Hi Everyone

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Myself and my wife are starting off pedelecing - she has bought a second hand Wisper 705 (575 battery) and sold her old bike( sensible) and I have bought a Bafang mid motor conversion kit for my old Boardman 29er (possibly not so sensible ! - this was after having a go from someone locally that converts bikes to e-bikes as a retirement hobby !). We were planning on cycling round exploring North Yorkshire's roads and tracks at weekends and Jan would possibly use to commute to work (where trying to park is a nightmare).

Reactions: Woosh

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
So we went out together on our bikes this morning and came back with huge smiles on our faces. We had to replace the battery on Jan's second hand wisper 705 last week (the 575 battery couldn't be resurrected, useful lesson buying second hand)and we splashed out on the 700wh version. We did a little circuit round North Yorkshire and it was brilliant. Jan had assist level 3 and used the throttle on big hills. I measured the voltage before and after the ride and it had dropped by 2.5v over the 22 miles, so plenty of range left. What a well designed and engineered piece of kit the 705 is, it shot up the hills, is very comfortable. My bafang conversion was great , the speed limits cut in on the lower assist levels and I couldn't keep up ! The lower assist levels on the bafang have a combination of too much power and too low speed limits, but I've ordered the usb cable to reprogram these. We're going to have some great fun over the coming years, we will definitely use the e-bikes for journeys where we would have used the car.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
The lower assist levels on the bafang have a combination of too much power and too low speed limits, but I've ordered the usb cable to reprogram these.
Cable arrived today - reprogrammed it today so level 1=10% power 2=20% power 3=30% power etc and removed the level related assist speed limits, so it just has the same motor assist speed limit regardless of level. What a difference feels like I can add some of my own pedalling effort now to the motor assist - not sure I will really go above level 3 - I should have got a BBS01B !

Reactions: Oldie

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Went on a longer ride - its much better - on the flat and downhill can stay at the lower power levels (this must be kinder to the little cog on the back cassette?) and save the higher power levels for lower gears on hills - went up some ridiculous steep ones yesterday

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
We went on a slightly longer ride today (27 miles/1000 ft of ascent). Jan used level 3 on her wisper, with a generous dollop of throttle on the hills, or when she sees racing cyclists! Range must be very good considering the speed she was going at !, her battery was down to 38.0 v. What does that correspond to ? - somewhere between 2/3 to 1/2 the battery left ? We'd done a 12 mile return journey to the shops yesterday (including me trying to find the top speed of my Boardman 29er conversion on the flat) but when I tried to charge the Hailong 48v 20Ah battery, the charger thought the battery was full and went straight onto green light. When I came back today it was showing 88% ( which can't be correct) after 40 miles. I do stay on assist level 2 or 3 apart from the hills and top speed test, which I have programmed to 20-30% power. That said, I do sometimes need to put some intense pedalling effort in to keep up with Jan on the Wisper!

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
What other changes did you make eg Throttle?
On my Boardman with the Bafang mid motor? Must admit I haven't fitted the throttle, am I missing out ? I was struggling to think when I'd use it

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Must admit I haven't fitted the throttle, am I missing out ? I was struggling to think when I'd use it
Here's a few:
1. When your pedalling is hampered by something you're carrying in one hand or a big shopping bag over your shoulder, you can use the throttle to get you started.
2. When you have to stop on a steep hill, it's much easier to get going again with a throttle
3. To give an instant over-ride whatever power setting you have on the LCD, especially if you're daft enough to set it with the maximum number of levels. That's useful on roundabouts; to get a burst of speed to beat traffic lights; to get a burst of speed when you need to escape from potential danger; to save a lot of button pressing, when you get a short steep hill. like hump-back bridge; when you overtake a roadie and shout, "get a motor" at them and they start chasing you.
4. When you fall off your bike and it hurts too much to pedal.
5. When your knee suddenly goes towards the end of a very long ride.
6. When your pedal spindle snaps.
7. When you forgot to fully tighten your pedal on your new installation, and the pedal comes loose and knackers the thread so that you can't put it back in again.
8. When your left hand crank comes loose and starts making that clonking noise.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Here's a few:
1. When your pedalling is hampered by something you're carrying in one hand or a big shopping bag over your shoulder, you can use the throttle to get you started.
2. When you have to stop on a steep hill, it's much easier to get going again with a throttle
3. To give an instant over-ride whatever power setting you have on the LCD, especially if you're daft enough to set it with the maximum number of levels. That's useful on roundabouts; to get a burst of speed to beat traffic lights; to get a burst of speed when you need to escape from potential danger; to save a lot of button pressing, when you get a short steep hill. like hump-back bridge; when you overtake a roadie and shout, "get a motor" at them and they start chasing you.
7. When you forgot to fully tighten your pedal on your new installation, and the pedal comes loose and knackers the thread so that you can't put it back in again.
Haha, that sounds like from personal experience !, ok, I'm convinced, but I guess I need to fit brake sensors and gear sensors !

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Here's a few:
Thanks Saneagle, I couldn’t have put it better myself! That’s why all Wispers have a throttle type override to the main power settings. May I quote you?

All the best, David

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks Saneagle, I couldn’t have put it better myself! That’s why all Wispers have a throttle type override to the main power settings. May I quote you?

All the best, David
I make all my stuff for public service. I give licence to use any of it in any way you want, except to oppress anyone or do anything illegal with it, nor must you edit any of it to change the meaning.

All bikes should have such a throttle. I can't understand why they don't - probably too many ignorant people spreading disinformation about their legality. I think I'll have to put Marianna Spring onto it. That would be much better use of her time.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I make all my stuff for public service. I give licence to use any of it in any way you want, except to oppress anyone or do anything illegal with it, nor must you edit any of it to change the meaning.

All bikes should have such a throttle. I can't understand why they don't - probably too many ignorant people spreading disinformation about their legality. I think I'll have to put Marianna Spring onto it. That would be much better use of her time.
Thanks!

Get her onto electric car quoted ranges whilst you're at it!!

All the best, David