Help

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Went to Wheelbase today, discovered that the boss was in my class - when I was a teacher! Had a good test ride on the Cube step through Touring and went to place an order for the stand out value of the range, the 500 with CX motor. Out of Stock!
Chris is going to ring the factory tomorrow to see what delivery time is but I rode home on my borrowed Scott Hybrid and started wondering whether I should be going for the crossbar frame instead. Slightly sportier and cooler looking. Any thoughts from you experts?

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
if you are like me now the way i am thinking i bought a Scott bike don't get me wrong it a good bike and works well with no problems

But before you make a decision have a look at Riese muller and have a look at the charge with dual batteries it is a really fine piece of engineering

I'm very much thinking about selling my Scott at some point and buying a Riese muller just purely because it has two batteries on board so you would never have to worry about the power going on you and the nice little thing that they have integrated into it is the both batteries charge up at the same time.

There is loads of stuff on youtube about the dual batteries have a peak you might want to set your eyes on something like that it is just a suggestion

https://www.r-m.de/en-gb/e-bike/charger/charger-touring/#17Z01_05010931

At the end of the day on any e-bike you can never have enough battery to get you around

if you do decided to go a little further with the bike you will always have the power and battery to get around with no have to worry about not going to far without not haven no power to get you back home

The situation that i am in now is i have to carry a spare battery in my rucksack with me all the time just in case i do run out of power somewhere so can just swap the batteries over and carry on cycling it would be lot more better for me if i had the both built in on board then i wouldn't have to carry another one in my rucksack

Well i am not a rucksack lover at all i hate haven things on my back at all and at 3.5 kilos which is not a lot but enough on your back not to enjoy the ride like you would like to because you have this battery in your back when you pedalling long and enjoying the scenery

Sometimes when i am cycling it can be hard to find the perfect spot to stop and change battery depending where i am on my journey sometimes i would have to change where i wouldn't want to change but i have no choice because the road a head could be to dangerous

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Hmmm! Most people don't tow stuff around, so don't need two batteries. I think that suggest is a bit extreme unless OP has some special requirement. You can do about 50 miles on a single one, and carrying around 6 kg of batteries would spoil the ride for most people.

There's hundreds if not thousands of different ebikes to choose from. They're all good. Unless you have some sort of special requirements, you can take your pick.

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
Went to Wheelbase today, discovered that the boss was in my class - when I was a teacher! Had a good test ride on the Cube step through Touring and went to place an order for the stand out value of the range, the 500 with CX motor. Out of Stock!
Chris is going to ring the factory tomorrow to see what delivery time is but I rode home on my borrowed Scott Hybrid and started wondering whether I should be going for the crossbar frame instead. Slightly sportier and cooler looking. Any thoughts from you experts?
I'd always go for the crossbar version, but that's purely a personal choice and one that clearly limits things for me.

Buy what works for you best, but if it's going to niggle you that you didn't buy the crossbar frame version, buy it, as you'll never be happy with the step through version. This is all in my opinion obviously.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
if you are like me now the way i am thinking i bought a Scott bike don't get me wrong it a good bike and works well with no problems

But before you make a decision have a look at Riese muller and have a look at the charge with dual batteries it is a really fine piece of engineering

I'm very much thinking about selling my Scott at some point and buying a Riese muller just purely because it has two batteries on board so you would never have to worry about the power going on you and the nice little thing that they have integrated into it is the both batteries charge up at the same time.

There is loads of stuff on youtube about the dual batteries have a peak you might want to set your eyes on something like that it is just a suggestion

https://www.r-m.de/en-gb/e-bike/charger/charger-touring/#17Z01_05010931

At the end of the day on any e-bike you can never have enough battery to get you around

if you do decided to go a little further with the bike you will always have the power and battery to get around with no have to worry about not going to far without not haven no power to get you back home

The situation that i am in now is i have to carry a spare battery in my rucksack with me all the time just in case i do run out of power somewhere so can just swap the batteries over and carry on cycling it would be lot more better for me if i had the both built in on board then i wouldn't have to carry another one in my rucksack

Well i am not a rucksack lover at all i hate haven things on my back at all and at 3.5 kilos which is not a lot but enough on your back not to enjoy the ride like you would like to because you have this battery in your back when you pedalling long and enjoying the scenery

Sometimes when i am cycling it can be hard to find the perfect spot to stop and change battery depending where i am on my journey sometimes i would have to change where i wouldn't want to change but i have no choice because the road a head could be to dangerous
.. carrying stuff on your back is just daft... No insult intended. Even the cycling touring books from the 1930s said so. Everything is wrong about it.. weight carried to high, weight sloshing around digging into back, every swing of the bike , requires excercise. Get a pannier., Your back will thank you.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I'd always go for the crossbar version, but that's purely a personal choice and one that clearly limits things for me.

Buy what works for you best, but if it's going to niggle you that you didn't buy the crossbar frame version, buy it, as you'll never be happy with the step through version. This is all in my opinion obviously.

.. I went for the step through version, for my ebike, even though the crossbar one was in stock and I had to wait a week. My reasons as follows .. you can agree or disagree as you wish.
1. I am confident enough of my gender that I don't need reminding each time I get on the bike.
2. I don't intend buying another bike, and hips won't improve with age.... If I want to get my leg over, I have alternative persuits.
3. A step through bike is a little bit safer in traffic. Indeed recalling incidents in my youth where I slipped off forwards of the saddle... , When I was forcefully reminded of my gender .. enough said.
4. While a crossbar bike is in theory more rigid, in practical terms it makes no difference.
5. My wife could if needs be ride my bike.

But as the previous poster said it's a matter of choice and opinion.

Reactions: fatwomble

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Have just had another ride into a Kendal and back on the Scott (15 miles return) and have now started to look at the Cube Cross's!
Agonies of indecision!

Have decided:

1. It needs to come from Wheelbase as they are my local dealers and they've been really good with test rides.
2. Must be a Bosch
3. Want the bigger 500 battery as ebikes extend ones range so much

So, it's probably going to be a Cube.

Any thoughts about the difference between a Cross and a Touring? Both available with mudguards and lights. The Cross would need a rack fitting.

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
Have just had another ride into a Kendal and back on the Scott (15 miles return) and have now started to look at the Cube Cross's!
Agonies of indecision!

Have decided:

1. It needs to come from Wheelbase as they are my local dealers and they've been really good with test rides.
2. Must be a Bosch
3. Want the bigger 500 battery as ebikes extend ones range so much

So, it's probably going to be a Cube.

Any thoughts about the difference between a Cross and a Touring? Both available with mudguards and lights. The Cross would need a rack fitting.

They're the same other than the mudguards and rack as far as I can seen.

What's the availability, they don't list much as in stock.

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Went in today and placed an order for the Kalkhoff Pro Connect B10 with the Bosch motor and 500 battery. Looks nice and handled well.
Only thing that struck me was how drab all the German Trekking bikes look. Have they cornered the market on Matt black paint?
But we can fix that!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Went in today and placed an order for the Kalkhoff Pro Connect B10 with the Bosch motor and 500 battery. Looks nice and handled well.
Only thing that struck me was how drab all the German Trekking bikes look. Have they cornered the market on Matt black paint?
But we can fix that!
.. looks a very ,nicely and well . Speced enjoy!