Hi From Up North

JimboAubz

Just Joined
Feb 11, 2014
Hi to everyone. I have owned a Cyclotricty Stealth electric bike since November. Bought the bike for commuting to and from work. Makes sense as parking in Leeds is around £5 a day. Decided on the electric bike after stumbling across various reviews online. I have a cheap mountain bike from Halfords which got me up and running, only problem I had was the bloody 3 mile hill to get home. the electric bike seemed to be the answer and it sort of has been. My issue is that the bike is cheaply made and I have had constant problems including currently the battery has developed a fault, this after I had returned it to the maker in Jan 2014!. I will save my issues for other posts on the forum, if nothing else it will keep you all entertained on these long winter nights.
I could be forgiven for been an ebike sceptic, but in fact I love electric bikes, and to be honest winter shows up one of the massive advantages, while pedal pushers strive for lightness and lycra, us ebikers can concentrate on sensible winter clothing, which keeps us dry and warm. And I must admit there is some satisfaction in gliding effortlessly past lycra clad, sweating cyclists with the gentle hum of the motor taking the strain.
Anyway, delighted to be part of the forum.
James

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Sounds like you've been unlucky James. Look forward to hearing about your issues with the cyclotricity (in the nicest possible way!);)
i have one of their kits, and have been very happy with it.

JimboAubz

Just Joined
Feb 11, 2014
Hi Phil. I think you are right, I have been unlucky, in fact bearing in mind the battery is struggling to get me the 5 miles to work I feel pretty miffed. That aside I am in touch with the supplier (ebikes.co.uk) who to be honest have been pretty good to deal with. The fact is, when the bike works as it should it is by far the best thing I have bought in a long time, when it doesn't then peddling what feels like a 4 tonne dead elephant up a 3 mile hill tends to lead to very dark thoughts indeed.
James

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Hi James,
I used to think I was from up North when I lived down there, now it seems I'm a Southerner!
Like peerjay56 (or is it now Tonto:)) I have fitted the kit version and been happy with it.
The only glitch I had after a couple of months use is a bad contact between the battery fuse and the holder.
I would check that out.
It was an intermittent problem - no power, then it would work OK again.
Whilst checking all the wiring I noticed the fuse was a bit "sooty" looking, cleaned it and pressed it in more firmly, no problems since.
It would be brilliant if that was the problem as so easily fixed.

Reactions: peerjay56

doublestout

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
"I could be forgiven for been an ebike sceptic, but in fact I love electric bikes, and to be honest winter shows up one of the massive advantages, while pedal pushers strive for lightness and lycra, us ebikers can concentrate on sensible winter clothing, which keeps us dry and warm. And I must admit there is some satisfaction in gliding effortlessly past lycra clad, sweating cyclists with the gentle hum of the motor taking the strain"

Hi James I'm both. E bike for commuting, most days, and other bikes when I'm off work. Never been one for lycra, don't even wear padded shorts. They tend to switch certain parts of my anatomy off! Even on my road bike I have a proper leather saddle for comfort. I do enjoy the challenge of pedalling under my own steam and the distance that I can ride. However the E bike is now essential for my commute. I ride to work with my hoodie under my cycling jacket. Its great. Nice and warm with my hood up. I'm finding that the emphasis on a normal bike is keeping cool and wearing least that I can get away with. On the E bike throw an extra layer on and stay nice and warm.

JimboAubz

Just Joined
Feb 11, 2014
Hi James,
I used to think I was from up North when I lived down there, now it seems I'm a Southerner!
Like peerjay56 (or is it now Tonto:)) I have fitted the kit version and been happy with it.
The only glitch I had after a couple of months use is a bad contact between the battery fuse and the holder.
I would check that out.
It was an intermittent problem - no power, then it would work OK again.
Whilst checking all the wiring I noticed the fuse was a bit "sooty" looking, cleaned it and pressed it in more firmly, no problems since.
It would be brilliant if that was the problem as so easily fixed.
Thanks for the advice, will check that out tonight just to be on the safe side. I think the battery is definately faulty and just hoping that Cyclotricity sort it out quickly for me as I now use the bike for my daily commute. I am glad to say that the people of my northern city will never have to face the sight of me in anything padded or clingy...lol