Help! Hi,from manchester, i have a problem with my cyclamatic e bike Rear wheel

Johnny F

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 31, 2021
Hi, i just bought a second hand cyclamatic power plus e bike, i noticed the rear wheel spokes were loose, i tightened the spokes up(never done this before) and i guess i over tightened them, i turned my throttle and the rear hub made a strange noise,now the wheel will not revolve with the throttle, i now do not know what to do, im about the take off my rear wheel to see what the problem is, is there any hints or tips of what i should do to solve my problem, im new to this so please can anyone advise me on what to do, thanks so much in advance,

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You may have tightened the spokes inconsistently and so made the wheel significantly out of true. That would cause the wheel to rub on the brakes, and in extreme cases even on the frame.

See if you can spin the wheel without using the electrics at all. It should spin with no sideways wobble, or at least little enough it doesn't touch the brakes or frame. Only an expert will get no wobble at all, but you should be able to get it good enough. If that is the problem it's would take more than a post here to explain truing ... I'm sure someone will have a reference to a good webpage or video on it, though.

Reactions: Johnny F
D

Deleted member 33385

You may have tightened the spokes inconsistently and so made the wheel significantly out of true. That would cause the wheel to rub on the brakes, and in extreme cases even on the frame.

See if you can spin the wheel without using the electrics at all. It should spin with no sideways wobble, or at least little enough it doesn't touch the brakes or frame. Only an expert will get no wobble at all, but you should be able to get it good enough. If that is the problem it's would take more than a post here to explain truing ... I'm sure someone will have a reference to a good webpage or video on it, though.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When the motor makes that weird rasping noise, it's because something is wrong with its connection to the controller.

First check that you didn't damage the cable where it comes out of the axle, then check the connector under the right side chainstay if you have one (only later models). If it's the 9 pin type, it has to be in all the way to the marked line, not just in tight. If all that's OK, check the connectors at the controller in the compartment under the battery, especially the three bullets. take them out, crimp down the barrels a bit and reinsert them all the way in to make sure they're tight. If ever you take them apart and put them back together, they can end up loose if you're not careful even though they look OK.

Do not use full throttle or any throttle for a length of time until the motor is working properly. It opens the tap to the power going to the motor, and when the motor doesn't turn, it has to go somewhere else - normally to do burn something.

Johnny F

Mar 31, 2021
Thanks to sjpt for your fast replys, ive just watch the video, i think i understand what to do now, my other concern is the noise from the hub (it seems that i over tightened the spokes too much that its put the inside of the hub out of line) ive loosened the spokes again, The thing i want to know now,is will this have damaged the inner hub(motor) or will it go back into place with getting the spokes trued? thanks

Johnny F

Mar 31, 2021
When the motor makes that weird rasping noise, it's because something is wrong with its connection to the controller.

First check that you didn't damage the cable where it comes out of the axle, then check the connector under the right side chainstay if you have one (only later models). If it's the 9 pin type, it has to be in all the way to the marked line, not just in tight. If all that's OK, check the connectors at the controller in the compartment under the battery, especially the three bullets. take them out, crimp down the barrels a bit and reinsert them all the way in to make sure they're tight. If ever you take them apart and put them back together, they can end up loose if you're not careful even though they look OK.

Do not use full throttle or any throttle for a length of time until the motor is working properly. It opens the tap to the power going to the motor, and when the motor doesn't turn, it has to go somewhere else - normally to do burn something.
Hi, all the cables and connectors are ok, i think because i twised the wheel by tightening the spokes its put the inner hub off center,will truing the spokes put the inner hub central again? thanks for your reply

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tightening spokes like you say doesn't cause any damage to the hub or cause it to make funny noises, before damage is done a spoke will snap or you will pull the nipple through the rim. The spoke flanges on hubs are substantial, over tightening doesn't cause internal damage.

My guess if you have added extra dish to the rim causing warping/temp buckling of the wheel and something rubbing or out of alignment.

Johnny F

Mar 31, 2021
Tightening spokes like you say doesn't cause any damage to the hub or cause it to make funny noises, before damage is done a spoke will snap or you will pull the nipple through the rim. The spoke flanges on hubs are substantial, over tightening doesn't cause internal damage.

My guess if you have added extra dish to the rim causing warping/temp buckling of the wheel and something rubbing or out of alignment.
Hi,what is extra dish? and all i did was go around the wheel and gave each spoke a full turn,making it tight, i then used the throttle gently,and a noise came from the inner hub,like it was revolving then stopped,probobly because of the tightness of the wheel. thank for your reply

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi,what is extra dish? and all i did was go around the wheel and gave each spoke a full turn,making it tight, i then used the throttle gently,and a noise came from the inner hub,like it was revolving then stopped,probobly because of the tightness of the wheel. thank for your reply
Rubbish, tightening spokes has no effect on the internal hub working.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Rubbish, tightening spokes has no effect on the internal hub working.
It could just about happen if the hub bearings were pretty loose and incorrect spoke tightening made the load really skew at the hub end; even then the effects of the wrong tightening on the rim would be more drastic.

I think a few photos of the hub, the rim, and most of the connections is probably the best way forward.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi, all the cables and connectors are ok, i think because i twised the wheel by tightening the spokes its put the inner hub off center,will truing the spokes put the inner hub central again? thanks for your reply
Whatever you do to the spokes has no effect on the positioning of the hub. The hub is held in place between the frame drop-outs by the axle nuts. The spokes only effect the positioning of the rim with the tyre on it.

If the noise came from the hub, the solution won't come from doing something to the spokes. Likewise, the spokes have no effect on the hub turning.

If it doesn't turn when you operate the throttle, you have an electrical problem and the other guys have you barking up the wrong tree.

Johnny F

Mar 31, 2021
Whatever you do to the spokes has no effect on the positioning of the hub. The hub is held in place between the frame drop-outs by the axle nuts. The spokes only effect the positioning of the rim with the tyre on it.

If the noise came from the hub, the solution won't come from doing something to the spokes. Likewise, the spokes have no effect on the hub turning.

If it doesn't turn when you operate the throttle, you have an electrical problem and the other guys have you barking up the wrong tree.
ill check out the electrics, thanks a lot. ill let you know what the problem is when i find out , cheers

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
He most certainly is an expert. He doesn't think you are making it up, but he does think you are misinterpreting something, which is very easily done. He's made some suggestions as to what might really be the issue with those symptoms, and as I suggested that may be much easier with some photos.

Johnny F

Mar 31, 2021
It could just about happen if the hub bearings were pretty loose and incorrect spoke tightening made the load really skew at the hub end; even then the effects of the wrong tightening on the rim would be more drastic.

I think a few photos of the hub, the rim, and most of the connections is probably the best way forward.
That sounds more like what happened,, thanks, will get back to you soon.

D

Deleted member 33385

You should listen to what experts are telling you if you want to sort your bike. Maybe if you appologise to him, he'll continue helping you, otherwise, you're on your own.

@Johnny F, nealh does know what he's talking about, and it's well worth taking note of his advice.

Johnny F

Mar 31, 2021
You should listen to what experts are telling you if you want to sort your bike. Maybe if you appologise to him, he'll continue helping you, otherwise, you're on your own.
i am but he dosent have to say rubbish. im tellin you as it happened, it was second hand ,so it could have had something wrong with it,to have such loose spokes to start with

Johnny F

Mar 31, 2021
He most certainly is an expert. He doesn't think you are making it up, but he does think you are misinterpreting something, which is very easily done. He's made some suggestions as to what might really be the issue with those symptoms, and as I suggested that may be much easier with some photos.
Its inside the hub,so i will have to dismantle it first before i can post some photos