Help! Higo and Julet issue

Titanium Alex

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2023
Hi all

New here so I hope this isn't a daft question. I can't find anything

I bought a new sw102 lcd for my bbs conversion. Stupidly I ordered the wrong connector. It has come with a large Higo marked connector. I need the standard Julet one

Does anyone know if adaptors are available or how to wire to a Julet connector. I've got the old d53003efuct lcd to cannibalise

Thankyou fir any help
Alex

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Cut the connectors off and join the wires - red to red, black to black, blue to blue, then you need to look in the controller and LCD to see which is connected to Rx and Tx. The Rx wire connects to the Tx on the other side and vice versa.

Reactions: Titanium Alex

Titanium Alex

Jul 26, 2023
Cut the connectors off and join the wires - red to red, black to black, blue to blue, then you need to look in the controller and LCD to see which is connected to Rx and Tx. The Rx wire connects to the Tx on the other side and vice versa.
Thanks but the lcd is fully sealed and no way of getting inside. Equally the controller is fully potted. Food for thought, I hate wastage but I might have to give up on this

Titanium Alex

Jul 26, 2023
Hiya, I've not been able to find any more info

Given the sealed lcd and potted controller. What happens if I guess the rx and tx and get it wrong. Clearly a 50/50 gamble? Would it break anything (I won't risk) or just not work (I will risk)

Thanks for insight

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
Tx is an output and Rx is an input, Connecting two TX's together is a problem if one tried to go high while the other wants to pull low. but usually there are resistors in place within the IC or outside of it that keep them from blowing up,

As long as you don't connect the two leads that carry battery voltage to Rx or TX or a ground.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hiya, I've not been able to find any more info

Given the sealed lcd and potted controller. What happens if I guess the rx and tx and get it wrong. Clearly a 50/50 gamble? Would it break anything (I won't risk) or just not work (I will risk)

Thanks for insight
Nothing will happen if you get Tx and Rx crossed over. It just won't work. Nothing will burn and nothing will blow. There's no power in those wires. It's just data which is a pulsing 5v signal, and it's not a real 5v, so it can't do anything except send signals. It's the same as your brake switches. They're 5v, but you can't power anything with it.

What you mustn't do is let those data wires touch any 36v ones, like the blue and red ones.

Titanium Alex

Jul 26, 2023
Nothing will happen if you get Tx and Rx crossed over. It just won't work. Nothing will burn and nothing will blow. There's no power in those wires. It's just data which is a pulsing 5v signal, and it's not a real 5v, so it can't do anything except send signals. It's the same as your brake switches. They're 5v, but you can't power anything with it.

What you mustn't do is let those data wires touch any 36v ones, like the blue and red ones.
Thank you, I've still not dared do it just in case but I think this weekend is a go.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
The key word here is "pinout"

a google search for 'ebike julet pinout' should get you started..

'ebike higo pinout' looks equally fruitful

Titanium Alex

Jul 26, 2023
Well I didn't expect this. The bigger Higo has 8 wires and the smaller Julet just the five....

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It was what one would expect one was a 5 pin connector and the other an 8 pin connector , what were you expecting Kirstin ?
Using logic one assumes the White is a speed signal, Brown battery voltage and Orange a sw wire ? Though these are redundant so nt really sure that the display will work correctly.

Last edited:

Titanium Alex

Jul 26, 2023
I'm not sure exactly, I guess I'd seen connectors where only some of the pins are used enough times to hope that an identical lcd would have the same number of wires regardless of the end connector.

I guess I'll wire it up on a best efforts basis and see

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Well I didn't expect this. The bigger Higo has 8 wires and the smaller Julet just the five....
was going to say, 8 pin vs 5 pin holes but assumed you had that angle covered.

Titanium Alex

Jul 26, 2023
So the moral of this particular story is - don't try

Just blew my controller trying. Not sure why, used the pin out diagrams but I guess Chinese wiring is what it is and can't be trusted half the time.

So to save 30 quid I've cost myself at least 130 for a new bbs02 controller plus all the hassle alongside

May another learn from my missteps!!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
According to Lunacycle:

So the moral of this particular story is - don't try

Just blew my controller trying. Not sure why, used the pin out diagrams but I guess Chinese wiring is what it is and can't be trusted half the time.

So to save 30 quid I've cost myself at least 130 for a new bbs02 controller plus all the hassle alongside

May another learn from my missteps!!
I killed a BBS01B controller, resolved to never do it again... at least, not the same way as last time! Bought a spare, just in case.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: PC2017