Hi from HaslemerR

thepm

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 25, 2016
GU27
Hi. I am hoping to learn more about electric bikes in order to make an informed purchase. Any advice will be gratefully received

Reactions: LeighPing

thepm

Dec 25, 2016
GU27
Yes Haslemere. Thank you. I have been looking at an Ave XH5 bike with a Bosch battery which has been reduced because of some cosmetic damage but I have seen a posting on the internet that they went out of business 2 years ago. The company may have been bought by another company but can anyone tell me if the make still has any back-up? I have also seen a similar bike on EBay from Greenway that is half the price with a Samsung battery. It is hard to fathom what is being offered. Can anyone throw some light on the current market. As a newbie I would be most grateful for any insight.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
What sort of bike do you want and why?

• Useful

thepm

Dec 25, 2016
GU27
I am retired, so not for commuting. Mainly for exercise, which I've been advised to do more of. It's quite hilly where I live which is probably why I don't use my current cycle much. I will probably use it mainly off road.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Ok so a fun bike for off-roading. How far and how much help do you want?
How big and fit are you?
Remember some people here are over 60 and over 17 stone with athsma etc, it's nothing new.
How handy with tools are you?
Oh and how much cash were you thinking of min to max.

thepm

Dec 25, 2016
GU27
Not that big. Not that fit. Reasonably handy with tools. 14 stone. Looking for something reliable at a reasonable price. Are you a dealer?

thepm

Dec 25, 2016
GU27
For example this bike on Ebay is £765.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREENWAY-electric-mountain-bike-Samsung-cell-lithium-battery-LCD-PAS-system-/111939739034?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

This is about a third of the price of many similar bikes I have been looking at. I am trying to find out why that is. Is it rubbish or are the other bikes overpriced? I'm trying to understand the market and came onto this forum to see if anyone had any answers.

It sounds like you guys are into customisation. Unfortunately I don't have the skills.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
No he's not. Although, there's a few on here. D8ve's just very handy with spanners.. :)
D8veh is better with more experience.
I have done a cd replacement and a kit install. Along with some mods to my bikes, changing gears from derailleur to hub gear and keeping my bikes on the road.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The bike appears to be standard Chinese build, with a spare 10ah battery for £800 that's a great price for a new bike.
Don't expect outstanding quality components but it should last well enough.
You can replace things that fail with better parts cheaply.
It would tempt me but I have other priorities and options..
Aftercare we don't know how good?
Woosh whisper etc, on here have a proven history of looking after the buyers.

• Informative