hi folks new member down mayday mayday lcd info needed

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Sorry for all the questions. What you've said doesn't make sense and I'm left very confused. I've been working on electric bikes for 10 years and never heard of a bike behaving like you describe. I've seen the motor kick and cut out immediately, and I've seen them cut out under load, and I've seen them cut out because of the speed limit, but I've never seen one run then cut out after a short time and stay cut out. I can't think of any process or fault that could make that happen, so I believe that I'm missing something from the story somewhere. It makes me more suspicious when you're relaying second hand info, so please be sure of what you've done and what you say.

Hopefully, starting from the beginning will sort it.

davidenglanduk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 18, 2020
Leeds uk
Sorry for all the questions. What you've said doesn't make sense and I'm left very confused. I've been working on electric bikes for 10 years and never heard of a bike behaving like you describe. I've seen the motor kick and cut out immediately, and I've seen them cut out under load, and I've seen them cut out because of the speed limit, but I've never seen one run then cut out after a short time and stay cut out. I can't think of any process or fault that could make that happen, so I believe that I'm missing something from the story somewhere. It makes me more suspicious when you're relaying second hand info, so please be sure of what you've done and what you say.

I have been helping my

Right here we go my brother built a bike without lcd display and it runs great. He then built another but the controller stopped working. So we bought a more up to date kit with a lcd controller.. Niether of us have ever programed one before and has it came with no instructions we didn't even know there was a start up programme.. Thats where you came in.. So tomorrow to stop by brother endlessly messing with it when i am not there. I am taking over the "project". Lol and thats where we are at the moment if that makes sense.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have been helping my

Right here we go my brother built a bike without lcd display and it runs great. He then built another but the controller stopped working. So we bought a more up to date kit with a lcd controller.. Niether of us have ever programed one before and has it came with no instructions we didn't even know there was a start up programme.. Thats where you came in.. So tomorrow to stop by brother endlessly messing with it when i am not there. I am taking over the "project". Lol and thats where we are at the moment if that makes sense.
Yes. I'm not saying your guilty of anything. It's that when we don't get first hand info, it's easy to misunderstand the facts. I just want to help you get your bike going.

davidenglanduk

Oct 18, 2020
Leeds uk
Yes. I'm not saying your guilty of anything. It's that when we don't get first hand info, it's easy to misunderstand the facts. I just want to help you get your bike going.
I know that and appreciate your help a lot. But whenever i go to my brothers to help him he's usually faffed about with it. So i end up as confused as you. Hence tomorrow starting again on it at my home .. Far away from him and his fat fingers . I think i prefer building motorcycles to this if I'm honest

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As vfr has said best to have first hand info from the horses mouth as to what has been done, rather then from the jockey who has been tinkering and relaying.

Last edited:

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
The golden rule with fault-finding is to eliminate as many variables as possible. It sounds like your brother is a variable. You therefore need to eliminate him

• :D
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
He could be 86'd. That's a new term I learnt yesterday. Here's an explanation. The story is absolutely fascinating in terms of what's going on today with manipulation of information:

Last edited:

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
He could be 86'd. that's a new term i learnt yesterday. here's an explanation. the story is absolutely fascinating in terms of what's going on today with manipulation of information:
Interesting.
I know everyone's working from home nowadays but this guy is taking it a bit far- working from his car. Poor fella

davidenglanduk

Oct 18, 2020
Leeds uk
But not literally :rolleyes:.
I have . I've had it running today believe it or not but it doesn't seem to hold on to its memory. I think there's a instant cut of off from all voltage once the battery switch is killed.. I presume the lcd needs a constant feed of its own.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Interesting.
I know everyone's working from home nowadays but this guy is taking it a bit far- working from his car. Poor fella
I've watched him trying to do other more serious videos in his house, where he gets invaded by his young kids. His other videos with Robert Barnes are absolutely fascinating. Barnes is like a talking encyclopedia . He seems to know everything about law and everything that happened in history. He never hesitates or thinks when asked difficult questions. the information just comes straight out.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lcd's take a 5v feed direct from the battery via the controller. Some displays have there own internal back up battery.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Lcd's take a 5v feed direct from the battery via the controller. Some displays have there own internal back up battery.
I think you're getting mixed up, Neal unless I'm misunderstanding you. They operate from battery voltage. Internally, they have their own 5v regulator to supply the CPU.

davidenglanduk

Oct 18, 2020
Leeds uk
Does this gelo... Without the instructions for the lcd i am flying blind here. I know nothing of the codes.. Been in touch with suppliers but even they're struggling.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think you're getting mixed up, Neal unless I'm misunderstanding you. They operate from battery voltage. Internally, they have their own 5v regulator to supply the CPU.
Yep, I stand corrected. Too much going on in the little cells at the mo.

davidenglanduk

Oct 18, 2020
Leeds uk
That shows what I said. What are you trying to say?
Like i say if i let it do the learning process. And then turn it off unconnect the intelligence wire and then turn it back on nothing happens after that.. Lcd lights up but no power meter lights and wont run.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Does this gelo... Without the instructions for the lcd i am flying blind here. I know nothing of the codes.. Been in touch with suppliers but even they're struggling.
The instruction you posted above is mixed up regarding reversing the motor. That's typical of Chinese instructions. They often don't have a clue how their stuff works.