Hi - I have a few questions about what to choose?

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
Oh yeah... that... I am sorry to say, but it is a disinformation. Quite embarrassing.
OK, but ;)
Almost any 250W motor can get at least 350W!
It all depends on the controller.
It is not written in the law that a motor must not be able to produce more than 250W, but that its output must not exceed 250W on a public road - a fundamental difference.
Not a lawyer, but it sounds that way to me.
In a car you have a speed meter for 160mph and my car, that's how much it will go, does that mean it's illegal because in the UK the max speed is 120mph?

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
I don't think it is a scam. Price is about right for this motor and this battery. You can have it from PSW Power for more or less the same money, but they don't have this motor in UK at this moment.
Maybe, these motors are being sold out because they have some new models?
And worth waiting for?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
imho invest in and buy the best battery that suits your needs, so if doing 10 miles daily and can recharge easily a smaller lighter battery might be best? Tho for most it will probably be a 36 or 48v hi mah job.
Pair the battery with a high amp 36/48v controller, and a 250w hub motor for the best vfm kit. a high amp controller will allow you to push a quality motor rated @ 250w way beyond 1000w for shorter bursts like hill climbing and fast acceleration. if you do push it too hard - big deal £100-£150 and its replaced and your back on the rd and know to set the max amp limit 500ma lower or so..

Would keep you right side of plod and able to get insurance to protect the roof over your head when you nudge a chav with a no win no fee solicitor on speed dial. And lets you bomb about a bit when able, safe in the knowledge that if looses the magic smoke its a £150 bill or so not 1000's ..

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
Thanks for this link.
There is a sentence there that is very important in my opinion:
"250 watts maximum assist".
That is to say, a motor that will give you 250 watts of power when assisting. There is still no mention of the maximum potential power of the motor.
If the controller is set to 250W then the motor, will give you 250W assist and not 1000W - i.e. 100% legal.

This is how I understand it!

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I have a few questions about what to choose?
Mid motor or front wheel?
750W or 1000W?
20Ah battery - on the frame or on the rack?
I'm hoping someone who knows both this and this system can explain to me which will be better - thanks.
I assume you are not UK as this is illegal

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The motor is marked as 1000w with an engraving , it doesn't matter what you do to change the wattage . The fact is as a user you can change the motor wattage which isn't legal, it must be rated and marked by the manufacturer and not the individual.

So many misguided individuals who interperet the rules /law to suit /justify their own needs.

EN15194 states the motor power rating is rated as 250w, not 350w , not 500w nor 1000w , their are no rules saying how many watts the motor can out put.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Woosh

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
The motor is marked as 1000w with an engraving , it doesn't matter what you do to change the wattage . The fact is as a user you can change the motor wattage which isn't legal, it must be rated and marked by the manufacturer and not the individual.

So many misguided individuals who interperet the rules /law to suit /justify their own needs.
Is there any sign on the motor how many watts it has?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
OK, but ;)
Almost any 250W motor can get at least 350W!
See? You slowly start to see how ridiculous it is what they put on gov web page you quoted. Almost every single e-bike in UK can reach power higher than 250W. What does it mean? All of them are illegal?

250W limit is set on "continuous (or constant) output power specified by manufacturer, at which the motor reaches its thermal equilibrium at given ambient conditions"

For some reason UK governments thinks it ok to just blab something on media and it becomes law. They have similar approach to everything, not only pedelecs.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some of us do use motors with a rating of more then 250w but we don't claim it to be legal or lawful, we certainly don't come on the forum and brag about it.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Police stop every bike converted to electric?

Also, for town riding, I can (from what I read) reprogram the controller to 250W and the speed on the regular display.
Anyway, I have no intention of going over 20mph on my bike! Especially in the town where pothole upon pothole.
This is supposed to be for off-road.
That's not suitable motor in that case. It's too heavy and agressive.

The rules for off-road are the same for on-road.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Terrain, predominantly paths, tarmac, concrete pavement rather than grass or other typical off road use
Front or rear hub 250W.
BBSHD on your step through with rim brakes is an error of judgement.

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
It is just sticker...
1.I can make similar with 25000W no problems.
2. I can remove sticker.
That's not suitable motor in that case. It's too heavy and agressive.

The rules for off-road are the same for on-road.
Is this covered in the law somewhere?
From the government website or from the links that have been posted here, it only says 250W when pedalling.
And not the potential power of the device - these are two completely different things!
BBSHD is engraved on the casing with 1000w. Even the dumbest policeman is going to be able to figure that out.
No, a police officer is not an expert on everything, besides, a police officer does not have the certificates to say so.
We live in a country where there is some law and not the discretion of someone.
A policeman may think the power is over 250W but to stop a bike, he must have proof!
If he stops the bike - because he thinks he has - then the case goes to court because, for example, I don't agree with his opinion.
According to procedure, the police officer then takes the matter to court.
The court appoints an expert to establish what the engine power was at the time of use.
If the police officer keeps the bike and I win the case, I can claim compensation!
This is how it works in another case, and I think it will be very similar in the e-bike case.
The whole myth of the police officer's omniscience comes from the fact that people are afraid to say NO to a police officer!
If the police officer hears a definite NO! then 75% of the time he will drop the case. This is known from autopsy.
The police only rely on your confession.

ps.
Once you confess to a police officer, you shut down your entire legal path, 90% of the time.
So by the way, I recommend everyone not to admit to anything when talking to a police officer.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
But I didn't want to bring up legal issues here in this thread. And only opinions about e bike kits.
The legality of 1000W or 250W I will leave at my own risk.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If you ride on private land, you only have to answer to the land owner. If you ride on a public road, path or land, you have to answer to the law. You can't plead ignorance oe just say no to the police. The basic law is that your electric bike must have a certificate of conformity to EN15194. You then need your supplier to supply the certificate to you or at least, download it from their website. If you don't have a CoC, you must have an SVA. Without a CoC or SVA, the police can impound your bike or even crush it if they have grounds to believe that it is not road legal.

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
If you ride on private land, you only have to answer to the land owner. If you ride on a public road, path or land, you have to answer to the law. You can't plead ignorance oe just say no to the police. The basic law is that your electric bike must have a certificate of conformity to EN15194. You then need your supplier to supply the certificate to you or at least, download it from their website. If you don't have a CoC, you must have an SVA. Without a CoC or SVA, the police can impound your bike or even crush it if they have grounds to believe that it is not road legal.
A police officer can believe whatever he or she wants. Legal decisions are made by the court.
This is a first.
The second in the law writes clearly what has already been quoted probably two or three times. The maximum power of the motor while pedalling must not exceed 250W!
Not a sticker, not what the manufacturer draws or writes, but a physical event.
If you limit the power definitively to 250W while pedalling, you are legal!
You are not penalised for possession but for the use of motor power.
Otherwise, it would be illegal in the UK to buy a motor over 250W.

If a police officer damages anything, he is liable like the rest of us. You are free to take him to court.
A police officer is not a court and an enforcer in one. Although many people think they are, such as yourself.

Regarding EN15194
According to a link someone posted here, you can get a certificate at a proper garage for £55.
Where physical rather than rated measurements are taken.

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc