Hi from Scotland

fit like

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 5, 2019
Scotland
Hello, I'm female, early fifties and from NE Scotland. I'm hoping to buy an e-bike soon, used to tour around Scotland staying in Youth Hostels as a teenager but been a long time since I was on a bike. I started looking at e-bikes before Xmas, then read about the E-bike interest free loan from the Scottish Government so have arranged a week's free trial of a Volt Pulse LS to see if I like the idea and can lift the bike up the stairs to my first floor flat. If all goes well I'm hoping to buy an e-bike for commuting to work and hopefully also leisure riding further afield including using when going camping.

I've been avidly reading this forum and several others although still trying to decide even what type of motor I'd prefer (mid drive or hub), let alone all the other choices - decision paralysis! From looking online, it appears I'd get a better equipped bike by buying online but I'm a bit anxious about after service/repairs/maintenance if I don't go with one of the local bike shops - their choices seem pretty limited unfortunately but if I experience any issues with the bike, having to return it by post/courier to wherever I bought it for repair seems like it'll be a lot of hassle. Budget is probably going to be up to £1500, hoping I can purchase something reasonably OK for that.

Reactions: LeighPing

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
The weight might be an issue for getting up that first floor - most ebikes are in the 25kg range.

For a £1500 budget in terms of mid-hubs I would recommend something like the Cube Touring Hybrid 400 Iridium. The 2018 Bosch Activeline Plus motor takes some beating for touring use. Insane range, zero resist, whisper quiet and very reliable with a nice Intuvia display and that particualr bike is well built and comes with nice pannier rack, lights and mudguards built it. It's very good value for £1400-£1500 or so.

Cube Iridium 2018

What I did was buy mine from a B&M bikeshop about 45 minutes away. So it was pre-built and tested, I could ask questions when picking it up and can take it back if any serious issues arise. I could have got it for maybe £75 cheaper on the internet but felt much more comfortable doing it this way.

Good luck and wrap up warm!

Reactions: fit like

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if I like the idea and can lift the bike up the stairs to my first floor flat.
I would suggest you convert a lightweight folding bike like the Dahon Speed Uno.

fit like

Jan 5, 2019
Scotland
The weight might be an issue for getting up that first floor - most ebikes are in the 25kg range.

For a £1500 budget in terms of mid-hubs I would recommend something like the Cube Touring Hybrid 400 Iridium. The 2018 Bosch Activeline Plus motor takes some beating for touring use. Insane range, zero resist, whisper quiet and very reliable with a nice Intuvia display and that particualr bike is well built and comes with nice pannier rack, lights and mudguards built it. It's very good value for £1400-£1500 or so.

Cube Iridium 2018

What I did was buy mine from a B&M bikeshop about 45 minutes away. So it was pre-built and tested, I could ask questions when picking it up and can take it back if any serious issues arise. I could have got it for maybe £75 cheaper on the internet but felt much more comfortable doing it this way.

Good luck and wrap up warm!
Thanks Andy and I'm already considering what to wear as it's baltic here just now. I've loads of hillwalking kit I can hopefully use on the bike and will see what it's like on the loan bike before splashing out on anything specific. I'll have a more in depth look at Cube bikes. especially the one you mentioned.

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Hi fit like, I am in a similar age group and location and agree the local bike shops choice is pretty limited and in my opinion over priced! I just went with the kit option on my own bike after going thru the same dilemma as yourself. How did you get on with the sub 20kg Volt Pulse on you're stairs? I imagine it has a walk assist function which should help at least going up and you could remove the battery for on the way down. I like the Cube Touring Hybrid 400 Iridium compared to the Volt pulse but weighs 4kg more.

