Hi from the Isle of Wight

wightrider

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2015
Hello All, I have been looking at electric bikes for a few years now but couldn't justify the cost of buying one. I was also worried about the cost of battery replacement which was very high although I guessed that would come down over time once mass production got under way.....and it has.

Recently I discovered my local Freego dealer was selling off their hire bikes for rather less than half price and they had only been used during 2014. I expected them to be pretty ratty to be honest but they were pretty good and appeared to have seen little use. It's the unisex style (I prefer to call it Dutch style) but the seat and adjustable bars make it a really comfortable ride. In my exuberance of using the accelerator in conjunction with hard pedalling along an old railway track I picked up an early puncture so I've switched to Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres with puncture resistance and some off road ability. I had some fun last weekend down the muddy tracks and whilst "normal" bikes were getting stuck in soft muddy verges I simply put a foot down and used the accelerator to make the bike drive itself out. I have been surprised by the quality of the Freego and would certainly recommend them to anyone thinking of buying a starter bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

Welcome, and I'm glad you like your new bike.

We get a lot of discussion about the usefulness/necessity of throttles. We need to add that one to the list, which reminds me of another one. They're also very useful for getting through floods. I've had my bike with water up to the axles and my feet in the air. It would've been a long way round if I didn't get through, or very wet feet if I didn't have the throttle.

wightrider

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2015
Well it's a natural reaction to reach for the throttle when you are a motorcyclist as well.

Not sure my freego would function at that depth with the battery contacts being down where they are?