Hesc suntour planetary gears.

Peter Hartley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 27, 2022
Has anyone got any idea where I can purchase planetary gears for a hesc suntour 250w motor? It was originally on a Carrera bike. Approximately 42mm in diameter. Can't find anything online. Nightmare. Thanks in advance.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
You could search aliexpress for 'hub motor gears' and see if you recognise them and then check with the seller that the dimensions are the same. You can use google lens to see if you can find the exact same hub motor under a different brand. It's unlikely Suntour make their own hub motors. Even Bafang only do final assembly of hub motors they buy in from a larger hub motor manufacturer which can be seen on one of the videos on youtube. So you may not be able to buy a set of planetary gears for your motor branded Suntour or even stated as Suntour HESC compatible but you should be able to find someone selling compatible planetary gears. I guess there could be the issue that Suntour have used different model hub motors at different times so really you have to visually check what planetary gears you need.

Can you replace your planetary gears separately or do you need the whole assembly with clutch plate together?

Worth searching this forum as you may find some informative threads regarding that hub motor that could have some useful advice.

Also Moore and Large are the official distributor of Suntour products in the UK and provide spares for Suntour HESC. Definitely worth giving them an email to see if they supply the part you need perhaps through a local bike shop.

Peter Hartley

Aug 27, 2022
You could search aliexpress for 'hub motor gears' and see if you recognise them and then check with the seller that the dimensions are the same. You can use google lens to see if you can find the exact same hub motor under a different brand. It's unlikely Suntour make their own hub motors. Even Bafang only do final assembly of hub motors they buy in from a larger hub motor manufacturer which can be seen on one of the videos on youtube. So you may not be able to buy a set of planetary gears for your motor branded Suntour or even stated as Suntour HESC compatible but you should be able to find someone selling compatible planetary gears. I guess there could be the issue that Suntour have used different model hub motors at different times so really you have to visually check what planetary gears you need.

Can you replace your planetary gears separately or do you need the whole assembly with clutch plate together?

Worth searching this forum as you may find some informative threads regarding that hub motor that could have some useful advice.

Also Moore and Large are the official distributor of Suntour products in the UK and provide spares for Suntour HESC. Definitely worth giving them an email to see if they supply the part you need perhaps through a local bike shop.
Thanks for such a detailed reply. I searched till 3am on AliExpress! The clutch is okay and gear wheels are held by circlip. I will email the company you suggested for advice. Thanks.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Thanks for such a detailed reply. I searched till 3am on AliExpress! The clutch is okay and gear wheels are held by circlip. I will email the company you suggested for advice. Thanks.
The search system on aliexpress is complete rubbish. For me it throws up lots of products not at all related to my search terms amongst the few items that do match it. Then when I click on an item that does look similar there are often other links on the bottom of that page for products that far better match my search terms so it can be a painful and long process getting what you want. Sometimes I find what I'm after for £12 lets say and then on the page is link to a cheaper supplier at the bottom and then on that supplier page there is a cheaper link again on the bottom of that page and so I end up paying less than half of the original price. Its such a rubbish site in that regard. Maybe take one of the gear wheels off, clean it all up and take a picture of it and then use google lens to search for a replacement.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Have to 100% agree with Ali search, it is pants.

Peter Hartley

Aug 27, 2022
The search system on aliexpress is complete rubbish. For me it throws up lots of products not at all related to my search terms amongst the few items that do match it. Then when I click on an item that does look similar there are often other links on the bottom of that page for products that far better match my search terms so it can be a painful and long process getting what you want. Sometimes I find what I'm after for £12 lets say and then on the page is link to a cheaper supplier at the bottom and then on that supplier page there is a cheaper link again on the bottom of that page and so I end up paying less than half of the original price. Its such a rubbish site in that regard. Maybe take one of the gear wheels off, clean it all up and take a picture of it and then use google lens to search for a replacement.
Will do. Thanks.

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Maybe include the number of teeth rather than the diameter I.e “planetary gear 36 teeth” or “ebike gear 36 teeth” which may widen the search.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Suntour isn't a standard Chinese motor. Its made in Taiwan and has two stage gears with helical primary and straight cut final similar to AKM motors but vey different. Something like 48T/12T. Best chance is to find a used motor on Ebay like this for £99 with 5 hrs to go or ask every Halfords if they have a scrap one you can buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: JollyRoger

Peter Hartley

Aug 27, 2022
Maybe include the number of teeth rather than the diameter I.e “planetary gear 36 teeth” or “ebike gear 36 teeth” which may widen the search.
Too stripped to count them! I estimate about 36, but eBay only has the bafang fun 8 ones. Far too small. Ridiculous that a wheel might get scrapped for three nylon gears.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
It's a pain I know but if the UK distributor won't supply Suntour HESC planetary gears maybe a international search would find a distributor who will.