Last edited:

fit like

Jan 5, 2019
Scotland
I would suggest you convert a lightweight folding bike like the Dahon Speed Uno.
I like the idea of converting a bike, but realistically I'd probably struggle to do anything more than change a tyre or brake blocks! I think I'd probably not trust anything I built to be safe either. I'll hopefully get a more realistic idea of what weight I can carry up to my flat when I have a shot of the trial bike - I wouldn't chance leaving it downstairs in the lobby or in the back garden shed - a neighbour already had a normal bike pinched when left secured to the bannisters and the sheds outside are all regularly broken into - putting a stronger padlock on would just be advertising that I'd something worth stealing.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

fit like

Jan 5, 2019
Scotland
Hi fit like, I am in a similar age group and location and agree the local bike shops choice is pretty limited and in my opinion over priced! I just went with the kit option on my own bike after going thru the same dilemma as yourself. How did you get on with the sub 20kg Volt Pulse on you're stairs? I imagine it has a walk assist function which should help at least going up.
Hi scott gaza, I'm picking up the bike on Thursday, to be returned next Friday as I'm away to the Canaries for a week on Sunday (you can apparently borrow the bikes for up to 3 weeks but I'm aware the interest free loan application needs to be in by beginning of March) - according to the Volt website the Pulse weighs 19.5kg - I've already started using resistance bands to try to develop (some) muscles.

Did you find the conversion kit straightforward to fit and how mechanically able would you say you are?
I build/upgrade my PC but that's more like lego than anything -just slot the right bits into the right places. I see there's a shop in Dundee which sells Cube e-bikes - not ideal for servicing/ repairs but seems to have a better choice than Evans/Halfords/EBCo-op up here.
I'm also hoping to hire a couple of e-bikes when I'm in Gran Canaria , costs between 20-30 euros a day and gives me a chance to check out different characteristics and handling. Realistically it's also probably the only opportunity I'll have to find out what cycling a bike feels like when the temperature is above 15C.

Thanks to you all for replying - really appreciate it.

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Hi fit like, I found that the conversion kits were very straightforward to fit, I am a mechanically minded person but on a front hub kit, all the skill that is needed is changing the wheel so it is true. only problem is that I am not sure that you can get the E-bike interest free loan from the Scottish Government for a kit as they must be fully compliant with UK regulations. You could also look in to Green Commute Initiative Ltd through the cycle to work scheme without the £1000 limit and pay 32%-42% less and up to 24mth to pay. There are a few good deals on hybrid ebikes at Evans including the Cube Cross Hybrid Pro 400 2018 Women's Electric Hybrid Bike for £1500 you can get -£150 by trading in an old bike one off gumtree or friends ;). When out and about I would recommend good gloves and some sort of face covering at this time of year! PS: enjoy you're holiday in Gran Canaria

Last edited:

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I think the real problem is those stairs. Stairs in a house/block of flats are usually a very difficult obstacle to take a bike up one step at a time - the sizing of them is almost exactly wrong.

You can of course portage the whole bike if you are strong enought to lift it but I'm a 52 year old man and find that is just possible with my Cube. You are sure that you can't just gold-secure lock it to a fixture in the communal hall (having taken off the bike computer and battery)?

If not (and I assume there is no lift access) then you might be better off with something around 15kg instead (as Woosh suggested). It will have a much smaller range unless you carry extra batteries though - in my experience, even in this cold, on mixed surface flat terrain the Cube 400 should have slightly over a 100 mile range.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
It's easily do-able going up the stairs using the walk mode. On the way down you just use gravity and the brakes to control your descent. Here's a video, going up stairs with my heaviest bike. Demonstration with the motor off and then on with a 30 kg ebike (66 lbs, 4 stone 7 lbs). :D

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
I would have bet it was possible. Last week I got up a very steep slippery mud bank on walk assist with my Cube, my feet were slipping but the bike supported me and we got up ok.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Hello, I'm female, early fifties and from NE Scotland. I'm hoping to buy an e-bike soon, used to tour around Scotland staying in Youth Hostels as a teenager but been a long time since I was on a bike. I started looking at e-bikes before Xmas, then read about the E-bike interest free loan from the Scottish Government so have arranged a week's free trial of a Volt Pulse LS to see if I like the idea and can lift the bike up the stairs to my first floor flat. If all goes well I'm hoping to buy an e-bike for commuting to work and hopefully also leisure riding further afield including using when going camping.

