hi, new to this site, looking for ebike advice

flat stanley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 7, 2021
hi everyone, im a 59 year old male who's body is getting a bit tired, been looking at e bikes for a while, would be doing 60 miles a week, going to work and back, maybe some leisure riding at weekends. i have seen a couple of bikes i like the look of, but are to far away to test ride under covid rules. The bikes that im looking at are royal dutch gazelle step throughs from bristol electric bikes, and the whoosh step throughs from southend, have not talked to either of these companys yet, just thought id see what people thought, thank you, flat stanley

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The Gazelle uses a Bosch system, which works very well, but comes in very expensive if anything needs fixing after warranty is up. Replacement batteries (probably not for 6 year or so) will be expensive too. The dealers can hardly do any work on them, so repair is often back to Germany, so slow as well as expensive. Or Performance Line Bearings may be able to do something.

The Woosh uses much more generic Chinese parts; probably just as reliable and much cheaper to fix and replace if anything does happen. Bike shops may not be too willing to help, but if you are at all handy you should be able fix any issues yourself (with help from this forum).

flat stanley

Mar 7, 2021
The Gazelle uses a Bosch system, which works very well, but comes in very expensive if anything needs fixing after warranty is up. Replacement batteries (probably not for 6 year or so) will be expensive too. The dealers can hardly do any work on them, so repair is often back to Germany, so slow as well as expensive. Or Performance Line Bearings may be able to do something.

The Woosh uses much more generic Chinese parts; probably just as reliable and much cheaper to fix and replace if anything does happen. Bike shops may not be too willing to help, but if you are at all handy you should be able fix any issues yourself (with help from this forum).

flat stanley

Mar 7, 2021
Thank you for your reply, if it was not for travel restrictions would go to southend , and check them out, like the santana cd, but dont know if its for me, might have to wait till things are better. The gazelle bikes are from a shop on e-bay, thats in bristol, may have got names mixed up there. Once again, ta for reply

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any bike you buy online ill be he same, you can't try for fit or if it will suit you.
Like wise buying a closed system bike like Bosh, Yamaha or Shimano is really a no no unless a local LBS, one can't simply take a bike anywhere for repair because of commission gained by a vendor to cover the warranty/repair of said bike. Bosh isn't a franchise where one can take the bike to any LBS and expect service.

flat stanley

Mar 7, 2021
Any bike you buy online ill be he same, you can't try for fit or if it will suit you.
Like wise buying a closed system bike like Bosh, Yamaha or Shimano is really a no no unless a local LBS, one can't simply take a bike anywhere for repair because of commission gained by a vendor to cover the warranty/repair of said bike. Bosh isn't a franchise where one can take the bike to any LBS and expect service.

flat stanley

Mar 7, 2021
thanks very much, it all sounds a bit complicated. i have a budget of £1000 to £1500 for something new , would like step thru dutch style, with 28 inch wheels. Something that reduces pedaling to a minimum, is reliable and comfortable, i know thats a bit vague, but any suggestions of bikes or dealers would be appreciated, I live in hull, but would be prepared to travel when lock down restrictions are lifted . Ive tried halfords, not a lot in, like everywhere else, bikes difficult to get at moment, thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
thanks very much, it all sounds a bit complicated. i have a budget of £1000 to £1500 for something new , would like step thru dutch style, with 28 inch wheels. Something that reduces pedaling to a minimum, is reliable and comfortable, i know thats a bit vague, but any suggestions of bikes or dealers would be appreciated, I live in hull, but would be prepared to travel when lock down restrictions are lifted . Ive tried halfords, not a lot in, like everywhere else, bikes difficult to get at moment, thanks
You've just described the Woosh Big Bear LS or their Santana 3. I think I'd prefer the Santana, but it depends what they have in stock.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Ditto. Wife's had a big bear ls for about 6 years now. Solid bike, good on hills. Only now starting to consider a battery re-cell as the range is starting to suffer on our Welsh hills. Not bad 6 years.

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
Hi I have a Gazelle Grenoble c8 which was not cheap at over £2500 but havng sold car had the money.
I love it as riding position is great.
Could not get away with normal MTB stycle as having to lift head to see forwards.
Dutch style has you there automatically.
Retired 76 year old not having cycled for 60 years but get out most days with max range 60 miles but I do up to 220 miles a week.
You can of course use a normal crossbar but just lay bike on ground ,stand over it and get on.
Found that tip from 83 year old that I cycle with.
He is still doing it without assistance, Amazing guy.

flat stanley

Mar 7, 2021
You've just described the Woosh Big Bear LS or their Santana 3. I think I'd prefer the Santana, but it depends what they have in stock.
thanks for suggestions, im still looking reading reviews etc, shall let u all know if i get something sorted

flat stanley

Mar 7, 2021
Hi I have a Gazelle Grenoble c8 which was not cheap at over £2500 but havng sold car had the money.
I love it as riding position is great.
Could not get away with normal MTB stycle as having to lift head to see forwards.
Dutch style has you there automatically.
Retired 76 year old not having cycled for 60 years but get out most days with max range 60 miles but I do up to 220 miles a week.
You can of course use a normal crossbar but just lay bike on ground ,stand over it and get on.
Found that tip from 83 year old that I cycle with.
He is still doing it without assistance, Amazing guy.
thank you, been on holiday in netherlands a few years ago, love dutch bikes, place is cycling heaven.

Leaperslair

Feb 11, 2021
hi everyone, im a 59 year old male who's body is getting a bit tired, been looking at e bikes for a while, would be doing 60 miles a week, going to work and back, maybe some leisure riding at weekends. i have seen a couple of bikes i like the look of, but are to far away to test ride under covid rules. The bikes that im looking at are royal dutch gazelle step throughs from bristol electric bikes, and the whoosh step throughs from southend, have not talked to either of these companys yet, just thought id see what people thought, thank you, flat stanley
I bought a Raleigh motus grand tour hub gear great bike and good after sales too my wife has the motus as well and loves the assistance it gives .