Home made chain oil

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I can across this article regarding chain oil ingredients.

Lubes are 80-98% base oil and 2-20% additives

I suppose that more oil means a summer lube and less a winter lube

Canola oil is mentioned quite a lot in these topics, it is rapeseed oil.
It's quite thin so I wonder if you could use Vegetable Glycerine Liquid to thicken it.
The article mentions that anti wear friction components are added, Lubrizol LZ4370LG. This company does eco versions of additives, hard to find the correct info though.
I wonder if something like this would work as well.
There are other eco additives available.
Synthetic esters are alternative coolants used to replace mineral oil in liquid filled transformers. The main advantages of using synthetic ester instead of mineral oil are higher standards of safety and reduced environmental risks.
Thanks for reading

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Green oil says this:
Green Oil Wet Chain Lube now contains N-Toc, a special refined plant extract to increase durability, increasing the length of time between applications.

I wonder if it is

Phenolic Extracts of Olive Leaf and Exhausted Olive Pomace

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If you want to be environmentally friendly, go to your local garage and ask if you can have some of their used/scrap gear oil. It's excellent for the chain, costs nothing and makes zero impact on the environment other than, instead of being burnt in a power station to make CO2, you'll spread it around your neighbourhood for the bacteria to feed on and make CO2, but at least you gave a better life to the bacteria. That's if the additives didn't kill them, which might still be a good thing.

Reactions: flecc

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I once rented a couple of bikes on a Greek island, everything absolutely dry as a bone. Olive oil worked a treat, dripped onto chain, into wheelhubs and bottom bracket.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I bought a litre of ep80 or 90 gear oil for my Ridgeback. £9 for a lifetime supply!

Jury is out on the Scorpion. Don't want to gum up the chain tubes, but won't be going muddy off-road, so probably a dry lube spray. Suggestions welcome!

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Paraffin wax and PTFE powder.
This was suggested to me many years ago whenI had my Sprint bike. It was very heavy on chains and a cyclist I met through my work suggested this and I never had to replace the chain again.

Reactions: pedalfettal

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
There is a re-'cycling' opertunity here.

If we used vegtable oil on our chains, when we clean them the gunge could maybe be re-cycled and sold to the local chipie for frying stuff.

But would that add a bit of metalic flavour to the chips ?