Hill Starts

Flower

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2020
Plymouth, Devon
Hi, new here and first post!
I have a new (to me) 8 months old, prorider Etourer that I purchased yesterday! I've just taken it out for a ride and I am in love with it, although it speeds down hills and scares me just a tad haha! I'm sure I'll get used to it as I get more confident.

Anyway, just a quick question if you don't mind? the bike eats hills which is great, however, I do struggle when starting from stationary at the bottom of the hill, obviously I have to be going 3mp for the motor to kick in...is it just a case of suck it up and the fitter I get the easier it will be? Or is there a special trick that I'm missing?
Any input gratefully received! Thank you, Claire.

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Something you really want to avoid if you can, i would start off going downhill and do a u turn and carry as much speed as i can going uphill or go on walk mode

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are a lot of versions of that bike. Can you show us a complete picture of the handlebars from above?

Flower

Jun 20, 2020
Plymouth, Devon
Thank you for your reply, unfortunately my ride today was downhill all the way, some pretty steep hills, so obviously uphill back...there is one bit where I come out of the woods into the middle of a steep hill, there is no room really to ride down and uturn to come back up again...this was the only bit of my ride where I walked, once it levelled out at a crossing, I was on it again and it literally breezed up the hill....it's a small price to pay for the rest of the assistance it gives me!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You have the 4mph throttle, so you can use that to start up while you pedal. It should be instant. I think the red button switches it on and off to make it active, then you just twist it to start.

The motor controller sits in the little compartment under the battery. If you unscrew the plate on the side, you'll see all the wires inside. Have a look in there to see if there are two single wires (often white or grey) that are not connected to anything. If it has them and you connect them together, it will probably convert the throttle to 15 mph.

Flower

Jun 20, 2020
Plymouth, Devon
You have the 4mph throttle, so you can use that to start up while you pedal. It should be instant.

The motor controller sits in the little compartment under the battery. If you unscrew the plate on the side, you'll see all the wires inside. Have a look in there to see if there are two single wires (often white or grey) that are not connected to anything. If it has them and you connect them together, it will probably convert the throttle to 15 mph.
Wow! Thank you! I may sweet talk the other half into having a look for me...unless I grow some and get brave to look myself, but I'm a clumsy oaf and will probably break something

Thanks again for your reply! Very helpful!

Flower

Jun 20, 2020
Plymouth, Devon
I've just had a quick look, and wow, there is a lot of wires in there, I did see 1 very thin unconnected white one, but being aware of how clumsy I am, I didn't move them around too much....assuming I (or the other half ) finds the other wire, how would I (he) connect them together?

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
You also need to change to a low gear before stopping, that will make getting away easier and quicker. Essential for junctions as well as hills.

Reactions: Andy-Mat and Flower

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've just had a quick look, and wow, there is a lot of wires in there, I did see 1 very thin unconnected white one, but being aware of how clumsy I am, I didn't move them around too much....assuming I (or the other half ) finds the other wire, how would I (he) connect them together?
They should have matching connectors, so just clip together.

Reactions: Flower

Flower

Jun 20, 2020
Plymouth, Devon
You also need to change to a low gear before stopping, that will make getting away easier and quicker. Essential for junctions as well as hills.
Yes, I had figured that one out, I'm fine going uphill from cycling, it's just going up from being stationary that I struggled with today. I'm not too great with cycling having not done it for many, many years, but hopefully, I'll get there!

Last edited:

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hi, new here and first post!
I have a new (to me) 8 months old, prorider Etourer that I purchased yesterday! I've just taken it out for a ride and I am in love with it, although it speeds down hills and scares me just a tad haha! I'm sure I'll get used to it as I get more confident.

Anyway, just a quick question if you don't mind? the bike eats hills which is great, however, I do struggle when starting from stationary at the bottom of the hill, obviously I have to be going 3mp for the motor to kick in...is it just a case of suck it up and the fitter I get the easier it will be? Or is there a special trick that I'm missing?
Any input gratefully received! Thank you, Claire.
Start off in your lowest (easiest to pedal) gear and use your throttle

Reactions: Flower

Flower

Jun 20, 2020
Plymouth, Devon
So, the other half had a good rummage and look this morning and it seems that there is only 1 wire that is not connected to anything it has a metal piece on the bottom of it....hmmm? Will take a photo when I get home as I am just out on a test ride to work and back for when we re-open....