Hi all , New here on forum .

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Hi all ,
Just to say hi , im new on the forum and hi to everyone . Im on the look out for an e bike nowadays as hills are beginning to take their toll on my back ..im into the hybrid type touristy type of bike with the nexus gearing in the hub ..also shock absorber on the front fork and under the seat of the saddle .. My current bike is a Raleigh Freedom 600 with nexus 7 gears in back hub and is a good bike ... but im looking now for a lighter frame and an e-bike to aid me with the hilly areas ..i dont mind travelling and would travel by train ..to try out now and then another region or city/town out on the bike also whilst staying say over night in a bnb ..but basically a bike for all terrain im looking for but which allows a pannier bag on back of it also ..Shall have to read up on the e-bikes as so much more to delve into and learn about on here .

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Not that many around with hub gears. Raleigh Motus is a common one (and higher spec Raleigh ebikes), but they almost certainly have a heavier frame. Might be worth considering adding a front hub kit to that bike; or possibly a crank drive. Woosh (https://wooshbikes.co.uk/) would be a good place to start looking for conversion kits; good for bikes as well but I don't think they do any hub ones at the moment.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Not that many around with hub gears. Raleigh Motus is a common one (and higher spec Raleigh ebikes), but they almost certainly have a heavier frame. Might be worth considering adding a front hub kit to that bike; or possibly a crank drive. Woosh (https://wooshbikes.co.uk/) would be a good place to start looking for conversion kits; good for bikes as well but I don't think they do any hub ones at the moment.
Hi thanks for the reply as appreciated thanks .. although not so many and your right there , but I have seen some e bikes with hub in the back wheel ..thing is I have a Raleigh bike which I bought some yrs ago , oiled up then put aside in shed for a season in winter and this most seasons ive had bike each season .. then decided to get back on bike a couple of months ago, bike i have was taken from the Dutch style of breaking system , where the brakes are within the back wheel inside the hub of the bike , and the main thing with the hub inside the back wheel I think im right in saying is not so much maintenance .

I haven't went to any shop or anyone to check on my bike as always been fine as it is today ..just my one grump about it is it is a heavy steel like frame , and am seriously thinking if I added anything lik electrics to it , then the weight would be even more so heavier in which isn't what a want , though is a thought as electrics inserted within a bike I have sure would be cool than buying a whole new e bike ?
but then again looking at prices of a new e bike maybe as well with a new bike ? .

Gonna check the link u sent me thanks ..only thing is the bike I have the now is a heavy frame this without any adjustments made with battery or such likes made electric as then would be heavier still which i don't want and so ill have a good look around the different stores and try some bikes out I think would be best to begin with ..thanks again for the info as all info is much appreciated thanks again.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you want hub gears whether Nexus/Alfine, Nuvinci or Rolhoff you can only have a mid drive motor or front hub motor or even a friction drive you can't have a rear hub drive.

• Agree
Reactions: budsy

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
If you want hub gears whether Nexus/Alfine, Nuvinci or Rolhoff you can only have a mid drive motor or front hub motor or even a friction drive you can't have a rear hub drive.
Hi Nealh and thanks much for info , is there any difference in such ^ ?

I admit I don't know about all this as no experience at all with e bikes

but I guess because Nexus style gears are in back hub , id be best to test them out in a store . Now got you lol thanks for info , im just mixed up in this changing World :)

Last edited: