Hi from Hilly Gloucestershire

OldPhot

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 14, 2015
Hi Iam a keen cyclist & motorcyclist who is researching converting my full suspension mtb into a powerful machine that will help me get up the local steep hills as well as help me get cycle fit again, this has been the best website for all things electric bicycle..I look forward to my exciting journey

Attachments

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Hi
What part of Gloucestershire are you from?
I'm in the Forest of Dean
I put a oxydrive kit on my bike, best money I have spent in a long time

Steve

OldPhot

Aug 14, 2015
Hi Steve I'm in Stroud, my girlfriend & I are planning to take our bikes to FOD tomorrow as Tara's never been before..if you are around it would be great to meet up & see your bike closeup

Cheers Jeremy

OldPhot

Aug 14, 2015
Oh initially the cafe car park then depending on the weather try the fodka trail etc, only single track and no downhill stuff

D

Deleted member 4366

That Cannondale will be very tricky to convert. Get yourself a more suitable donor.

Reactions: OldPhot

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
hope you like mud ;) dh will be a nightmare in the wet ;(

HillyBilly

Jul 30, 2015
Stroud/ Cotswold mountains
Hi Iam a keen cyclist & motorcyclist who is researching converting my full suspension mtb into a powerful machine that will help me get up the local steep hills as well as help me get cycle fit again, this has been the best website for all things electric bicycle..I look forward to my exciting journey
If your a risk taker look at E ram on kickstarter .big risk for big hills.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Blimey how tall are you OldPhot that seat post it mahoosively high you would have to be 7ft tall to get up there.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bike way to small if its that high tho id need a step ladder to un mount that lol.

OldPhot

Aug 14, 2015
Haha the frame is a medium, so small and better off road to climb over the bike etc when riding off road, the seat post goes right down for downhilling, the forks are slightly too short for the frame & from one of my other bikes just whilst I set things up.
I agree it won't be easy to convert, so currently researching/exploring fitting a BB 750w Bafang kit, with a 48v battery(s) mounted either side of the top tube or in a rucksack..
I have also looked at rear hub kits but not sure whether they will get me up the local steep hills (the whole point why I want an electric bike) as well as a Bafang kit.
I could go for a standard hard tail frame with a quality suspension seat post but when you've ridden a quality full sus then it's difficult to go back..;-)
The Stealth 1000watt cyclotricity bike really appeals, however straight away I would want to fit hydraulic brakes & a decent fork to improve it further..

One a side note two months ago I was on a trip to Brussels where I met a 70 year old shop owner who arrived on a Scott/Bosch full suspension mtb.. He said he was able to get about Brussels quicker than any car in the traffic and up the many hills, plus ride it in the Alps at the weekend, ever since then I have wanted something similar but cannot afford / justify the £4k to do the same.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

There's plenty of decent full suspension bikes with a frame triangle big enough to fit a battery. I guarantee that you'll soon get fed up with a battery in a back-pack.

There's also plenty of hub-motors that can deal with steep hills, especially if you use a 48v geared one.

OldPhot

Aug 14, 2015
Hi D8veh, thanks for your wise words,
what combos would you recommend for a quality full sus & electric kit? (Million dollar question!)
I have a budget of £1500 (Far short of a million dollars)
which full sus bike frames would give me enough space for battery with 17/18" frame size? (Short legs)
Thanks Jeremy

D

Deleted member 4366

For a donor bike, you have to look at the Ebay or Gumtree listings. I can give you examples, but it's more a q uestion of what is available when you're looking. There's a whole thread on Endless-sphere about it.

If you use Ebay on a desktop/laptop computer, on the left side is an option to select type of suspension, so you can see only all the full suspension ones. Ideal, is one with a large triangle with the shock located at the top or back of the triangle. Here's one the same as mine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROCKY-MOUNTAIN-ELEMENT-10-2010-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-26-WHEEL-/261993970675?hash=item3d000ebbf3

You could get just a frame and swap all your stuff over to it.

You need to tell us more details about what you want to do before we can advise the best motor. What type of hills? How heavy are you? How fast do you want to go?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
DSCF0041.JPG The Cannondale looks to good to cannibalise and may me better to sell and buy another decent one as d8veh has linked to, I myself got a nice Cube AMS off Fleabay.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015