Hi

afzal

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2023
Kerala, India
Open the controller you have, find out which chip it uses, typically an STM chip, then look into making it talk to your phone. That's the lowest cost route.
Initial version of hardware is ready, firmware development is under progress.

Reactions: Woosh

afzal

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2023
Kerala, India
Let's say that you have indeed designed and made the perfect PAS system. In that case the only comment we can make is to congratulate you and ask how and when we can get one.
BTW, I have some memory about something like this from a few years ago. Did you mention this before on here or some other forum?
I am under no illusion that I would be able to make a perfect controller. But my hope is to make a good pedelec controller that can make cycling an enjoyable experience, being aware that people have different preferences and might not suit everyone.

This was mentioned on ES, here it started

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I am under no illusion that I would be able to make a perfect controller, perfect is the enemy of good. But my hope is to make a good pedelec controller that can make cycling an enjoyable experience, being aware that people have different preferences and might not suit everyone.

This was mentioned on ES, here it started
The discussion that I remember was a few years ago. I'm sure it was a guy from India or somewhere like that and the idea was similar to yours.

You were missing my point above. let me make it clearer: What are you expecting or hoping to get from us?

afzal

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2023
Kerala, India
The discussion that I remember was a few years ago. I'm sure it was a guy from India or somewhere like that and the idea was similar to yours.
I had mentioned only in ES forum, that was only last year. It certainly is not me.

You were missing my point above. let me make it clearer: What are you expecting or hoping to get from us?
Get to know better the pedelec user viewpoint, beta testing and feedback, and later if things work out well sales.

Product is under development, expecting it to be ready for beta testing in around 9 months.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You need to be more specific about exactly what your idea does, then we can comment on it. All we have is that you say that you think that your idea makes the power algorithms better for you. We have very little details of what your bike was like before you started other than you didn't like the power algorithms. How much power did it have? What was the current from the controller? What's the voltage, what type of motor was it? what sort of gars did you have? Show some photos of the parts. If you don't know what they are, maybe we can, then we might be able to show you alternative ways of solving the problem.

My memory is starting to come back regarding that previous didcussion. When the details finally came out of what the guy was using, there was something fundamentally flawed in his starting point, so his fantastic idea was blown out.

afzal

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2023
Kerala, India
You need to be more specific about exactly what your idea does, then we can comment on it.
Controller estimates rider pedal effort without using any accessories, connections other than the ones normally made on a pedelec. Based on this estimate, it instructs the motor to provide torque (current) in proportion. Please bear with me on not revealing further details about the idea.

All we have is that you say that you think that your idea makes the power algorithms better for you.
I also have a proof-of-concept implementation that provides a bionic feel w/o using torque sensor. Implementation was done on an open source hardware platform (VESC), firmware changed to implement the idea.

We have very little details of what your bike was like before you started other than you didn't like the power algorithms. How much power did it have? What was the current from the controller? What's the voltage, what type of motor was it? what sort of gars did you have?
As I mentioned earlier, it was complete e-bike purchased & since it was the first one I didn't want to mess with electricals (e-cycles are rare here, also it is difficult to get repaired at the service center). I came to this conclusion based on the behavior.

Show some photos of the parts.
Photo of the above mentioned e-cycle I don't have at the moment (it is at a different place, if insisting, I can take the photo tomorrow or Monday), the model is Hero Lectro Townmaster, they have improved the product to add bluetooth & other smart features and is now called Hero Lectro C8 (https://www.herolectro.com/c8-SHLE70GYBK01HM_main.html)

If you don't know what they are, maybe we can, then we might be able to show you alternative ways of solving the problem.
What I wanted was a bionic riding feel and the proof-of-concept implementation did gave me that.

I have a photo of the PoC, it have geared hub motor on the front & direct drive on the rear, done so that the implementation can be demonstrated on both kind of motors by only changing the connections to the respective motor (only one at a time). Controller is VESC on which my firmware is running. Sorry for the untidy look.

Irony is that after getting into startup incubator, due to very busy schedule, weather & other reasons, though I am working on pedelec controller, I have temporarily stopped using the e-bike.

My memory is starting to come back regarding that previous didcussion. When the details finally came out of what the guy was using, there was something fundamentally flawed in his starting point, so his fantastic idea was blown out.
Please don't get me wrong, if you can find that discussion, let me know the link, I too can know what was done there.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You can smooth the ride with code, you can make a statistical guess at the rider's effort. It's done before as far back as the Copenhagen wheel that we discussed years before. Guesses can't replace the immediacy of a torque sensor.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Processor algorithm estimates the rider effort from the feedback's available to pedelec controller, no accessories are required other than the one minimally required on pedelec (basic PAS)
Is there communication with the controller using switches, such as Morse code via the brakes?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Is there communication with the controller using switches, such as Morse code via the brakes?
Thats actually a possibility.

Say 5 rapid pulls on a lever to activate the 'mode' then a right & left code to do something, a stealth speed restriction switch maybe .................

"No Officer, there is no switch to disable the speed restriction".

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Say 5 rapid pulls on a lever to activate the 'mode' then a right & left code to do something, a stealth speed restriction switch maybe .................
clever. Would anybody mind if I borrow your idea in my next project, say 5 quick left pulls to increase assist level, 5 right pulls to decrease assist level?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Facial fear recognition braking, and/or bike horn, recording of GPS co-ordinates and autmated text/call to emergency services? I'd like to see semaphore recognition, hand gesture recognition used on ebikes, which among other things could enable...

Middle finger salute derestrict?

Last edited:
  • :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thats actually a possibility.

Pedalling backwards can also be detected via the PAS magnets, could be used to trigger something, also could be used in combination with other triggers/switches such as the ebrakes. If there's a gear sensor, something triggered elsewhere on the bike within n seconds after a gear change, could switch on derestriction or something else. Lots of possibilities.

Last edited:
  • Agree

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Simple microphone and an Arduino should do it; 'faster', 'slower', 'whoa there boy' is about all you need.
(Of course, it will be pretty obvious how to hack into that system.)

• Agree