Here goes another one...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Wow, that smoke gushed out and ignited fast! By the time there's enough smoke for alarms to go off in the home, it's far too late.

Which third party for UK battery certification?

“Third-party certification has now been adopted by New York City and is already in place in the UK for other high-risk products such as fireworks and heavy machinery.”

D

Deleted member 16246

The British way will be for illinformed PPE graduates and lawyers in Parliament to pass a law banning a perfectly good way of making an E-bike. They do it all the time with all kinds of harmless things. Rather than go after actual malpractice and harmful behaviour they tie up the population in rules and bans, making the free born man a serf, by criminalising the majority who do no harm.

This is why I hate them.

I am not an anarchist or an extremist of any kind. I just think we have a right to be left alone. My grandparents generation born at the end of the nineteenth century were always saying, 'It's a free country'. It isn't, thanks to the terrible chicken livered scum we put into Parliament. This post is probably a hate crime. My grandfather who was shot in the chest on the first day of the Somme, but thankfully survived is probably spinning in his grave. He really believed that we live in a free country. The local council knocked over his grave stone at Christmas time because along with 1323 others they decided it was too dangerous to be left as it was.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Once everything is illegal, the cops will be free to target big nosed ebike riders one week, big eared boss-eyed clowns the next etc. anyone they fancy prosecuting at any time. Much cheaper to pass laws than enforce them, obviously - fantastically cheap media messaging, and it has my full support to the hilt.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i was out side staining the bench today and heard a doof behind me looked round and there was a pidgin that just fell from the sky 10inc from me :oops:

5- Birds fell down from the sky
On August 21, 1560, a total eclipse was seen in Portugal sky. Astronomer Christoph Clavius noted that “birds fell down from the sky to the ground in terror of such horrid darkness.”

In addition to the above, crickets chirped, whales breached, and dairy cows returned to their barn during the celestial events in the past.

i put it in the food bin ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i put it in the food bin ;)
Creosote is bad for wildlife, but never waste an opportunity to build muscles! Seriously consider steroids - enough roid rage and you'll eat it raw, beak feathers and all. Yum.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im not eating a fkn flying rat :oops:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Another delivery rider blows up his bike in a train station...cue sensationalist headlines blah, blah, blah....

Where did you see the info about being a delivery rider. I can only see information about the rider Sahab Singh waiting for his train.

Also I noticed no warning about ebike kits and underspec battery packs. I've noticed on quite a few previous stories about ebike fires which were mid-drive ebike motor conversions that had fires and those could likely be put down to the battery pack being discharged at too high a rate for their specification and that is likely true to of direct drive hub motor conversions where the speed has been unrestricted. High torque/high wattage mid-drive or hub motors need higher cost higher capacity battery packs.

However with this story again nothing really can be learned. We are not told anything about the ebike itself except it was bought 4 months before the incident from an online marketplace.

Trying to look at the image of the bike on the video is also not that helpful, its too soft to make out any real detail. It sort of looks like it could be a step through with a battery pack mounted on the downtube and the tyres look relatively thin so could be a hybrid type design. The handlebars look narrow and straight and it looks like it could be a quill stem. The kickstand looks to be coming from the rear chainstay so makes me think its a dedicated kickstand mount. However maybe if I looked at the same blurred image on another computer I would think differently.

Another thing I remember from another ebike fire was the ebike was quite old. It was probably being used well beyond its good 500 recharges and the cells were starting to fail. We aren't really used to giving bikes a use by date but I feel ebikes become less safe as they age and individual cells fail in the battery pack.

If these news reports had good information we could work out a pattern of failure but there is nothing useful in them all they do is make ebikes seem dangerous. Yes ebikes contain more dangerous combustible material than mobile phones or laptops but they are nothing compared to large electric vehicles that the government constantly pushes.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Where did you see the info about being a delivery rider. I can only see information about the rider Sahab Singh waiting for his train.

Also I noticed no warning about ebike kits and underspec battery packs. I've noticed on quite a few previous stories about ebike fires which were mid-drive ebike motor conversions that had fires and those could likely be put down to the battery pack being discharged at too high a rate for their specification and that is likely true to of direct drive hub motor conversions where the speed has been unrestricted. High torque/high wattage mid-drive or hub motors need higher cost higher capacity battery packs.

However with this story again nothing really can be learned. We are not told anything about the ebike itself except it was bought 4 months before the incident from an online marketplace.

Trying to look at the image of the bike on the video is also not that helpful, its too soft to make out any real detail. It sort of looks like it could be a step through with a battery pack mounted on the downtube and the tyres look relatively thin so could be a hybrid type design. The handlebars look narrow and straight and it looks like it could be a quill stem. The kickstand looks to be coming from the rear chainstay so makes me think its a dedicated kickstand mount. However maybe if I looked at the same blurred image on another computer I would think differently.

Another thing I remember from another ebike fire was the ebike was quite old. It was probably being used well beyond its good 500 recharges and the cells were starting to fail. We aren't really used to giving bikes a use by date but I feel ebikes become less safe as they age and individual cells fail in the battery pack.

If these news reports had good information we could work out a pattern of failure but there is nothing useful in them all they do is make ebikes seem dangerous. Yes ebikes contain more dangerous combustible material than mobile phones or laptops but they are nothing compared to large electric vehicles that the government constantly pushes.

That's the trouble, media only want sensationalist headlines, not to understand what happened, or bore readers with technical info. The fire brigade don't have the resources to investigate in detail unless someone is seriously hurt or dies.

Before the bike goes bang, you can see the rider jump up with what looks like a delivery box bag:

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Come the impending apocalypse, people will be happy to eat rat, flying or not :D
Come the impending apocalypse, people will be eating other people ;)

As a retired butcher, that sounds like I'll be back in a job.

Sausages anyone ?

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: guerney and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Without roping all incidents into one category of user, we can partly assume that a lot of these fires that occur are converted bikes used by the fast food merchants. They aren't bothered about personal safety with regards riding illegal mopeds , traffic laws , no lights or safety to others , so not surprised that they will have very little knowledge of the products applied to there death machines and even more how to look after, maintain or charge a battery safely.
Not forgetting these bikes are used all day or night long wizzing about come rain or shine and likely not very well maintained.

Reactions: Tony1951

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There appears to be a largish bag or box on the rear carrier that contains the battery. It pops, ans what looks like a battery jumps out, falls on the floor, then explodes. At the same time, something left in the bag/box also explodes. If I were to guess, I'd say it's a bodged up double battery arrangement that went wrong.

It could also be a large block-type cell-pack in the bag that split in two after the initial pop.

Last edited: