Hemiway Cruiser

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

the batt is the killer tho esp if you want any distance but you can turn it down power wise and 36v-100v so would work with what you have but dont try 65a from the batt you have or it will explode :oops:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

the batt is the killer tho esp if you want any distance but you can turn it down power wise and 36v-100v so would work with what you have but dont try 65a from the batt you have or it will explode :oops:
That's about the same inline and length of the last part of the hill I live on - the Police set up speed measuring vans a few weeks ago, because of all the crashes (a headlight from a Merc crash and tumble smashed into my front door a few months ago lol, driver walked out alive but stunned) - I can easily descend at mad speeds if I wanted, like everyone else used to, before the Council installed all the speed cameras after the Police van findings.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you not tried going over 60mph down hill then even on my bike it will speed wobble :eek:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
overtaking the cars is the best part lol :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
you not tried going over 60mph down hill then even on my bike it will speed wobble :eek:
I'd have to get my wheels perfectly true before trying an even better hill about 4 miles away, which is longer and has been recently tarmaced totally surface flat... every time I roll down that at 40+mph, I think about returning in the dead of night for a max speed run... but I'd need a 60T chainwheel instead of the 52T, probably larger.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
overtaking the cars is the best part lol :p
All the vehicles on that long downhill totally smooth road 4 miles away, are travelling very fast indeed. It's hard to judge braking in time for the roundabout at the end. Thirty years ago, I would have already swapped out that chainwheel.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my brakes are so strong i tell every one that has a go dont pull the brakes hard or you will go over the bars a few come close pmsl.

cant say i have ever made a speed cam go off tho and a 30 limit round here must not like my ass ;)

as kids we used to race down that with vbrakes on the schools bikes, they never lasted long brand new to fooked in 4 weeks

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
my brakes are so strong i tell every one that has a go dont pull the brakes hard or you will go over the bars a few come close pmsl.

cant say i have ever made a speed cam go off tho and a 30 limit round here must not like my ass ;)

as kids we used to race down that with vbrakes on the schools bikes, they never lasted long brand new to fooked in 4 weeks
The peak very near me is a couple of hundred feet higher than Cam Peak's 700ft, and it was a bloody nightmare coming down that on my Dahon after enjoying a nice kebab illuminated by just moonlight at the top last summer - not well suited with no suspension and 1.75" tyres. But fun. And a bloody nightmare.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

thats robins wood hill but these days the place is rammed day and night

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Back on topic.

I finally made a bit of time today to take the bike off road. The power delivery is a bit sketchy, but I think that I can fine tune that at some point. The tyres seem to be adequate rather than great, but I wasn't exactly expecting miracles from them. It was certainly good fun to ride though, and I can't wait to get back out on it again tomorrow.

I have also made a little modification to the bike by putting a cut down mudguard over the controller, just to give it a bit of added protection from water and crud.

20230318_150918 (1)f.jpg

20230318_151146.jpg

20230318_145133.jpg

20230318_144124.jpg

20230318_142728.jpg

20230318_150857.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Artstu

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not sure about this Eddie , I think you will be hankering for your mud plugging days if you aren't careful :eek:.

Reactions: Artstu and EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Not sure about this Eddie , I think you will be hankering for your mud plugging days if you aren't careful :eek:.
Yesterday's ride didn't really go to plan. I thought that I would visit old haunts, but didn't realise how wet and muddy that it was going to be, nor how my ride routes have changed so much over the last two years of not having ridden them. The rain has caused alot of erosion, and there were seemingly an endless amount of fallen trees.
Today's ride wasn't much better in respect of erosion and water, and that was with me trying to stick to the drier known bridleways.

I definitely need to look at the bikes power delivery, and the drive chain is awful quality as well.

Range wise, I still haven't really been able to test it, but the ride today was 21 miles, with 2,400ft of elevation gain, and it used two of the displayed bars. I didn’t really work at the riding, so it currently looks promising.

20230319_104336.jpg

20230319_102532.jpg

20230319_102014.jpg

20230319_092909.jpg

I didn't risk riding through this stream, and took the footpath bridge instead.

20230319_101949.jpg

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Just had my first hiccup with the bike.

The console reading for the battery level is next to useless. 5 miles from home and it was reading 2-3 bars out of 5 remaining, and the bike got slower and slower, then all but cut out.

Trying to pedal and push a bike that weighs near on 35kg for 5 miles, all of which was up hill, was no fun.

• Agree

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
My first accessory was my first extra battery!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
It's good to see you back Eddie, I don't visit here much myself but have wondered how you're getting on.

Now then with that rack we need to see another remake of the advert on Gold Hill :)

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Now then with that rack we need to see another remake of the advert on Gold Hill :)
44 years on from the original, Evans Cycles have revisited Sir Ridley Scott’s iconic 1973 Hovis advert. The original Hovis boy Carl Barlow, now a 57-year-old retired firefighter, is seen conquering Gold Hill in Shaftesbury, Dorset, thanks to the power of an electric bike.

Reactions: guerney and Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
44 years on from the original, Evans Cycles have revisited Sir Ridley Scott’s iconic 1973 Hovis advert. The original Hovis boy Carl Barlow, now a 57-year-old retired firefighter, is seen conquering Gold Hill in Shaftesbury, Dorset, thanks to the power of an electric bike.
Thanks I remember that, shocking that it was 5 years ago! seems like yesterday.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

@ 1m 31s, that looks like a mid-drive. Figures.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It's good to see you back Eddie, I don't visit here much myself but have wondered how you're getting on.

Good to see that you are still alive and kicking as well.
I already have a love hate relationship with the front rack. The load carrying capacity is great, but it is a bit disconcerting not being able to see the front tyre when riding off road. I suspect that night riding with it is also going to be interesting.
I'm actually planning on redesigning how it is mounted, and rather than having it bolted on, I plan to make it quick hitch. It should be easy enough to, and will make it more versatile.
I also intend to rig up something similar for the rear, to enable a large cargo bot to be fitted, for firewood collecting.

The bike is certainly a tank, and just as ugly.

My first accessory was my first extra battery!
I have certainly always had two batteries on the go with all of my previous bikes, but I'm not really worried about it on this one, as I don't intend for any epic rides.

Today was a miscalculation based upon looking at the day console, and my prediction that that partially charged battery should of easily completed the ride below. I need to investigate the battery power bar settings on the console, but might start a separate thread about that. I have read that other bike owners ignore the displayed setting, and use the one on the battery itself.

Screenshot_20230325_170930_Strava.jpg

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you can get another gen 2 cx or yamaha motor peter can pretty much keep them in service forever and now the bosch batts can be recelled but its about 500 quid but cheaper than bosch and you can get 3rd party batts for the yamaha as well.

or cyc make a new smaller motor now and looks good.