Hi! I’m Daniel and would like to ask something.

RedPlanet

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2022
I have had a Samebike LO26 v2 for about 2 month.
I was wondering the latency or delay in pedal electric assist, once you start to move the pedals as normaly.
I have to rotate the pedal 360 degrees sometimes something like 4 to 7 times before the electric assist starts.
I have herd that there is a slight delay in power assist, but didn’t know it was that long.
it is disturbable specially when you are moving, then have to breake a little for example crossing the street and then got to go ahead.

Another thing I have detected is that specially using Pass 5, when you stop pedaling, you can feel how the speed of the bike doesn’t continue normally, as in a normal bike, but you feel like something is breaking the bike.

I would like to know is this normal?

And about the speedometer. It worked well at first, but some weeks ago the trip counter doesn’t count the kilometers correctly. If I make a trip of 1 km, in that while, after some hundreds of meters it shows already 1 km, after a while 2 and so on, and also keeps on changing by itself the trips, I mean Trip 1, Trip 2 and so on constantly by itself.
I tried to check all settings, but haven’t found nothing that could help the problem.
I have also reset the settings to factory settings but the soeedometer problem doesn’t desappear

I a kind of regret buying this bike that works somehow well, but not as I expected

In resumen, there were 3 things I wanted to know.

- Is that quite long delay in pedal electric assist normal?

- Is it normal that when you stop pedaling the electric assist doesn't just stop, but in Pass 5 you feel clearely how the bike breakes a little.

- Hou can I fix that speedometer problem?

Thank you very much for your advices!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A normal delay before getting assist used to be around 1 pedal turn, with more recent bikes it is often less than 1/2 turn. I don't know about that bike specifically. It's possible that the PAS assist sensor (probably connected to the bottom axle near one of the cranks) has been knocked out of alignment.

Often when assist stops at higher speed it feels as if there is breaking when it is just the natural slowing down. Also if you pedal past assist speed (15/16 mph or so) it often feels as if there is drag from the motor, when in reality it is just the motor stopping assistance.

Not sure about the speedometer. Could be a poor connection to it from the controller etc, or that it has an internal battery that needs replacing, or the internal battery connection is poor, or one of the switches making an intermittent wrong connection. Has it got really wet at any time?

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I found with a 4 pole(magnets) all-in-one PAS it was slow to react but with a 12 pole disk and PAS it's a lot quicker

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Does that ebike not have a thumb throttle, is there a mode to switch to that just enables you to use that for full control of the motor. The ebike looks to be 500W anyway so not strictly legal anyway so can't see the issue of using the thumb throttle and you won't be spotted using it if you just keep pedalling when you use it. Admittedly I don't know how it operates on that ebike it could be linked to pedelec mode anyway but some Chinese ebikes have a cadensor sensor/assist mode and a twist and go throttle mode.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There's no 'not strictly legal' about it at all, 500w motor and throtlle both illegal end of as a pedelec.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
There's no 'not strictly legal' about it at all, 500w motor and throtlle both illegal end of as a pedelec.
Well if the throttle only operates when you pedal that wouldn't be illegal and as for the power that is a very debatable topic related to how power is measured and what level of power is actually enforced anyway. The legislation seems very complex and very manipulative with regards how power is measured plus its not about what this motor will take its about how much power the battery and controller sends the motors way. Just about every motor will take more than 250W nominal be it geared hub motor, direct drive or mid-drive. The motor can only use what the controller gives it. It's just dire legislation basically that makes little sense and is mainly ignored for obvious reasons by the authorities.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
It's just dire legislation basically that makes little sense and is mainly ignored for obvious reasons by the authorities.
Well 'mainly' ignored means that sometimes its not.

I have seen that bike is advertised for sale in the UK, as 500w and 750w, so outright illegal for on-road UK use, regardless of ones own views on the legislation.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It doesn't matter if a 250w hub looks the same as a 500 , it is what it is marked as. There is nothing debatable about power 250w means 250w rated, we know motors will take more power that is why some hubs are marked 350 or 500w for other markets.

