Hi there my name is Gary and 63 and quite new to electric bikes. I wonder he anybody knows about the Carrera Vulcan e bike

Gary.Taggart

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 19, 2020
Good morning. I've got the Carrera Vulcan e bike and it seams to be holding back the power while I'm peddling under 15 mph. There are no fault warnings showing and it has me concerned.
I would be grateful for your help.
Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's not a very clear description of the problem, nor do you tell us which version you have. The latest version is different to the original.

What do you see on the LCD while this is going on? Is everything normal?

Gary.Taggart

Oct 19, 2020
I bought the bike in May this year off a guy who couldn't get on with it. It's an early 2020 bike that's all I know. When your riding the bike it feels like I'm putting the brakes on and off although I've checked the brakes and they are fine.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Are you saying the motor assistance is stopping as it should do at 15.5 mph?

Gary.Taggart

Oct 19, 2020
No I know it should stop at 15.5mph it just feels like the brakes are coming on and off ever so slightly.

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
LCD in the centre is the old type. There are three things I'd look at: firstly, the motor connector under the left chainstay. Unclip it and make sure it's properly connected, then zip-tie it out the way of where you can't kick it; Secondly, the torque sensor connector and the wire from the torque sensor, which is screwed to the back of the chainwheel. Check that the cable isn't damaged and that the connector is in good condition; Thirdly, take the LCD off and clean all the contacts.

If none of those fix it, you have to take off the torque sensor and clean it. There are some very thin slots that light has to pass through, which you will see when you have it off the bike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harrie

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
an early 2020 bike will still be under warranty with Halfords. Not sure if the warranty was transferable, but if the seller was a mate, he/she might be able to return it to Halfords store and pose as the current owner

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
do the power segments on the right hand side jump up and down at the same time as the issue ?

Gary.Taggart

Oct 19, 2020
Working long day at the moment but I'll check out these things as soon as I can then get back to you all. A big thank you to all.
Any more suggestions will be appreciated.