Hi everyone

Pointyhairboss

Just Joined
Aug 2, 2020
Hi Folks,
i’m hoping you are all able to give advice on ebiking which is very new to me.
In my youth I did a fair amount of cycling but not for the last 20 years so i’m having to
learn everything again!
I’m a big guy and also am on my 3rd artificial hip (2 on left and one on right) and my
main reason for getting an ebike is to get fitter and lose some weight. Walking distances
is impossible for me but biking is great as there is no impact on the hips.

I have just purchased a RooDog Avatar and have done a few miles.
Everything is going well except that I find getting into the saddle quite difficult.
The bike has a throttle to get you going but this isn’t working well due to my weight.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to increase the throttle speed as this
would help me?

Thanks in advance.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Are you saying that your throttle is limited to 4 mph? If so, there is a setting in the LCD to change it, but there might be a password that you have to enter. Best to ask Roo Dog first. they're normally very helpful if you explain your problem.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The bike has a throttle to get you going but this isn’t working well due to my weight.
You might be the "larger-dimensioned" guy I passed yesterday on (I think) a Roodog Avatar speeding along at about 12mph on throttle only... no attempt to peddle and help the poor, struggling little motor whining it's head off!

I could feel the radiant heat and smell burning coming off the motor/controller!

Seriously, as a larger guy myself, you need to be careful you don't overload and burn-out these things like the guy I saw yesterday was... it's guaranteed to end in tears.

Pointyhairboss

Just Joined
Aug 2, 2020
I don’t think it was me as I rarely use just the throttle and 12mph is far too slow. Also me getting all the way to Norfolk would be amazing as i’m in Basingstoke :)
I used to do a lot of cycling and just can’t cycle slowly. This is why I decided on an ebike as my last outing on my road bike nearly killed me!

On another note I assume there are no implications to changing the chain ring? I need much higher gearing as my cadence maxs out around 17mph.
I’m not sure what is fitted at the moment but I used to run a 54T?