Hi from Warwickshire

Storapa

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi all,

I thought I would join your community as I'm looking at building an electric bike, to reduce my car use.

Work is around 10.5 miles away, so it should be easily possible with a pedelec.

First thoughts are something like the Charge Grinder 3 (hub gears, mudguards etc) with a front wheel motor and bottle battery. We have a fair few bikes at home but non suitable for converting.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Lots of questions are sure to follow.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Storapa,

Welcome to the forum.

Before you discount what you already have it might be worth listing them as most bikes can be converted.

Of course if you want a nice shiny new one that is a different matter.

Storapa

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

Our bikes are:-

A couple of tandems, a carbon forked road bike, my mountains bike and the better half's mountain bike, so nothing that I want to convert (and I have an excuse to buy another bike).

I need to come up with a parts list and post it up to see if it is sensible.

Cheers,

Darren.

clanky

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2014
Lincolnshire
Hi Storapa,

I'm doing a similar thing to you, it would be good to compare notes to see how we get on.

Good luck with you build.

clanky

Storapa

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi Clanky,

Sounds like a plan.

Storapa

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Hi ,
With those bikes you sound like a serious peddler. It will be hard to get a legal bike that is worth the upgrade.
The instant to 25 kph and holding speed up hill is nice but on the flat and down hill the electric adds almost nothing.
If you hold anything like 15 mph average then you need a naughty bike unless you want to arrive at work without any sweat?

Good luck