Higher powered controller?

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Sorry if this has been asked many time before but I have searched and cannot find the answer..

I need to replace the controller on my wife's electric bike as it appears to have died (water ingress!).

She has a Rush Trek with a Bafang 250W motor. The supplied controller is an HL3615LXD1 (made by HL?)

I have been looking at e-crazyman controllers and have read in a few posts that the lower powered ones cannot supply much current; looking at the specs a direct swap should be the 250W rated ecrazyman at 15A.

What would be the effect of installing a higher powered (e.g. 25A 350W) controller to this bike?

Secondly...are the ecrazyman controllers all adjustable for top speed (allowing it to be used a little faster off-road?)

Many thanks.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I think I found some answers.....can anybody confirm if I am correct or not?

Upping the controller power will increase the torque at some risk of overheating the motor / wiring.

The speed from the bike with an ecrazyman (or other USA spec) controller will be around 20mph instead of the previous top speed of 15mph.

I would still also like some advice as to a suitable slightly upgraded controller for the Bafang 250W motor.....any suggestions?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Upping the current delivery by itself won't increase the speed but it will improve the hill climb ability at the expense of shorter battery life (distance). However controllers have the ability to be configured to set the top speed so this is probably where the increase comes from...

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The Bafang 250W motor can be over driven but you'll find most sellers will tell you it invalidates the warranty. I run mine, a 36v unit at just under 50v on a full charged battery, it's a great climber and also goes well on the flat. You have to keep the speed up on hills as slowing down too much just puts too much heat into the motor coils vs forward speed.

The controller I use is a 20amp one and power draw can reach over 1kw on a fresh battery. Sounds great but you must make sure your battery has the power to meet this requirement otherwise it will die quickly.

Last edited:

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Thanks for the helpful replies!

I will I think put one of the ecrazyman 350W controllers in which will hopefully provide around 20A instead of 15A.

Also the 15mph restriction will be removed with this controller as far as I can tell.

This will hopefully give me the modest increase in performance that I would like.

Thanks again.

B

Thanks for the helpful replies!

I will I think put one of the ecrazyman 350W controllers in which will hopefully provide around 20A instead of 15A.

Also the 15mph restriction will be removed with this controller as far as I can tell.

This will hopefully give me the modest increase in performance that I would like.

Thanks again.

B
With the ecrazyman controller you drive a little faster because no cut at 15mph this is right.
But if you want setup the controller 20A choose the sensorlesscontroller from ecrazyman because with 20ampere the motor becomes overheat when hill climbing . The result is a male function on one off the hall (sooner or later)
And by the way you should use iron Sproket for the bafang because the plastic sproket is to weak for 20Ampere

You can do how you want do it, but only if you are a good bikerider, means not lazy on the bike.
If you are lazy on the bike and more ride the bike as a motorbike do it how i suggest.

regards
frank

PS: sorry for my worth english but i hope you can understand what i mean.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
With the ecrazyman controller you drive a little faster because no cut at 15mph this is right.
But if you want setup the controller 20A choose the sensorlesscontroller from ecrazyman because with 20ampere the motor becomes overheat when hill climbing . The result is a male function on one off the hall (sooner or later)
And by the way you should use iron Sproket for the bafang because the plastic sproket is to weak for 20Ampere

You can do how you want do it, but only if you are a good bikerider, means not lazy on the bike.
If you are lazy on the bike and more ride the bike as a motorbike do it how i suggest.

regards
frank

PS: sorry for my worth english but i hope you can understand what i mean.

Thanks for that Frank - your English is great by the way!

I'm not sure that I want to start taking the motor apart so I guess I'll just be careful as you suggest (especially up hills!). Were would I look to buy metal gears if I wanted to upgrade the motor?

B.

Were would I look to buy metal gears if I wanted to upgrade the motor?

B.
Metal gears for the bafang you can buy in my shop in guangzhou or at my friend, ecrazyman in shenzhen

But with the metal-gear the motor produce a little more noise and the sun-wheel have a little more to work so it can be need to replace after some thousand kilometer.

frank