It seems unacceptable to me that these planetary gears aren't available to buy. There really should be a law against this or at least a warning for such products before you buy them. People should have the right to repair such products.

I personally doubt they are fully made in Taiwan, a bit like Bafang they buy in their hub motors from a larger factory and finish and test them, themselves. I guess the Suntour HESC may be based around another supplier's hub motor but then has its own exclusive proprietary parts in order to profiteer from replacement parts or simply to prevent repair. Very annoying to say the least.

Reactions: Peter Hartley

Peter Hartley

Aug 27, 2022
I received replies from Halfords and hesc suntour Germany today. Both stating they can only supply entire hub motor. Disgusting excuse that it's a question of easier to replace by Halfords. A nylon gear wheel that costs pennies to produce rendering motor useless. What a shocking business model they have.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I received replies from Halfords and hesc suntour Germany today. Both stating they can only supply entire hub motor. Disgusting excuse that it's a question of easier to replace by Halfords. A nylon gear wheel that costs pennies to produce rendering motor useless. What a shocking business model they have.
Have you an estimate of how many miles your motor has done?

And more widely, what is a typical life e expectancy for hub motor gears, bearings, other? I saw Woosh suggesting I think 4000 or so miles to change bearings.

Peter Hartley

Aug 27, 2022
Have you an estimate of how many miles your motor has done?

And more widely, what is a typical life e expectancy for hub motor gears, bearings, other? I saw Woosh suggesting I think 4000 or so miles to change bearings.
I have no idea regarding mileage. I bought wheel second hand to replace a troublesome 500w effort on a paselec gs9 I bought last year. It must be a few years old. Internally all bearings and windings are fine. It was a smooth running hub until it's gears gave up. The planetary gears are toast. 45mm diameter and 32t. Nothing online similar. Should be a warning at Halfords regarding complete lack of spares. I have given up looking now tbh. Will probably just source another type of wheel.

luap321

Pedelecer
Aug 30, 2022
on face book market place i saw this ,Electric back wheel 27.5"(spare and repair) its a 250w hesc suntour hub when you click on it. its £90 but been on there for 24 weeks so they might take an offer the advert say
The hub motor works perfectly ,got a mechanical problem with the free hub not engaging free hub teeth rounded (when pedaling it's freewheeling ) This is sold as spare and repair.sold as seen please see pictures

its in temple mills london

Peter Hartley

Aug 27, 2022
on face book market place i saw this ,Electric back wheel 27.5"(spare and repair) its a 250w hesc suntour hub when you click on it. its £90 but been on there for 24 weeks so they might take an offer the advert say
The hub motor works perfectly ,got a mechanical problem with the free hub not engaging free hub teeth rounded (when pedaling it's freewheeling ) This is sold as spare and repair.sold as seen please see pictures

its in temple mills london
Thanks. Given up on that wheel tbh. If I threw more money at it and gears stripped again would be futile. We learn by our mistakes. Don't buy hesc motors! Thanks. Peter.

luap321

Pedelecer
Aug 30, 2022
Thanks. Given up on that wheel tbh. If I threw more money at it and gears stripped again would be futile. We learn by our mistakes. Don't buy hesc motors! Thanks. Peter.
too late i have already got my dad 1 and 1 myself + a frame with electrics, mine is going over to kt controller and if it was all good do my dads , then i read your post about the hubs

On Yer Bike

Just Joined
Mar 22, 2017
Middlesbrough
I'm in the process of seeing if I can 3D print these wheel's, but only if the bearing in the middle isn't bonded around the planetary gear wheel's. If they are, we'll, back to the drawing board again I'm afraid! Ian @ On Yer' Bike! M'bro

Reactions: JollyRoger

JollyRoger

Mar 17, 2023
I'm in the process of seeing if I can 3D print these wheel's, but only if the bearing in the middle isn't bonded around the planetary gear wheel's. If they are, we'll, back to the drawing board again I'm afraid! Ian @ On Yer' Bike! M'bro
Resin might do it-ABS is naughty for a multitude of reasons (mainly toxic fumes in production). . . . .PLA will melt/explode the minute they try to engage.......I thought the same yesterday when I was looking to make a spacer.

On the plus side, I know my smoke alarms work!