hi to all from newbie in Birmingham.

Ian Walker

Just Joined
Apr 22, 2012
birmingham, uk
Greetings everyone. My first posting; after following (lurking:) ) for a while . I am in the process of putting together my first e-bike. Its an old(ish) 200w Batribike Granite model which I got off e-bay a short while ago.
It needs some work, and I am struggling to find any bike shops in Birmingham who have any more knowledge than I do ( which isn't much!) ..
So, I would like to ask if anyone knows of any decent bike shops in the area, or group members who would be willing to offer some practical help.

Incidentally, a big thank you to Frank at Xipi Xipi Electric Bikes who spent a fair time giving me excellent advice today ; a real knowledgeable guy

D

Deleted member 4366

Greetings everyone. My first posting; after following (lurking:) ) for a while . I am in the process of putting together my first e-bike. Its an old(ish) 200w Batribike Granite model which I got off e-bay a short while ago.
It needs some work, and I am struggling to find any bike shops in Birmingham who have any more knowledge than I do ( which isn't much!) ..
So, I would like to ask if anyone knows of any decent bike shops in the area, or group members who would be willing to offer some practical help.

Incidentally, a big thank you to Frank at Xipi Xipi Electric Bikes who spent a fair time giving me excellent advice today ; a real knowledgeable guy
You should be able to get all the help you need here. You only have to ask. If you need parts, most are easily available online. I don't know any electric bike shops in Birmingham, but there's more springing up all the time. A Google search shows a few.

D

Deleted member 4366

You should be able to get all the help you need here. You only have to ask. If you need parts, most are easily available online. I don't know any electric bike shops in Birmingham, but there's more springing up all the time. A Google search shows a few.

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
I'm not aware of anything in the city, I bought a throttle from Smith's in Kidderminster a couple of years ago.

Whereabouts are you? I cross the centre travelling east to west most days when the weather is better than today.

Ian Walker

Just Joined
Apr 22, 2012
birmingham, uk
Hi, I am in Shirley, near to Solihull. ( south side) I did a google search for ebike shops in the area and it only came up with one .. Ladypool cycles (a Powerbyke stockist.)

I seem to be getting into a right old mess with this bike, because when I got it I was warned that the battery was uncharged for a year but was still holding some power, but when I got it back it effectively died. After being quoted £300 from Batribike for a replacement I managed to get another originally off an Urban mover, (made with Panasonic cells ) 24v 8ah off Ebay for £60. It seems to work perfectly ( showing full charge anyway) but the connections into the bike are completely different. Does anyone know how I can connect the 2 ( or want to make me an offer for them!)

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
Solihull - shame, that's another world to us Sutton Coldfield residents. Ian, I'm not an electrician or an engineer, but have worked out which way around to wire up ebikes. It's a bit scary with lots of amps, but place a fuse in the circuit and you can't do much harm. Post up some pictures of your connectors or explain what you have and someone will know.

Ian Walker

Just Joined
Apr 22, 2012
birmingham, uk
Thanks, yes it is the opposite side of the city. I contacted the only 2 E-bike shops in Birmingham that I could find. Neither was willing to deal with bikes other than those they stocked.So I am in the same position and and quite seriously considering selling the bike and spare battery. So, in the hope that someone here can help..here goes ;

The photos will hopefully show my dilemma. for some reason best known to myself I assumed that the batteries were interchangeable but obviously not.

The Batribike (dead) battery is/was a 24v 12 ah Li-on whereas the 'replacement' Urban mover NiMH is a 24v 8ah which I am told may not be as good but will do the job.

IMG03510.jpgIMG03511.jpgIMG03512.jpgIMG03513.jpgIMG03514.jpg

the first photo shows the original female sockets which need to connect to the corresponding pins on the Batribike

hope this helps.
. Thanks

Last edited:

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
I'm far from the most technical person on here, but;

The UM battery has two terminals, -ve and +ve that are designed to fit with connectors on the bike. You need to solder some wires onto them, or perhaps if you remove the screws from the cover some spade connectors would fit?

The Batribike has four connectors. Both my Li-ion batteries have three connectors, a siamesed -ve with separate +ve for charge and discharge. Looking behind the socket might give you a clue from the colour of the wires, otherwise there's only a limited number of permutations to ascertain the right two.