Hey all

ganey

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2021
Hey all, I'm new here.

I'm not new to ebikes, I've got a Raleigh folding bike that I've had a few years, I had to replace the controller on it and 3d print a new internal battery case.

I got a larger bike recently with more gears & 700c wheels as cycling 15 miles on a 20inch folder with only 7 gears isn't very fun.

My new(used) commuter bike has a bafang motor with only 6 pins? I think the controller is shot as the inside of the alloy case is full of corrosion.

I'm unsure on how to test the motor with the 6 pins, my other bike just has 3 phase wires so shows up fine on those cheap motor testers.

Any ideas on which replacement controller would be suitable? I don't mind mounting it elsewhere on the frame or soldering new connections etc. Thanks in advance

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a sensorless motor, so you can use any 36v controller for sensorless motors.

The three thick pins are the phase connections and the three thin ones are for a sensor - Probably a speed sensor.

If your controller is shagged, you can cut the motor wire off and solder it to your new controller. When you cut the wires, the colors inside should tell you what way to connect them. Those Bafang controllers are not easy to find, so you might have to fit a generic one, which is better anyway.

ganey

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2021
It's a sensorless motor, so you can use any 36v controller for sensorless motors.

The three thick pins are the phase connections and the three thin ones are for a sensor - Probably a speed sensor.

If your controller is shagged, you can cut the motor wire off and solder it to your new controller. When you cut the wires, the colors inside should tell you what way to connect them. Those Bafang controllers are not easy to find, so you might have to fit a generic one, which is better anyway.
Okay thanks that's good to know, I'm guessing I can probably just ignore the speed sensor wires when connecting to a new controller.

My current display is a kingmeter t320 (which i'm also not sure if it works, it has voltage reaching it) and it all seems to use the julet connectors. Would I be better to just buy a whole new controller kit rather than try and connect my current display & 12 magnet PAS?

Is there any 36v controllers/kits that are generally recommended?

Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You have to order an LCD to go with it. Why not use the speed sensor in the motor? If there's any suspicion about tye sensor, you have to order an external one.