high viz.......

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
There's a woman down here who runs a riding stable & rides the Clay Trails wearing one of these:

Problem is - I think she's started to think she really is some kind of hobby bobby.....

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
I hate this kind of blatant manipulation. Not subtle at all. It just says "I think you're stupid" just like the old 'polite notice' clamping signs.

Having said that, I quite like the idea without the polite writing. The driver still has to determine whether you are police or not. By which time they've had to consider the situation anyway but they'd feel less duped.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I saw an imitation jam-sandwich in Glasgow, with the word, "POLISH" on the side. The POLIS were not amused.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
from motorcyclists using them Im not convinced by hi-vis vests. Problem with vests is that most people seem to use them undone which means that the gape open and the place that you most need to be seen is from the front. Meaning they are pointless.

Now a full Hi-vis jacket I can understand (zipped up). Plus a white helmet which seems to stand out more than most colours.

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Saw a very high-viz bike that had been completely covered in RetroReflective.
Looked white in day, shone at night, but bit garish & reminded people of ghost bikes.
I just put a stripe of retroreflective around my bike helmet, coz its high up & breaks up the black.

Read that a 60deg arc of it over side wall of tyre is more viz than all round coz of the movement. So presumably a retroreflec leg stripe is hi-viz mover too, but who would wear one :)

Ditto the 'Blond Wig' that scientist said made drivers keep away. Better off with a homemade, reversible, striped hi-viz look-alike jacket, so you can turn it inside out if attracting wrong kind of attention :D. That's enough, I'm rambling now...