Here it is again Wisper or Oxygen?

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
I had an email earlier suggesting i may have issues with cycle to work scheme as my employer is restructuring and there is lots of budget issues etc so they maybe lowering the limit or suspending new claims for a period of time.

So if that falls through my options are expanded again. After doing lots and lots of reading and a test ride i came to the decision of a juicy bike as i thought Bob was great and i really liked the bike. If the CTWS is ok ill stick with that as im governed by a limit of £1k. If it does fall through i was thinking about putting a bit more cash to the pot and getting something like the Oxygen race or city. Then i was comparing to Wisper and theres not a huge difference.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading a 5 page thread from last June on this very subject here and also reading Older Timers Postabout his loan bike. I am totally new to this but im in love with the concept. I dont care about the on off switch thing, i think Old Timer had a valid point with customizations etc although i thought bikes had to have a motor cut off on the brakes when you pressed them? If so just keep the brake on at lights.

I am aware that these discussion took place pre 2011 range which i why i left that one in its grave and started this. Whats changed and have those fears of battery issues gone? I didnt understand the issue tbh as i thought Andrew had valid points by saying the manufacturer supplied aviation and military.

I need consistency and quality in a bike and to cycle beyond the limit easily using my own steam. I am going to create an high powered off road bike so this is going to be my fun go to work thing while get used to ebikes pottering at throttle doing 15mph. Power up hills is needed and i like the warranty which is something that Juicy is not yet ready to offer although im sure they will very soon as they have a good product.

I am hoping to get over to Loughborough tomorrow to look at a Oxygen bike at 50 Cycles. Does anyone have the new 2011 range and what do they think and what about wisper? I know some chose Giant but sorry i want a throttle and the looks of a Giant dont really do it for me. The £1400 price tag really is at the top end of my budget ideally i'd like to go lower to keep the Mrs happy. But everything i have read is coaxing me to the Oxygen brand. Shame i cant find any videos for it though.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Jon,
You might also want to consider an eZee which are excellent value for money. You can test ride and compare both Wisper and eZee at Onbike.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I was in love once! .. Drove me mad. Lots of sleepless nights dreaming about my 15 mile commute on all kinds of wonderful machines. My life was consumed with choice and my wife did as she usually does ... decided for me! .. The key thing she said to me as she led me away for a try ride at my local ebike shop was "there will always be something better". For once this went in. When I arrived at the shop I saw a range of normal looking bikes and they were mainly Cannodale and they all looked great. How did I choose? I road them until I found one that I just new was for me. It was almost instantaneous. Don't know why I just new. The electrics were secondary. Important obviously but secondary.
I road out of that shop on a Cannondale CX700 and its one of the best decisions I have ever made. Second only to hooking up with my wife.
If it goes wrong (which it has) then I take it back to the shop and they fix it for me (thats the bike not the wife!)
I will be completing a year of commuting in July and will be nearing 5000 miles.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Jon:

just another point on the 15mph limit business.

Not sure how or why it works, but on my Wisper, at speeds above about 10-11 mph, with the off-road button set to 'OFF-ROAD', I get substantially more power right up to maximum speed (about 18mph).

Conversely, with the off-road button set to 'legal', the bike is less powerful between 10-11 and 15.

I originally thought it would work as a speed cut-off, so that when the wheels were going round at 15.5 mph, the motor would stop working, but it doesn't work that way. I would like to ride a bike (like the Juicy, or the current Wisper) without the option of on/off-road, to judge the difference; and it really isn't just me - Rog of Harrow confirmed my impression, and actually explained it in electronic terms (beyond me I'm afraid!)

A

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
A simple test you can do Allen to confirm if the power is greater in 'off-road' mode is to climb a steep hill at about 6~7mph where the bike wont accelerate IE: its being held back by the climb then switch to 'off-road' mode. If the bike picks up or your pedalling effort suddenly becomes less then the controller does indeed run in a power control mode and not a speed limit mode. The key is to make sure the bike isn't capable of accelerating in normal mode...

Last edited:

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Hi Jon,
You might also want to consider an eZee which are excellent value for money. You can test ride and compare both Wisper and eZee at Onbike.
I have tried to call the Onbike Shop for most of the morning today as i went to Atmosphere to look at a Wisper, they had no Oxygen (i nearly suffocated lol), infact im struggling to find a shop with one i can look at within a sensible range of Stoke on Trent.

50 cycles - none in even the demos sold when i spoke to Loughborough
Powastation - only order in
Supreme bikes- closed
All bikes cheshire - no answer
Atmosphere - only had the eco
Onbike - no answer I was going to call into Onbike on the way back from Coventry but as there was no answer i didnt bother.

Im like ahhh i want to try these out lol

I rode the Wisper Eco today and was not overly impressed by it tbh, i was expecting more from the hype i read, i thought it was far too rigid and the Juicy bike actually gave a more comfortable ride. You can tell the difference between the two though in weight though with the Wisper having a slight edge. I was also unsure about the handlebar switch for L,M,H and on off. Is the Oxygen very similar? I saw the Alpino and that looked better with the speedo etc

If i can find a Wisper 905 Sport, a Oxygen race or Oxygen City those are the ones i want to compare. If i cant go for the Juicy im tempted by the Race as it seems to have what i want for off road stuff too.

