Hiadi battery cells

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello everyone.

I'm currently interested in a Wisper 905SE. It's not a youngster and in 2017 it was re-celled with Hiadi cells (36v x 15.5ah) at a cost of £394. I can't find anything about these cells - can anyone shed any light please.

Ta

Gaz

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:
Reactions: Gaz

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hello everyone.

I'm currently interested in a Wisper 905SE. It's not a youngster and in 2017 it was re-celled with Hiadi cells (36v x 15.5ah) at a cost of £394. I can't find anything about these cells - can anyone shed any light please.

Ta

Gaz
As with any e-bike bought secondhand, some previous owners "ruin" batteries, because the manufacturers keep the details of proper battery maintenance secret, otherwise a lot of first time owners, especially Ladies, would never buy a bike, even a new one.
So make sure that the battery is good enough when charged, for a good long ride and a re-charge, as being a simple and probably the best way to go, as up and down a street once says very little.
Remember, a charger usually shows a Green LED for one of 3 reasons:-
1) the battery is not connected,
2) battery is fully charged
3) Battery is defective and not taking a charge.
Even the Red LED can be misleading for a newbie buying a secondhand bike:-
1) Battery is taking a charge normally
2) Battery or charger is damaged but not charging properly, but something is still taking power from the charger and until the plug is pulled, will never ever stop glowing Red!
Remember, Batteries are expensive, and what may seem to be a great price for a secondhand bike, will look a lot different if you have to pay £394 again on top!
Someone here may know a different but simple way to test a bike battery properly, without the long ride!!
Also, buying a secondhand bike with a cheque (is that still possible nowadays?), with a date for somewhere in the future, MIGHT be possible still! e.g. Stop the cheque if the battery or bike is faulty!
Many faults will never be seen without a long ride, motor noise when warm/hot being a good example..
regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A static test under power with the wheel off the ground and application of the brake to the tipping point of not stopping the wheel will induce a good loading for a test.

Voltage isn't a reliable test alone for a healthy battery as old worn cells with high IR/capacity loss will still hold a good full voltage. A simple test ride in high assist and use of throttle if fitted may show up on a poor battery even better if you can use a good incline and go on a good run.

Reactions: Gaz and Andy-Mat

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Many thanks for the thoughts and advice folks :)

Not now tempted enough to take a punt on it.

Gaz

D

Deleted member 25121

Hello everyone.

Ta

Gaz
Never heard of Hiadi, steer well clear of that bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The battery is likely ok at a near £400 price tag and as we know the Wisper is well supported, the punt is worthwhile if the price is right. The battery was over two years ago so again the usual caveat about batteries and how well they may or may not last.