I've been avidly reading this forum and several others although still trying to decide even what type of motor I'd prefer (mid drive or hub), let alone all the other choices - decision paralysis! From looking online, it appears I'd get a better equipped bike by buying online but I'm a bit anxious about after service/repairs/maintenance if I don't go with one of the local bike shops - their choices seem pretty limited unfortunately but if I experience any issues with the bike, having to return it by post/courier to wherever I bought it for repair seems like it'll be a lot of hassle. Budget is probably going to be up to £1500, hoping I can purchase something reasonably OK for that.
Well done Scotland !

If you are considering purchasing an ebike there is a new, exciting funding opportunity available in Scotland through Energy Saving Trust. We offer an interest-free loan to buy an ebike. This scheme is funded by Transport Scotland (an agency of the Scottish Government).

The eBike loan is for up to £6,000 with a repayment period of 4 years and covers the following (per household):

• Useful

Vandazler

Oct 11, 2018
I think the real problem is those stairs. Stairs in a house/block of flats are usually a very difficult obstacle to take a bike up one step at a time - the sizing of them is almost exactly wrong.

You can of course portage the whole bike if you are strong enought to lift it but I'm a 52 year old man and find that is just possible with my Cube. You are sure that you can't just gold-secure lock it to a fixture in the communal hall (having taken off the bike computer and battery)?

If not (and I assume there is no lift access) then you might be better off with something around 15kg instead (as Woosh suggested). It will have a much smaller range unless you carry extra batteries though - in my experience, even in this cold, on mixed surface flat terrain the Cube 400 should have slightly over a 100 mile range.
I have the Cube allroad hybrid 500 and think you would struggle to get anything near 100 miles from the 400 battery. 100kms maybe if you leave in eco mode. The assisted walk function on the cube would be ideal for those stairs once you learn the knack. Leaving the bike outside is a big no no if you go for a Cube. The wheels and seatpost are quick release so would quickly walk.
If budget allows I’d recommend going for performance CX Bosch motor rather than the Active motor. You’ll appreciate the extra power when you need it up steep hills.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I have the Cube allroad hybrid 500 and think you would struggle to get anything near 100 miles from the 400 battery. 100kms maybe if you leave in eco mode. The assisted walk function on the cube would be ideal for those stairs once you learn the knack. Leaving the bike outside is a big no no if you go for a Cube. The wheels and seatpost are quick release so would quickly walk.
If budget allows I’d recommend going for performance CX Bosch motor rather than the Active motor. You’ll appreciate the extra power when you need it up steep hills.
The Activeline Plus is about 30% better for range than the CX when it's switched on and it's zero resist so in actual use you can cycle more easily over 25kph or turn it off more as well, saving even more battery, which is what gives it such good real world range. You certainly wouldn't get that with the Performance CX motor, no.

As an example, last week I went 56km into Cheshire over mixed surfaces and ended up with 75% battery left - so I extrapolate that to 220km for my 500 with the Activeline Plus. That should mean over 100 miles range for the 400 if pancake flat. Certainly a lot futher than 30.

Of course that route was down rivers and canals with a couple of forest paths thrown in so it really did have zero elevation. And yes, apart from a couple of really muddy sections I only used Eco - you wouldn't need any more on flat dry trails or cycle paths unless very unfit. The other thing about Eco mode on the Activeline series is that you literally can't hear it at all - it is totally silent. You can hear a slight whine when using Tour or higher settings to get up a hill etc. but just touring along in Eco - nada.

The next day, going up on mixed surfaces into the High Peak (1800 feet of elevation or so) for 46km used a third of the battery - so more normal mixed range for the 500 might be 130km or so (meaning 104km/65miles for the 400).

And those ranges should improve a bit as it warms up, as it's prettty cold for batteries at the moment.

