Home Made E-Bike

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I was out for a ride with and un-powered companion, making our way up the moor when I heard a whining, similar to the noise mine makes but much louder which turned out to be another e-bike of the home made eBay variety. Nothing strange here you might say but its a first for me and I was able to catch him up quite easily, although he was on a relatively inexpensive bike and he may not have been trying very hard, but the comparison was interesting.. My companion tried to give chase (Waste of energy) and with mine in the new EMTB mode it was just a case of applying more force to the pedals..
The more I ride in this mode the more I like it..

Reactions: LeighPing

T42

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2017
Rh17
Hi Gubbins,
Thanks for the share.
One day I was late for a meet with a friend on his new £3500 Trek Emtb and when I arrived he was talking to a guy who had fitted an aftermarket hub kit to his regular commute.
He had been running the conversion for a couple of years, travelling to work and back, a 20 mile round trip. It cost him a few hundred quid and he only had one problem, that he fixed inexpensively himself.
I've often thought back about this and the fact that me and my mate were sitting around £7000 of the most recent technological and must have kit, with all the anxiety that can ensue and comparing it to his ride . Still not sure who had the biggest smile that day.
Ride safe:)

Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Gubbins,
Thanks for the share.
One day I was late for a meet with a friend on his new £3500 Trek Emtb and when I arrived he was talking to a guy who had fitted an aftermarket hub kit to his regular commute.
He had been running the conversion for a couple of years, travelling to work and back, a 20 mile round trip. It cost him a few hundred quid and he only had one problem, that he fixed inexpensively himself.
I've often thought back about this and the fact that me and my mate were sitting around £7000 of the most recent technological and must have kit, with all the anxiety that can ensue and comparing it to his ride . Still not sure who had the biggest smile that day.
Ride safe:)
I think you touch on a valid point here.. when most problems are aired on here the bigest gripe seems to be not so much the problem itself but the cost of the bike in the first place.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

rich_r

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2017
North Yorkshire
I think for a lot of people, fitting a £200 motor/controller/display kit and a £200 battery to a second hand bike costing under £100, effectively gives you a great entrance into EAPCs for a similar cost to an average non-powered bike. So maybe getting that person cycling more than if they'd spent the same money on the non-powered bike.

Possibly once you've had that for a little while you then know more about what you want to get from the motor, and so you might then look at a more expensive pre-built model. Or maybe you just buy a different motor and carry on with the DIY route.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
:confused::confused::eek:
I think for a lot of people, fitting a £200 motor/controller/display kit and a £200 battery to a second hand bike costing under £100, effectively gives you a great entrance into EAPCs for a similar cost to an average non-powered bike. So maybe getting that person cycling more than if they'd spent the same money on the non-powered bike.

Possibly once you've had that for a little while you then know more about what you want to get from the motor, and so you might then look at a more expensive pre-built model. Or maybe you just buy a different motor and carry on with the DIY route.
Although the vid doesnt show it that hill is really long and steep and he was doing quite well for a cheap set up .. As the vid ends he was telling me it was a rear wheel from ebay, but he could have been captioned saying.. "eat my dust crank drive"...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bike has dragster mode tho ;)