Hi everyone

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Good afternoon Dave,
I think a lot of cyclists and pedelecers would like to have a mobile bike shop on speed-dial.
https://www.hintoncycles.co.uk/
I suspect that your assembly service would be very useful for those who have purchased their first bike in a box.

Reactions: Eagleowl

Hinty

Just Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Its also quite nice to get "Hands On" with different models.
(Well - some more than others:D)
Biggest problem we have is explaining to customers that we dont work on bikes that are not road legal.(Recently had to say no to a 1500W motor fitted to a rod-brake Hercules)

Reactions: flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Biggest problem we have is explaining to customers that we dont work on bikes that are not road legal.
That's a real shame because I don't help people that don't help people with illegal electric bikes. I have to put you on my block list now, which was previously empty.

• Dislike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
every kit you can buy of ebay ect has the option to up the amps and speed limit so under law they all have a off road switch even if you never use it it is still there.

Hinty

Just Joined
Apr 23, 2019
It seems I may not fit in with you bad boy e-bikers.

Still, for the morons that have no respect for the law, their safety or anybody elses - I couldnt care less.
One of my best mates is paralysed after being hit by a prat on a 1000 Watt bike that had no brakes. His wife and daughter may not share your views.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's a real shame because I don't help people that don't help people with illegal electric bikes. I have to put you on my block list now, which was previously empty.
put yourself in his place for a moment.
It's his livelihood. He needs public liability insurance.
Let's imagine for a moment that he fixed some cable operated brakes on an e-bike fitted with a 1.5kW motor, the kind of things you can get on aliexpress for $100. The customer has an accident.
What then?
The insurance may decline the claim and rightly so.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ebike shop sell them all day long and he has no problems and offers warranty with dongles fitted.

and if you ride any bike with no brakes then it will only end one way, splat.

and it does not matter what power the motor is as if you can change the settings to remove the speed limit no kit you can buy is uk road legal as it is still classed as a of road switch.

not that i really give a crap as this will only come up when someone gets killed buy one and a test case is brought as it is a valid point of law.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's up to 3 now. That's the highest it's been since 2011. If I can keep it increasing at this rate, soon I won't have to answer ant more questions.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
3?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
ebike shop sell them all day long and he has no problems and offers warranty with dongles fitted.

and if you ride any bike with no brakes then it will only end one way, splat.

and it does not matter what power the motor is as if you can change the settings to remove the speed limit no kit you can buy is uk road legal as it is still classed as a of road switch.

not that i really give a crap as this will only come up when someone gets killed buy one and a test case is brought as it is a valid point of law.
the difference is if and when you assist someone like to install a dongle, the insurance company(ies) will go after everyone they can, including you.
What will your wife have to say about that?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dunno as not got one of those things but it is not just ebike shop fitting dongles now and honoring the warranty.

like i can go to b and q buy a chain saw and go start chopping ppls heads of with it are the insurance company's going to sue b and q well no.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
dunno as not got one of those things but it is not just ebike shop fitting dongles now and honoring the warranty.

like i can go to b and q buy a chain saw and go start chopping ppls heads of with it are the insurance company's going to sue b and q well no.
of course not. However, if the on/off switch malfunctions and the customer hurts someone or himself, the insurance companies will certainly look for someone to blame and that can include the shop.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not happend yet tho has it and bikes with dongles are being sold every day with warranty which according to bosch they do not support yet not a problem for ebike shop and now others also offer the same warranty with dongles.

they just must have lot better legal advisers than you can afford lol :p

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
not happend yet tho has it and bikes with dongles are being sold every day with warranty which according to bosch they do not support yet not a problem for ebike shop and now others also offer the same warranty with dongles.

they just must have lot better legal advisers than you can afford lol :p
the OP is a mobile mechanic, he can work on brakes for example. If he knew that the motor was 1.5KW and the customer does not have suitable hydraulic brakes, he should have warned his customers.
He may get paid something like £35 sorting out some dodgy brakes but the 1.5kW conversion exposes him to additional professional risks.
I often have conversations with bike shops who do not repair e-bikes because their insurance does not cover them sufficiently.

• Informative

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It seems I may not fit in with you bad boy e-bikers.

Still, for the morons that have no respect for the law, their safety or anybody elses - I couldnt care less.
One of my best mates is paralysed after being hit by a prat on a 1000 Watt bike that had no brakes. His wife and daughter may not share your views.
Been saying for months, probably years, the open support of obviously illegal bikes both on here and other places is ridiculous, at best short sighted and dangerous. Only a matter of time before we lose many of the priviliges we currently enjoy.
Last week out in Derbyshire another fool out on a 2kw ebike, boasting how fast it was. (had front and back hub motors) Rangers sat eating sandwhiches within earshot. They will simply ban us all. (not sure but I believe NP land has blanket speed limit already)
Ebay has more illegal stuff than legal.
Seller of my own bike (2nd hand Haibike) thought fact it had a dongle fitted made no difference to legaility.
Situation is a mess. At moment police /rangers turn a blind eye. They wont forever.
There was a move to ban pedelecs/ebikes from Lady Bower. Turned out they would need a by law...
Walkers, MTBs and casual visitors dont want us, making ourselves even less popular by encouraging stuff that should be registered, taxed, insured and MOTd just makes situation worse. Just buy legal stuff. Its great. If you want to go faster buy a motorbike.
And idiots posting about it on herw might as well ride around with a placard saying "I, m riding an uninsured, not taxed, unregistered motorbike, and not sure wether I have license for it either"
Barmy.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can see at some point these bikes will be registered to the buyer and some sort of tax and insurance will have to be paid as even if you buy a electric car over 40k you still have to pay road tax of £350 for the first 5 years.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Been saying for months, probably years, the open support of obviously illegal bikes both on here and other places is ridiculous, at best short sighted and dangerous. Only a matter of time before we lose many of the priviliges we currently enjoy.
Last week out in Derbyshire another fool out on a 2kw ebike, boasting how fast it was. (had front and back hub motors) Rangers sat eating sandwhiches within earshot. They will simply ban us all. (not sure but I believe NP land has blanket speed limit already)
Ebay has more illegal stuff than legal.
Seller of my own bike (2nd hand Haibike) thought fact it had a dongle fitted made no difference to legaility.
Situation is a mess. At moment police /rangers turn a blind eye. They wont forever.
There was a move to ban pedelecs/ebikes from Lady Bower. Turned out they would need a by law...
Walkers, MTBs and casual visitors dont want us, making ourselves even less popular by encouraging stuff that should be registered, taxed, insured and MOTd just makes situation worse. Just buy legal stuff. Its great. If you want to go faster buy a motorbike.
And idiots posting about it on herw might as well ride around with a placard saying "I, m riding an uninsured, not taxed, unregistered motorbike, and not sure wether I have license for it either"
Barmy.
Well said. My own view entirely. There is an uncaring, selfish angle to the widespread use of illegal ebikes. If this was youngsters illegally souping up cars and lashing them around, us oldies would label them hooligans. Yet here we are supposed to be responsible and disregarding the law in entirely the same way.