The Activeline Plus is simply much better in a touring bike (if quietness and range is what you want) unless you need to go up gradients over about 15% or are very unfit/disabled (so can't put in 150+ watts of your own power if you need to get up the 12-15% hills). Light or fit riders should be able to get up close to 20% gradients with them so I have heard, but by that point the CX would be much better choice, granted.

I did use walk to get up a muddy bank with small steps but am not sure how that would work on bigger steps such as you find on a staircase at home. If OP can get a 25kg Cube with walk assist on up her stairs comfortably and doesn't intend to climb serious (15%+) hills, the Activeline Plus equipped bikes will give her a better range and riding experience IMHO (at least of the branded mid-drives - I can't comment on the bikes with rear and front hub drive units).

Last edited:

Vandazler

Oct 11, 2018
The Activeline Plus is about 30% better for range than the CX when it's switched on and it's zero resist so in actual use you can cycle more easily over 25kph or turn it off more as well, saving even more battery, which is what gives it such good real world range. You certainly wouldn't get that with the Performance CX motor, no.

As an example, last week I went 56km into Cheshire over mixed surfaces and ended up with 75% battery left - so I extrapolate that to 220km for my 500 with the Activeline Plus. That should mean over 100 miles range for the 400 if pancake flat. Certainly a lot futher than 30.

Of course that route was down rivers and canals with a couple of forest paths thrown in so it really did have zero elevation. And yes, apart from a couple of really muddy sections I only used Eco - you wouldn't need any more on flat dry trails or cycle paths unless very unfit. The other thing about Eco mode on the Activeline series is that you literally can't hear it at all - it is totally silent. You can hear a slight whine when using Tour or higher settings to get up a hill etc. but just touring along in Eco - nada.

The next day, going up on mixed surfaces into the High Peak (1800 feet of elevation or so) for 46km used a third of the battery - so more normal mixed range for the 500 might be 130km or so (meaning 104km/65miles for the 400).

And those ranges should improve a bit as it warms up, as it's prettty cold for batteries at the moment.

The Activeline Plus is simply much better in a touring bike (if quietness and range is what you want) unless you need to go up gradients over about 15% or are very unfit/disabled (so can't put in 150+ watts of your own power if you need to get up the 12-15% hills). Light or fit riders should be able to get up close to 20% gradients with them so I have heard, but by that point the CX would be much better choice, granted.

I did use walk to get up a muddy bank with small steps but am not sure how that would work on bigger steps such as you find on a staircase at home. If OP can get a 25kg Cube with walk assist on up her stairs comfortably and doesn't intend to climb serious (15%+) hills, the Activeline Plus equipped bikes will give her a better range and riding experience IMHO (at least of the branded mid-drives - I can't comment on the bikes with rear and front hub drive units).
I’ll bow to your superior knowledge of the Activeline plus motor ,as it is quite obviously a very different alternative to the CX motor in many ways. The range you are getting is very impressive on flat ground. The 50 nm motor obviously requires less power and therefore stretches the range quite considerably. Very interesting and informative. As for the stairs thing,well it isn’t going to be easy even with walk assist but doable all the same with a bit of tenacity. I think the OP needs to try it first before purchasing. Good luck to her and welcome to the marvellous pedelec world.

• Agree

mark_north

Feb 6, 2019
Hi, i was just wondering how you got on with your bike loan, and if you’d reached a decision.
Like yourself, i have to carry the bike up to the first floor flat. I am wondering how you got on with walk mode to get up the stairs. Did it work for you ?

Having read some great reviews on this site (and notably from Andy McNish), I have been thinking very seriously about buying the cube allroad hybrid 400/500 (mostly for commuting and the odd weekend trek). But the stairs seem a bit of a pain at the end of a hard day. I don’t expect walk mode to be effortless when getting 24k up tenement stairs, but a helping hand would be useful.
Also, if anyone with a cube touring sees this, whats the level of shake and rattle with the Cube Touring. Here in edinburgh there are quite a few cobbled streets and i’m wondering how the Cube TOuring would take to them. I wasn’t too impressed with the Crossfuse that i tried out, I felt like i was punishing the bike, to the extent that i would really have to slow down to a snails pace. Dunno, maybe i just hit a few bad potholes. Or maybe, on reflection, the forks had been left locked out (?).
Appreciate any advice that anyone has on the matter.

fit like

Jan 5, 2019
Scotland
Hi, i was just wondering how you got on with your bike loan, and if you’d reached a decision.
Like yourself, i have to carry the bike up to the first floor flat. I am wondering how you got on with walk mode to get up the stairs. Did it work for you ?

Having read some great reviews on this site (and notably from Andy McNish), I have been thinking very seriously about buying the cube allroad hybrid 400/500 (mostly for commuting and the odd weekend trek). But the stairs seem a bit of a pain at the end of a hard day. I don’t expect walk mode to be effortless when getting 24k up tenement stairs, but a helping hand would be useful.
Also, if anyone with a cube touring sees this, whats the level of shake and rattle with the Cube Touring. Here in edinburgh there are quite a few cobbled streets and i’m wondering how the Cube TOuring would take to them. I wasn’t too impressed with the Crossfuse that i tried out, I felt like i was punishing the bike, to the extent that i would really have to slow down to a snails pace. Dunno, maybe i just hit a few bad potholes. Or maybe, on reflection, the forks had been left locked out (?).
Appreciate any advice that anyone has on the matter.
Hi mark_north, your timing is impeccable - I've just received email confirmation that I've been approved for the Scottish Govt ebike loan and have a Cube Touring Hybrid Pro 500 https://www.evanscycles.com/cube-touring-hybrid-pro-500-easy-entry-2019-electric-hybrid-bike-EV351084 waiting for me at Evans in Aberdeen - I tried it out three weeks ago (they had to order a smaller size as the 54cm was too big) , applied for the loan and heard back today that I've passed the credit check. Many thanks to @Andy McNish for suggesting a (different) Cube bike - decided in the end, since the Scot Govt loan is interest free that I'd splash out on something that'll hopefully last and can get me back cycle touring again. If you're in Edinburgh, have you considered applying for the interest free loan? need to hurry if you want to as applications need to be in by 01-03-19 and sale completed by 31-03-2019 as funding project ends then (although Home Energy Scotland are hopeful the funding will be renewed again) . If you're interested I can send you details of where to find the info if necessary.

I didn't manage very well with the Volt Pulse LS trial - went down with some sort of viral infection the day after I cycled it (very nervously) home, although I managed to get it up the stairs to my flat that time. Unsure if it was the virus or if all the adrenaline from the initial ride to my flat (0.7 miles) helped me the first time but I didn't manage to get it up to my flat again without assistance from (very kind) neighbours. I'm now trying to get permission to put up an Asgard Bike Shed thing in the communal back garden, been trying to catch my downstairs neighbour all week to see if he's OK as it'll be along from his window, if he's fine with it I'll approach the cooncil for permission. My neighbours are offering to set up an additional CCTV camera on their system (they have a camera outside their window focussed on their shed) to monitor it as well.

I realised that realistically I'd struggle getting the bike safely up and down the stairs, walk mode didn't really help much (rear hub motor) -maybe due to the specific size/steepness of the stairs and it might work better with other stairs or a different bike or different, less feeble, bike owner trying it but I ended up at one point with me lying at the bottom of the stairs with the bike on top of me. Had to phone my partner to come round to help me get the bike back upstairs, not a happy chap as I was planning cycling to work and this was at 7am. The walk mode did help a bit so you'd maybe manage OK with it - Home Energy Scotland also offer the free e-bike trials (up to 3 weeks depending on demand in your area) so might be worth contacting them about that even if you aren't interested in the loan. Even if the weight is different I'd imagine it'd give you an idea of whether it's feasible for you. All the best with your search - I was only on the trial bike 3 times and the Cube once for probably no more than an hour in total but loved it - so much fun to ride.

Reactions: tommie