Hi from notts

gazz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 30, 2013
Hi there,

i've recently got back into riding a bike, gave up many years ago due to joint and back problems, was considering a recumbent, but wasn't sure, especially at the prices they go for,
Then i discovered the giant revive, managed to get one that was bought along with a few others direct from giant when they stopped production of the revive, this one was stored in a barn until i bought it,

That means a mouse had eaten part of the backrest, and the chainwheel outer guard had been knocked off and lost over the years,

2013-07-23-281.jpg

It is the N7 model i believe, front suspension forks, nexus 7 rear hub, enclosed chain in the swing arm, rear shock has a servo motor that i presume works with the sensor on the front fork adjust the suspension settings, unfortunately the computer had some 6 year old leaky AA's in it, which has eaten a load of traces off the pcb... what are the chances of ever finding another revive computer?

But a little tlc, mostly tightening loose bolts up, some fresh grease in the brakes, air in the tyres and she was ready to roll,

I've just changed the rear tyre to a maxxis hookworm, soooo much better running at 85psi (i weigh 115kg, and with the geometry of the bike, the stock 35psi tyre on the rear was always flat looking with me on the bike)
i also changed the 16t rear sprocket for an 18t one, as i could hardly start pedaling in 1st on a slight incline, that was without the 30 kilos dog in the trailer,

I am planning on adding a mid drive motor soon, thinking of a cyclone or something similar, i reckon i can get it driving the chain roughly where the stock chain tensioner is now, Would like a 350-400 watt motor, but i do not want internal controller, and don't fancy hacking a new motor to change it to external... tho i have read that the motors over 300w are all the same, so may get the 650 watter and limit the max power to it, i want range over speed, help up hills but i still want to pedal,

thinking about using 12 x 15AH lifepo4 batteries, is £20 each a decent price? (eclipsebikes, so they are in the uk and no hazmat shipping or customs fees, they also do the cyclone kits, but i just want the motor unit on it's own, but they say they do them, but none listed)

Then a little later on i'll put a hub motor in my GF's raleigh pioneer 2 we just bought, and we should be set.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi gazz and welcome, Im not into all that techie stuff, but good luck with it all, although it sounds like you know exactly what you are doing.

Glad you resisted the recumbent, I know they have their fans but they just look so dangerous on the road, low down and nearly invisible......frightening :eek:

Just wanted to say that I love your picture.....bike, dog and hot tub.....some of my favourite things ....especially the hot tub :cool:

Lynda :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I could certainly do with one right now, my dear MS, to relieve all my stress......is yours portable ? lol ;)

Lynda :)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
there are folk better placed than me to respond on the techie bits but a few thoughts occur

your BB width to ensure a crank kit will fit

Any reason you want to go with LifeP04 particluarly ? it will be rather heavy and cumbersome on such a small bike? Have you considered LIPO ? Also their 15ah 36v pack is £384 and 7kg ! (inc BMS which the £20 per cell only price does not). Would not seem overly wise to spend 250quid on cells and then risk damaging them without a BMS ? LIPO do need to be treated with particlar care but you could, if you wanted then play with increasing the voltage to 44.4 at a later date. weight and cost would be much reduced

OR you could go for the cheaper, lighter, easy to look after (but with reduced lifespan) LiCoMn. Food for thought !

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
oh, and I'm pretty good at locating stuff on the internet but cannt find a new computer anywhere for you. They have sold on ebay in the past but nothing now. The other thing you could do is ask Giant dealers - send out lots of emails to individual stores asking what they have lurking in the back of the stockroom

gazz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 30, 2013
Thanks for the welcome guys n gals :)

RE: the computer, i honestly think my chances of ever locating one is less than zero, this particular model of the revive was only made for a few months it seems, i've not seen another one of these N7 models other than in the original tests back in 2003, there was quite a premium for this model, on what was already a very expensive bike.

But not to worry, i'm sure if i thought about it enough i could make up a controller for the rear shock using an arduino board, not fussed about the speed display, as i am planning on getting a cycle analyst once i have an electric kit,

I have just discovered those 8fun/bafang BB drives tho, they look a much neater solution, would have to check if the motor would sit rotated rearwards on my bike tho, as the swingarm is a bit different to normal bikes and i don't have a triangle as on a mtb:
motor.jpg
it has a 68mm BB.

Batteries, i was drawn to the longevity of the lifepo4's, but yes they are a bit awkward, but i am not sure about a BMS, reading too many stories about them failing and killing packs, i will be using a cycle analyst so can monitor the pack with that, just not at individual cell level,

I could well change my mind and go for lipo's, i fly electric model planes occasionally, so have a little experiance of li-po's, and have a 10 amp balance charger (that can do almost any battery chemistry, inc lifepo4)

I would have liked to have stuffed the batteries down the top tube, removing the rear carrier (4 screws) gives access to the insides of the top tube which is 80mm x 60mm, unfortunately my seatpost goes thru the top tube, limiting me to about 300mm length,
but i could prolly enough get lipo packs down there much easier than the cylindrical lifepo4's,

So much to think about, the only bit putting me off the 8fun motor is the internal controller, and 250 watt motor, i've read a 350 watt should be available, and would deffo prefer that,