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Are there any dealers on tonight that can assist with this?

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hi, there is a 2011 Oxygen Emate City available to test ride at our shop in Richmond upon Thames - is that within range?

newbie2011

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 8, 2011
Oxygen E Mate City

Hello Jon
I sent you a separate message about my Oxygen bike. I'm based in Loughborough and if you're coming over this way, you're very welcome to have a look and try mine out if 50Cycles don't have one at the moment.
Regards
Keith

C

Cyclezee

I have tried to call the Onbike Shop for most of the morning today as i went to Atmosphere to look at a Wisper, they had no Oxygen (i nearly suffocated lol), infact im struggling to find a shop with one i can look at within a sensible range of Stoke on Trent.

50 cycles - none in even the demos sold when i spoke to Loughborough
Powastation - only order in
Supreme bikes- closed
All bikes cheshire - no answer
Atmosphere - only had the eco
Onbike - no answer I was going to call into Onbike on the way back from Coventry but as there was no answer i didnt bother.

Im like ahhh i want to try these out lol

I rode the Wisper Eco today and was not overly impressed by it tbh, i was expecting more from the hype i read, i thought it was far too rigid and the Juicy bike actually gave a more comfortable ride. You can tell the difference between the two though in weight though with the Wisper having a slight edge. I was also unsure about the handlebar switch for L,M,H and on off. Is the Oxygen very similar? I saw the Alpino and that looked better with the speedo etc

If i can find a Wisper 905 Sport, a Oxygen race or Oxygen City those are the ones i want to compare. If i cant go for the Juicy im tempted by the Race as it seems to have what i want for off road stuff too.
Hi Jon,

Onbike are not open Mondays and Tuesdays. They should be open tomorrow, Wednesday. As I said, they have both Wisper and eZee bikes which should be available for test rides. I don't know about Oxygen bikes.

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Are there any dealers on tonight that can assist with this?
Hi Jon,

Yes we are very short with stocks now and we have another container coming in next month. We still have a few bikes of Emate Race and are more than keen to get it shipped to the nearest dealer from you.
BTW I emailed you already

Best regards

Andrew
Oxygen Bicycles

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Keith i have replied and thansk very much for the offer,

Aldby That will explain why no answer. I wont be that way again for a bit so wont get chance

Tim I appreciate the offer but i live 4 hours away by car so not really an option unless i get the train down. Im near Manchester in Stoke on Trent.

Andrew ill check my mails now, its a shame you dont have a dealer in this area as there seems to be a gap for any electric bike in Stoke/North Staffs

DBCohen

Pedelecer
May 2, 2007
Manchester
Keith i have replied and thansk very much for the offer,

Aldby That will explain why no answer. I wont be that way again for a bit so wont get chance

Tim I appreciate the offer but i live 4 hours away by car so not really an option unless i get the train down. Im near Manchester in Stoke on Trent.

Andrew ill check my mails now, its a shame you dont have a dealer in this area as there seems to be a gap for any electric bike in Stoke/North Staffs
Jon, I live in Manchester and should be taking delivery of an Oxygen Emate City in the next week or two. You are welcome to come up and give it a go if that helps.

Thanks,

David.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Jon
I'm longing to hear how you think our bikes compare with all those you are trying, and really pleased you tried the Juicy Sport first. We do listen to our customers and potential customers. The latest Sport was developed with feedback from two Police force test bikes, with one bike still going strong after two years of continuous test, still in its original configuration.

I'd love to know why you may not be able to go for the Sport (we have reasonable stock and more on the way, including 14AH and 16AH versions arriving in 12 days).

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Hi Bob

great to hear from you, I explained in another post im having issues with my employer and the cost of the bike plus additional redundancies are looming so they are not happy paying out that much money. I have you quote submitted it to HR and they came straight back with questions and uncertainty.

If i have to buy one out right my self then i am considering putting more money to the budget and/maybe getting finance not sure on that yet. I can get the Oxygen Race for not much more that the Juicy sport and that would be able to take me off road due to its set up.

If it helps though Bob, i tested the Wisper Eco yesterday and honestly i felt the Juicy sport was a better ride. If this is the case when i can get my hands on a Oxygen Race and City then i wont need to put any more money to the pot and ill buy the Juicy Sport. I felt you had a really great product and your enthusiasim for your product was fantastic.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Jon, you're wise to try as many bikes as you can and it's great you take the trouble to report back your observations.

Whichever bike you settle for, I look forward to your thorough review.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I rode the Wisper Eco today and was not overly impressed by it tbh
Hi Jon

If you can wait until June our new range will be in the UK they are all different and upgraded from the eco and the se through to the amazing new sel and Alpino.

The eco now has RST suspension and handles so much better than the old one. The price will be about £1,150

905eco 100.jpg

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Sorry I should have mentioned there will be a 705e step through too.

Regarding hype, please remember Bob that the Eco, SE, SEL, and Alpino are very different bikes.

For insistance;

Here is the eco drop out etc.

DSC_8095 100.jpg

And here is the SEL's

DSC_8053 100.jpg

Regards

David

Last edited: