Help?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
My Delite has a chain tensioner as it doesn't have the skinny skewer but large diameter bar that screws into the frame as on a motorbike.

A much better job in my opinion and proven by the 8500 plus miles done without a problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
I guess Croxden on a full Sus ebike a chain Tentioner could make sense, but on a hard tail, it's simply not required.

As on the Riese & Muller Rohloff Charger which of course uses a Sliding Drop-Out's.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Excuse my ignorance but am I reading this right that its only single gear or IGH that requires a tensioner or drop out a derailleur already has it built in?

Is it confined to ebikes or all bikes? What do mainstream high end manufacturers favour?

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Hi Andy88, most OEM none Ebikes that are HardTail, would use either Sliding Drop-Out's or Eccentric Bottom Bracket when an IGH is in place.

I guess for full Sus, a chain tensioner is a good idea due to the swinging arm of the rear chain stays.

I don't do Suspention at all for my kind of riding, which does involve plenty of, off road trails.

So I have a bike with Bushnell Eccentric Bottom Bracket, running a SRAM Spectro P7 and my Rohloff bike uses Sliding Drop-Out's.

Not a chain tensioner in sight.

Both bike frames were bought from Tilon X'CND in X'ian Provence China.

That was back in 2004, and both bikes are still like new, being made from Titanium, one Brushed and the other Polished, they do keep there looks.

In fact I will be getting in contact with Tilon to find out if they can do me a Rohloff specific frame, that can accomadate the Bafang Max Drive motor.

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Hi Andy88, most OEM none Ebikes that are HardTail, would use either Sliding Drop-Out's or Eccentric Bottom Bracket when an IGH is in place.

I guess for full Sus, a chain tensioner is a good idea due to the swinging arm of the rear chain stays.

I don't do Suspention at all for my kind of riding, which does involve plenty of, off road trails.

So I have a bike with Bushnell Eccentric Bottom Bracket, running a SRAM Spectro P7 and my Rohloff bike uses Sliding Drop-Out's.

Not a chain tensioner in sight.

Both bike frames were bought from Tilon X'CND in X'ian Provence China.

That was back in 2004, and both bikes are still like new, being made from Titanium, one Brushed and the other Polished, they do keep there looks.

In fact I will be getting in contact with Tilon to find out if they can do me a Rohloff specific frame, that can accomadate the Bafang Max Drive motor.
That information very useful for me thank you!

I only need a hardtail, originally I was going for a hybrid or even comfort bike but I like the idea of a mountain bike with fattish tyres and a comfy saddle.

Are you importing the bikes in from China in bits or as a whole?

Andy

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
That information very useful for me thank you!

I only need a hardtail, originally I was going for a hybrid or even comfort bike but I like the idea of a mountain bike with fattish tyres and a comfy saddle.

Are you importing the bikes in from China in bits or as a whole?

Andy
A good hard tail is a versatile bike as you can get. Suspension seat post(suntour ncx), touring tires, mud guards, lights, pannier and you have excellent tourer and commuter that eats curbs. In standard form allows you go MTBing.
For moderate MTBing hubs are fine, but do try both cadence and torque drive systems. Do recommend air shocks you can't bet them comfort on and off road. For commuting I run shocks at lower pressure, more responsive to small bumps.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
A good hard tail is a versatile bike as you can get. Suspension seat post(suntour ncx), touring tires, mud guards, lights, pannier and you have excellent tourer and commuter that eats curbs. In standard form allows you go MTBing.
For moderate MTBing hubs are fine, but do try both cadence and torque drive systems. Do recommend air shocks you can't bet them comfort on and off road. For commuting I run shocks at lower pressure, more responsive to small bumps.
Thank you…

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep Andy88, back in 2004 I shipped in 3 Ti Frames all Rohloff Specific from Tilon.

Tilon provide drawings which you tweak, like adding braze on's, cable guides etc.

I even sent them an alloy chainset isis type from FSA, and Tilon copied it perfectly in Ti, and even machined the 110 BCD Spider to be Single Speed Specific, I believe it could be the only one of it's type in the world c/w Ti Crank Arms.

Tilon also provided me with Ti Forks, and Ti Head Set Spacer rings, along with Ti Bottle cage.

The Tilon Handle Bars are neat, got a couple with intregated Stem, you select the angle, also got seperate Handlebars and a Stem for one of the builds, all very well made in Ti.

Back in 2004 Tilon would only take $ and that had to be wired, it was a leap of faith at the time, but it all turned out good.

The shipment from Tilon was labelled samples value 10$ so there was no import duty to be paid.

That frame that tommie posted would be ideal for shipping to Tilon, they would make an exact replica in Ti and add the Rohloff Sliding Drop-Out's.

The frame looks as if it may even be produced by Bafang themselves, so maybe even Bafang could produce the Max Drive frame with Sliding Drop-Out's.

This could be interesting if you can buy just the frame and motor, obviously you would want the control panel as well.

Then it would be just a case of adding your own battery and other components.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Yep Andy88, back in 2004 I shipped in 3 Ti Frames all Rohloff Specific from Tilon.

Tilon provide drawings which you tweak, like adding braze on's, cable guides etc.

I even sent them an alloy chainset isis type from FSA, and Tilon copied it perfectly in Ti, and even machined the 110 BCD Spider to be Single Speed Specific, I believe it could be the only one of it's type in the world c/w Ti Crank Arms.

Tilon also provided me with Ti Forks, and Ti Head Set Spacer rings, along with Ti Bottle cage.

The Tilon Handle Bars are neat, got a couple with intregated Stem, you select the angle, also got seperate Handlebars and a Stem for one of the builds, all very well made in Ti.

Back in 2004 Tilon would only take $ and that had to be wired, it was a leap of faith at the time, but it all turned out good.

The shipment from Tilon was labelled samples value 10€ so there was no import duty to be paid.

That frame that tommie posted would be ideal for shipping to Tilon, they would make an exact replica in Ti and add the Rohloff Sliding Drop-Out's.

The frame looks as if it may even be produced by Bafang themselves, so maybe even Bafang could produce the Max Drive frame with Sliding Drop-Out's.

This could be interesting if you can buy just the frame and motor, obviously you would want the control panel as well.

Then it would be just a case of adding your own battery and other components.
Yes Rohloff that would be a very interesting project.

Did you race bikes in the past or present?

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
No Andy88 I never got into cycle racing, I have just always liked to cycle, but now at 56 and 14st, it would be nice to get's some help up those hills!

I recon a Bafang Max Drive set up with Rohloff is what I am aiming for, and should come in at a fraction of the cost of the Riese & Muller Charger Rohloff, which is the kind of ebike that I am looking at.

The fact that I already have the Rohloff, will keep the cost down considerably.

I would like to avoid using a chain tensioner, but getting hold of a Bafang Max Drive frame that is Rohloff specific, is not likely to happen any time soon.

All work in progress as they say.

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
I got hold of a KTM rohloff tourer a couple of years ago and put a BBS02 500w Bafang. Best ebike I've had (so far of course), flies up steep Cotwolds hills. I have no cutoff on the hydraulic rim brakes and you have to back off when changing gear more than usual which requires a little more planning when hitting a slope. A bit leaky recently also, needs the paper gaskets doing I think. Got lucky with removing the tensioner because although frame is vertical dropout a lucky combo of 52t/16t works a treat.

I have also re-programmed the controller with the Bafang controller software, 6 assists, proper speed limits(not) etc. but I cannot find out if the new Max Drives allow this same software and cable to be used, that would be interesting.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Yes Rob, acute shortage of data available for the maxdrive but par for the course with some Chinese manufacturers.

Interesting your comments on braking, I would imagine each connotation with motor, bike, brake system would create unique experiences.

Reactions: robwalley