Help! Hi all, just bought a 'broken' ebike. Some help needed. Falcoln Turbine.

UnclePuncher

Pedelecer
May 26, 2021
Nottingham
All the brake levers look so cheap and ugly. Tempted to get the magnet switch alone. Got lots of pairs of decent V-brake levers (non-ebike ones). Makes sense to make use of them instead.

Anyone used this style (mostly sold as 'for hydraulic levers'). Does it work well? I'd imagine the magnet could get lost/fall off in a crash, if not stuck on very well.

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
I`v got some for sale look in classifieds on the left 3 pin julet female never used with magnets still in bags.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
2 pin brakes use a Reed sensor these don't need the 5v supply, the three pin brakes use a hall sensor so you have Gnd, 5v & signal. Simply put it is down to the type of sensor used in the levers.

Reactions: UnclePuncher

UnclePuncher

Pedelecer
May 26, 2021
Nottingham
I`v got some for sale look in classifieds on the left 3 pin julet female never used with magnets still in bags.
Thanks. I have to try and get the bike working properly first and decide what I'm going to do with it*.

I may buy them but not yet. Don't hang on to them for me.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For 3 wire brakes one has to use hall effect brakes in the search.

UnclePuncher

Pedelecer
May 26, 2021
Nottingham
2 pin brakes use a Reed sensor these don't need the 5v supply, the three pin brakes use a hall sensor so you have Gnd, 5v & signal. Simply put it is down to the type of sensor used in the levers.
Mine appear to be a push switch. I took one apart. The blade hits the pushbutton (in the body of the lever).

UnclePuncher

Pedelecer
May 26, 2021
Nottingham
Hi again

Bike is working fine. Apart from I can't get the pedal assist/cadence sensor to work. I'm just using the throttle which is ok but not ideal.

I was waiting on a 3 pin julet extension as it wouldn't reach the speed controller since I relocated it. I've got that now but its still not doing anything. From memory (its a few years since I rode a different ebike) the motor should kick in as I'm pedaling, right? (after a revolution or two at most). I've tried it a bunch of times and nothing happens. Tried pedaling for a little while and no power assist happens. I disconnected the thumb throttle too but that didn't do anything. Bike is set to max power.

The sensor is working (or at least it appears to be) as I can see a tiny red LED on it when I spin the pedals with the ebike turned on.

Any ideas?

I'll post some picks of the sensor.

UnclePuncher

Pedelecer
May 26, 2021
Nottingham
I had a bit of a look to see how I can test if the PAS is working (before I noticed the light) but can't seem to find a way. Surely it'd give some kind of a signal as I pedal from magnets passing over the sensor. Tried testing it using my multimeter on resistance mode but nothing registered.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pedal sensor led should blink as it passes each magnet, if the light stays on then sounds like the wiring is connected in correct. One should see 5v on Gnd to 5v and 0 - 1v Gnd to signal as the magnet passes.
Is the controller definitely a Julet or is it a Higo ?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Which/what controller is being used ?

UnclePuncher

Pedelecer
May 26, 2021
Nottingham
Pedal sensor led should blink as it passes each magnet, if the light stays on then sounds like the wiring is connected in correct. One should see 5v on Gnd to 5v and 0 - 1v Gnd to signal as the magnet passes.
Is the controller definitely a Julet or is it a Higo ?
Thanks.

LED flashes briefly as the pedals turn. It doesn't stay on.

I can't test the voltages once its connected and the bike is on.

Its one of these yellow cables. Which is Julet isn't it?
Going to a speed controller with the same connectors. This one to be precise.
. 44946

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The fact it blinks on/off is good so sounds like it is wired ok, make sure the disc to sensor gap is about 1mm or less.
What happens with reverse pedal does it work then ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Julet and Higo both make a vert similar connector and they are a compatible fit, the issue is the wire pinouts don't match. But in your case the led blinking indicates they match.
Higo is used in the main by Bafang.

UnclePuncher

Pedelecer
May 26, 2021
Nottingham
Julet and Higo both make a vert similar connector and they are a compatible fit, the issue is the wire pinouts don't match. But in your case the led blinking indicates they match.
Higo is used in the main by Bafang.
Thanks again Neal.

I'll get a photo of the PAS. There is nothing really to adjust unfortunately.

UnclePuncher

Pedelecer
May 26, 2021
Nottingham

OK so if I leave the pedal arm in a particular orientation the LED will stay on. But a slight movement either way turns it off. I just noticed it did this, which is handy for the photo.
It'll blink a few times during a single pedal revolution.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One assumes the gap is small, have you tried the back pedal to see if it works ?
Which controller and display are you using ?

UnclePuncher

Pedelecer
May 26, 2021
Nottingham
I took some clearer photos of the sensor but I can't seem to upload them at the moment. My phone doesn't appear to want to upload photos I took with the open camera app. Not sure why.