Hi Potential Pedelec owner here (Wolverhampton)

linuxyeti

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 17, 2013
Hi All

Joined a few weeks ago, so decided it was high time I said hello. I ride a regular non powered bike a reasonable amount, and have even done the journey to work (Birmingham) on it a few times, but it's not entirely practical for that journey, hence why I'm looking at electric bikes. I was going to get one through the cycle to work scheme, but, not having much luck there, where I work they will only deal with Cycle To Work Scheme | Ride To Work Tax Free Bikes | Cycle Solutions , which is a shame, as their range isn't great to begin with, they won't stock wooshbikes, or facilitate the deal so that I'm able to get a wooshbike bike, and to top it off, after working with them, to find that the best they have on their books which best matches my requirements, Daws Boost Suburbia, I order, everything is accepted, until they phone me back and say sorry, no more stock now until next year !!. Next I try to see if my local bike shop will stock the woosh bike, and again, their reply to that was sorry, we don't them, but we stock better quality bikes instead.

So, a couple of quick questions, does anybody own a Wooshbikes bike (Sirocco-CD is what I'm really interested in), and just what is the quality, and spare parts availability like.

This will be my first pedelec, when I eventually get one, and I don't wnt to pay in the 1000's for one. Reading through the specs the wooshbike Sirocco-CD looks perfect for me. And finally, anybody near Wolverhampton with a Sirocco-CD that I could have a look at/test ride?

Sorry for the long rambling first post, I promise I will try and keep my others much shorter!!

Cheers

Tony

D

Deleted member 4366

So, a couple of quick questions, does anybody own a Wooshbikes bike (Sirocco-CD is what I'm really interested in), and just what is the quality, and spare parts availability like.
It doesn't matter how much you pay for a bike, the chance of problems are similar - just different problems. Woosh bikes use standard Chinese components that are relatively cheap to replace and readily available from a number of suppliers. Everything is modular, so easy to fix in the unlikely event that something does go wrong. When I talk about quality, I mean the extent to which the item does what it's supposed to do and how long it'll continue to do it. In that respect, a Woosh bike scores highly. Some more expensive bikes are more comfortable and/or have more features and/or more sophisticated systems, but they're all limited to the same speed. The support is also good from Woosh. They sell a lot of bikes, and nobody has complained on this forum, and I don't remember any serious (or other) problems being reported here. If you know about bikes already - how to adjust etc. - you should have no problem with a Woosh.

Last edited by a moderator:

paulhipwood

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2012
Halesowen
Dear Tony
Have you thought of converting your existing bike.
I did lasy year.
I live in Halesowen and work in Wombourne.
The kit cost £400 amd was fairly easy to set up. I bought it from the UK.
I have had a few problems but nothing major, I do about 2k to 3k per year.
best regards
paul

colonel

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2012
Preston, Lancashire
I wanted to dip my toe without spending too much and liked the look of the Woosh Scirocco 2 with the 15ah battery. I purchased it via work on a salary sacrifice (company run rather than cyclescheme which takes 10% off the retailer) so it only costs about £400. The bike is a solid and heavy chinese import, but all the parts are of reasonable quality that should last a few years and as Dv8eh says these parts are cheap to replace anyway. By the time they wear out you will probably need a new battery anyway or be wanting to upgrade the technology.
Hatti and the team at Woosh were also good to deal with.

Contact me if there are any specific questions that I may be able to answer for you.

Regards
Dave

DavePat

Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
Tyne and Wear
I have a Woosh CD and done about 400 miles so far, not much in last month due to a bug then a couple of weeks holiday. It is heavy if you need to manhandle it anytime especially with a couple of panniers on. But, it will get you just about anywhere you want to go. I have done several trips of almost 40 miles on mixed routes and it is easy on battery life not even close to running out. Went to the Peak district for 4 days and it coped with the hills and trails no problem. My friend Pam has a hub driven bike and struggled on some hills, we swapped bikes and she left me behind.
I took off the throttle, changed the grips and added bar ends for more comfort on longer trips. My grouse has always been the gearing, not long enough for on the flat, the new ones have 8 gears and a wider spread. I am currently going through some trials and tribulations trying the change my gears so I am jealous of any owners of the revised bike.
I hope this is useful,

Dave

linuxyeti

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 17, 2013
Hi All

Thanks for the replies, it does look like I'll be going for the Sirocco CD. That fact that it's chinese isn't a problem, as I experienced similar prejudice when I got my first Chinese 125 motorbike. I've had a few chinese motorbikes over time, still have 2, and have absolutely no complaints about them, the reaction I've seen from various bike shops, other forums, is almost exactly the same as I used to see when reading the forums for chinese motorbikes. As it is, Chinese 125's are now pretty firmly established, and I see the same thing happening with chinese e-bikes. On the positive side, those expensive Honda, Yamaha and so on 125's, have either had to come down in price, or improve considerably in quality to compete, I guess the same will have to happen with some of the established, and premium brands of e-bikes.

Cheers

Tony

D

Deleted member 4366

My grouse has always been the gearing, not long enough for on the flat, the new ones have 8 gears and a wider spread. I am currently going through some trials and tribulations trying the change my gears so I am jealous of any owners of the revised bike.
I hope this is useful,

Dave
You can buy wheels with cassette gears on Ebay very cheaply. Most cassettes have 11T top gear, which makes the bike more comfortable to pedal at higher speeds.
Alex Rims 26" Rear wheel Shimano hub | eBay
Giant S-Xc2 Wheelset | eBay