Hi from Leeds!

Ste

Just Joined
Apr 10, 2013
Hi Folks,

I joined as I'm on the hunt for my first electric bike. I've been browsing for a while but I'm still not sure which way to go, the Grace MX S is top of my list but I'm not sure how likely I am to come under scrutiny when ridden on the roads as most rides inevitably involve some road riding! But its a great looking machine.

The Alien bike off road conversion kit is also appealing as I have a half decent bike I can fit it to but I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on a kit that may not be able to handle the rougher terrain. My main concern is torque though im not a big unit, im 6ft2 and 13 Stone.

Anyway it seems most questions I have are already answered on the forums so I'm sure ill find the information I need. :)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Ste

I should try both the S and standard MX before you buy. The S version is not allowed on UK roads without it being Type Approved and taxed, insured etc... (there is a lot of chat on this subject on the forum) If you are caught riding an S bike on public roads or thoroughfares and you hold a driving licence you could actually end up losing it.

I have ridden both and apart from the assistance not cutting out at 15.5mph on the S version there really is not much difference.

All the best

David

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Ste

Just Joined
Apr 10, 2013
Hi Ste

I should try both the S and standard MX before you buy. The S version is not allowed on UK roads without it being Type Approved and taxed, insured etc... (there is a lot of chat on this subject on the forum) If you are caught riding an S bike on public roads or thoroughfares and you hold a driving licence you could actually end up losing it.

I have ridden both and apart from the assistance not cutting out at 15.5mph on the S version there really is not much difference.

All the best

David
That's great info David, thanks.

Are there any bikes that have a form of de-restricting the speed limit? Something you can retro fit so when riding on road it is fully road legal and can't exceed the limits but when fitted you have more top speed.

I think my main concern is that I primarily want the bike for fun, making a fixed 15mph limit for me a none option as I'm a keen rider I can keep that pace on any flat trail, but it would be nice to use to go to work on the warmer days. I usually jump on the train for my rides rather than drive hence the want for a road legal option.

I need to do some more research for getting the bike registered, this I have no problem with as long as it can be ridden off road once registered. I just wonder how likely you are to actually get it registered these days.

Cheers Croxden, great link!

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Hi Folks,

I joined as I'm on the hunt for my first electric bike. I've been browsing for a while but I'm still not sure which way to go, the Grace MX S is top of my list but I'm not sure how likely I am to come under scrutiny when ridden on the roads as most rides inevitably involve some road riding! But its a great looking machine.

:)
I succumbed to temptation and bought the Grace, the larger framed version. I am pleased except for the change in the weather. Drat.