Reactions: StuartsProjects

RedPlanet

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2022
Well if the throttle only operates when you pedal that wouldn't be illegal and as for the power that is a very debatable topic related to how power is measured and what level of power is actually enforced anyway. The legislation seems very complex and very manipulative with regards how power is measured plus its not about what this motor will take its about how much power the battery and controller sends the motors way. Just about every motor will take more than 250W nominal be it geared hub motor, direct drive or mid-drive. The motor can only use what the controller gives it. It's just dire legislation basically that makes little sense and is mainly ignored for obvious reasons by the authorities.
Well, in this country it's illegal too. However
Does that ebike not have a thumb throttle, is there a mode to switch to that just enables you to use that for full control of the motor. The ebike looks to be 500W anyway so not strictly legal anyway so can't see the issue of using the thumb throttle and you won't be spotted using it if you just keep pedalling when you use it. Admittedly I don't know how it operates on that ebike it could be linked to pedelec mode anyway but some Chinese ebikes have a cadensor sensor/assist mode and a twist and go throttle mode.
Well, it has a throttle and it works fine. However I don't use because I don't want to, and it would be somehow funny to use the throttle at the samw time while pedaling
And I'm sure, if I would use the throttle constantly, some day I could get obviously seen by for example the police, and could have some kind of problems...

The maximal speed is set to 25 km/h and I keep it in that way. But to be honest, that wouldn't help if they start to examinate the bike.
I would,ve had taken the throttle off If I could, so the bike would be more legal, but these weren't the reasons I wrote here to talk about, but the other matters I mentioned before :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How quickly the pedakl assist kicks in is down to the programming logarithms, some controllers are better then others.

One can carry out some basic checks to see that the PAS is working correctly.
1. Ensure any disc is firmly fixed and not loose or can't rotate freely on the BB axle.
2. Ensure the disc /magnet gap to the sesnor head is minimal approx, 1mm gapping.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
It doesn't matter if a 250w hub looks the same as a 500 , it is what it is marked as. There is nothing debatable about power 250w means 250w rated, we know motors will take more power that is why some hubs are marked 350 or 500w for other markets.
It's the same motor in many mid-drives as stated as 250W, 350W or even 500W sometimes. It's utterly moronic to have legislation that just needs a sticker on a motor to claim its power level hence why you see even on Amazon people selling 250W stickers to replace the stickers of more powerful motors. It's just utterly moronic legislation when it focuses on what's on the motor when its the controller that govern's power. It's totally inadequate legislation if it ignores how hub motors are setup because its focused only on mid-drive type motors where the controller is integrated within the body and just shows the appalling level of the legislation.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Well, in this country it's illegal too. However

Well, it has a throttle and it works fine. However I don't use because I don't want to, and it would be somehow funny to use the throttle at the samw time while pedaling
And I'm sure, if I would use the throttle constantly, some day I could get obviously seen by for example the police, and could have some kind of problems...

The maximal speed is set to 25 km/h and I keep it in that way. But to be honest, that wouldn't help if they start to examinate the bike.
I would,ve had taken the throttle off If I could, so the bike would be more legal, but these weren't the reasons I wrote here to talk about, but the other matters I mentioned before :)
The illegality of throttles is the twist and go nature of some ebikes not the throttle itself. It's just a way of governing power same as having stepped power levels. Twist and go ebikes sold before 2017 with throttles are still legal to use too and you can still have DVSA approved twist and go ebikes but they have to be individually tested in a farcical procedure but once tested you can ride them as a normal ebike in the UK. Now that we are out of the EU we should have more sensible legislation in line with the majority of the world which allow for throttle based low power ebikes. However the point is if the throttle only operates when you pedal its legal but the 500W rating of the motor is not.

To stay legal it has to be 250W, only assist to 15.5mph (with a tolerance up to about 17mph) and if fitted with a throttle only operate when pedalling never on its own except I think for a slow walk assistance mode which allows for heavier ebikes to be pushed more easily.

