Hi from Judy, a mere woman with a Cyclamatic problem!

Judy

Just Joined
Jun 24, 2013
Yesterday I was following a group of male cyclists up hill but they were so slow I had to keep using my brakes. My electric power then failed and won't restart even though the battery is fully charged. What is wrong and how do I correct it?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi Judy, Im afraid I cant really help much with your problem apart from the obvious things of checking wiring/fuses or whatever but someone more knowledgable will surely be along very soon ;)

In the meantime ....welcome to the forum and I hope its not long till you are cycling swiftly past those male cyclists up the hill and letting them eat your dust lol :cool:

Lynda :)

PS.....whats with this 'mere woman' bit.... women are great , we just need mens help with the techie stuff thats all......well, I do anyway !!

Last edited:

jcubbin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 30, 2011
Liverpool
Hi Judy,

I also have a cyclamatic and very recently had a power related problem with it. What exactly is the fault?

Are the 3 lights on the handlebar lit?
You haven't knocked the on/off button on the handlebars turning the assistance off?
Does it work using just the throttle?
Have you tried charging the battery and does the charger start off showing a red led and then change to a green led once fully charged since this happened.
Can you use a voltmeter? if so remove the battery and test the terminals to check if any voltage is coming out from the battery.
You probably shouldn't do this one but i did and it confirmed to me that it was a fault with the battery pack but proved the electrics on the bike where ok. I plugged the charger in to the battery when still in position on the bike and switched on then with one hand close to the brake i twisted the throttle and the bike started to move proving to me that the electrics where functioning ok and it was a fault in the battery pack.

Hopefully this should give you somewhere to start.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
It is possible the brakes cutouts are faulty or have a bad connection.

I don't have a cyclematuc . Can you trace the cutout wires back to the controller And unplug them? If the bike then works you know they are the issue

I have spare ones from an 8fun kit you can have if you need

Cheers
Kirstin (a man with a mere woman's name)

D

Deleted member 4366

Two easy things to check which the others pointed out, but just to make it clear.

You know about the stupid red button on the throttle which is too easy to accidentally press when you change gear, and it switches off the motor?

When you pull the brake levers they operate switches that cut the power. Sometimes a lever or switch gets stuck, which keeps the power off. Push the levers fully out to see if that releases the switch.

One other possibility: If you follow the wire from the motor behind the frame, there's a hidden connector. Mine was in heatshrink sleeving, so not easy to see or get at. Try pushing both sides of the wire inwards to make sure that the connectors are fully home.

After these things, you need a meter to find the problem.

Let us know how you get on.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Don't you dare call yourself a mere woman.
I am a proud father and grandfather of women.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
'eyeroll' women drivers :)
I know I know.....it must be really hard for you men to have to live with the knowledge that we are soooo much better at driving , generally, than you poor men.....but hey, dont let it upset you too much, I for one try my very best to make allowances for you all on the roads ;) :cool:

Lynda :)