Hill climbing, short range, small frame

RosieL

Just Joined
Jun 19, 2015
First of all, hi all! I have spent my afternoon trawling through the forums looking at recommendations for good hill climbers but haven't found anyone who had quite the same requirements as me so thought I would ask for your advice.

I live in Hebden Bridge, land of endless stupid hills. When I lived in London I was pretty comfortable cycling 16 miles a day on the flat, but I moved house to south London to avoid having to cycle up hill on my commute so you can imagine how much of a fan I am of the hills around here.

I don't have a car so I'm looking for a get-me-around bike, I don't need a lot of range as my journeys are likely to be under 5 miles each way. What I need is something that is going to get me up some steep hills with minimal effort on my part so that heading out to the shops or into the next town is a quick and painless trip. I have a mountain bike for days out on the downhill, so this bike is an a-to-b type affair.

It's going to be stored in the basement so weight is a concern as it'll need to be carried up and down stairs.

As I'm only 5'3 something with a one-size-probably-doesn't-fit-all frame is likely to be big and uncomfortable for me, I need something with a small frame though I'm not fussed whether it's step over or step through.

And one final point is that it needs to be something that is stocked by a shop that will offer finance options as looking at the prices it's not something I'm going to be able to fork out in one go. I'll take all the help and recommendations you can offer me!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the woosh Gallego would do it.
It's very light, probably the lightest folding bike on the market but you don't have to carry it, you can drag it up and down the stairs on its rack wheels.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gallego

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
This bike will need a power point in your basement to charge the battery as it has to be charged on the bike. Woosh have a good reputation.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you can fold the bike and pull the battery out.
the battery on its own weighs about 2kgs.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Whoops, I was thinking of the zephyr-cdn from Woosh. ignore my post, trex is correct on this point.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
If you're in Hebden Bridge, there are Kalkhoffs to try in Blazing Saddles.

Blazing Saddles
35 West End
Hebden Bridge
West Yorkshire HX7 8UQ

Available to demonstrate:
Kalkhoff Agattu Premium Impulse 8, 46cm step-thru with 28" wheels

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Available to demonstrate:
Kalkhoff Agattu Premium Impulse 8, 46cm step-thru with 28" wheels
the OP is 5ft 3, not 6ft 3.

Reactions: Scott clarke

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
the OP is 5ft 3, not 6ft 3.
Good point, well made.

I think the OP needs to try an ebike if she has not done so to get an idea of the amount of assistance available.

There are lots of hills and nasty ramps where she lives.

It may be something gruntier than a Gallego is required.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Gallego has 15A Lishui controller and 8-Fun SWX front hub motor like the Woosh Sundowner but running on 16" wheels instead of 29". It is slower but much more capable hill climber than the Sundowner.

motor on woosh Sundowner:

motor on woosh Gallego:

Last edited:

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Good point, well made.

I think the OP needs to try an ebike if she has not done so to get an idea of the amount of assistance available.

There are lots of hills and nasty ramps where she lives.

It may be something gruntier than a Gallego is required.
It will depend upon the controller, I just fitted a 17 amp 36v controller to my Beat bike clone (with matching battery), its climbing ability is very impressive for a tiny single speed folder or even for any ebike.

swampy

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2015
Hey RosieL :)
I'm a 5'1" girly in hilly Cornwall :)
I have a Kudos Tempo, it's a smaller frame step through. It's great :-D
To take it up or down stairs o have to take the battery out so it's a tad lighter. I can manage it fine then.
I purchased it from e-bikes direct, with my employer's cycle scheme :-D
Sarah x