However in contrast to others here I think the police and authorities take a more pragmatic approach generally as is often the case with dire unworkable legislation. They clearly will stop very powerful ebikes and ebikes that assist well beyond 15.5mph on occasion but generally most sensible ebikes are allowed. It's illegal to not have reflectors on pedals but the majority of road bikes with clipless pedals don't have reflectors and so a huge percentage of road bike users are riding illegally. Will the police prosecute such people on such bikes no of course not its stupid legislation and they have better things to do.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Reflectors and lights are I think only required at night.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Reflectors and lights are I think only required at night.
Actually 'hours of darkness' and this can be mornings and early evenings especially in winter, anytime lights are required basically. I realise there maybe cyclists who don't cycle in winter or do daytime rides only in summer but most cyclists require lights I would say. I see quite a lot of cycles with lights on and no pedal reflectors because they are clipless and therefore riding illegally.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Actually 'hours of darkness' and this can be mornings and early evenings especially in winter, anytime lights are required basically. I realise there maybe cyclists who don't cycle in winter or do daytime rides only in summer but most cyclists require lights I would say. I see quite a lot of cycles with lights on and no pedal reflectors because they are clipless and therefore riding illegally.
I like that subtle distinction between night and hours of darkness! Reminds me of the three types of twilight.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I like that subtle distinction between night and hours of darkness! Reminds me of the three types of twilight.

It's perfectly normal to need lights before sunset and for a period after sunrise especially when cloudy you can see automatic car lights come on with what looks like reasonable light to me but they are configured to come on at a set light level. Of course just like an aperture in a camera the iris of the human eye opens as its get darker to get in more light with a slight reduction in definition and sharpness with depth perception reduced too but a person may perceive this as a similar light level despite definition reducing. Humans who have adapted to different regions have larger or smaller irises so light levels can vary by ethnicity because the iris cannot open as wide due to larger size. Northern Europeans have smaller irises than people who are closer to the equator I believe. I actually read that in a book about cameras. So I personally wouldn't see it as that subtle as its clearly written in the law;

(i)between sunset and sunrise, or

(ii)in seriously reduced visibility between sunrise and sunset;

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think it's what used to be called 'lighting up time', not sunrise/sunset

eg for Winchester today, https://www.thetimeandplace.info/uk/winchester-hampshire
Seems to be almost, but not quite, Civil twilight.

Astromomical twilight begins (full darkness ends) 05:39
Nautical twilight begins (First light) 06:17
Civil twilight begins (Dawn) 06:56
Sunrise 07:29
Transit (sun is at its highest) 12:50
Sunset 18:12
Civil twilight ends (Dusk) 18:45
Nautical twilight ends (Nightfall) 19:23
Astromomical twilight ends (full darkness starts) 20:02

Hours of Daylight today 06:59 to 18:42
Hours of Darkness tonight (lighting-up time) 18:42 to 07:31

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I think it's what used to be called 'lighting up time', not sunrise/sunset

eg for Winchester today, https://www.thetimeandplace.info/uk/winchester-hampshire
Seems to be almost, but not quite, Civil twilight.

Astromomical twilight begins (full darkness ends) 05:39
Nautical twilight begins (First light) 06:17
Civil twilight begins (Dawn) 06:56
Sunrise 07:29
Transit (sun is at its highest) 12:50
Sunset 18:12
Civil twilight ends (Dusk) 18:45
Nautical twilight ends (Nightfall) 19:23
Astromomical twilight ends (full darkness starts) 20:02

Hours of Daylight today 06:59 to 18:42
Hours of Darkness tonight (lighting-up time) 18:42 to 07:31
That makes total sense but there are other factors, clouds some of which are very dense, you might be riding through a tunnel even a natural tunnel like a tree tunnel, as rare as they are I guess ecllipses or partial ecllipses, anything really that reduces light; dust storms, fog, haze, pollution etc. Now I'm wondering in the absence of proper fog lights I assume bicycles are just meant to put on their normal lights although saying that you do come across some bicycle lights with yellow minor lights sometimes side lights at the front away from the main beam.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
That makes total sense but there are other factors, clouds some of which are very dense, you might be riding through a tunnel even a natural tunnel like a tree tunnel, as rare as they are I guess ecllipses or partial ecllipses, anything really that reduces light; dust storms, fog, haze, pollution etc.
Absolutely, I was just making a minor revision to your point (i) between sunset and sunrise,
Your point (ii)in seriously reduced visibility between sunrise and sunset; remains very important.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
I see quite a lot of cycles with lights on and no pedal reflectors because they are clipless and therefore riding illegally.
The pedal reflectors are probably more important than any other reflectors or lights.
Seeing the two amber bars going up and down shouts "BIKE" like nothing else.
And unlike a single red or white light, the pedal reflectors give a sense of distance too.