unusual, but find it so useful that I keep a tank full of the stuff heated to about 65 deg in the cupboard on the upstairs landing. The family go bloody bonkers if we run out!

Last edited:

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I have access to loads of dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO). It is the best thing for getting rid of mud, no question.

I normally use it neat, but sometimes I dilute slightly with a bit of fairy liquid.

You have to be a bit careful with it though, its quite dangerous if handled incorrectly and causes many deaths every year. After all, its the single largest component in 'Acid Rain'.

I may be unusual, but find it so useful that I keep a tank full of the stuff heated to about 65 deg in the cupboard on the upstairs landing. The family go bloody bonkers if we run out!
They are sold out at Halfords.

Reactions: Alan Quay

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Will do some photos into Flickr and post. For now I have stuck my bike as my avatar

Now you know why the rest of us are always going on about our eMTBs.

They are great.

A few photos would be lovely, dirty or clean. I have not seen any of your make of bike on here.

I wash the worst of the dirt off with a sponge and bucket, using a watering can to take the bits off. The only problem is putting the bike away wet, so I use a leaf blower after Gubbins recommended it.

Oil the chain.

Well done!

Reactions: IR772

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

A listed disadvantage of DHMO:

"Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits."

That's from this website with much, much more.

Related Articles

Advertisers