Homemade electric dahon?

Tsakis

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2011
Hi again! After finding my first experience with e bikes satisfying enough to commute for my everyday stuff, I decided to Create a bike that will exactly fit my needs...

I want to take a folding dahon (since I believe that are the best option for folders at my country, Greece) and make it electric aiming for the following:

I want my bike to have 20 miles per hour unassisted aprox 25 with pedaling. I also live near some serious hills and I need the drag and also 15 miles minimum unassisted range.. I also need keeping the weight low of cource and retain a smooth look..

My first bike option would be the jetstream p8 because I really want a full suspension plus our roads here are pretty bumpy! Also i found a really good deal for one here!
From a brief search though I found out that not many have created so I am guessing are not ideal?..

So, thats it folks!
Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Tsakis

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2011
I want to but I dont know how.. I live in Athens Greece... At the left hand I saw no instructions of how I could add myself though, instead I read that:

To add or edit your details, please ask on the 'Electric Bicycles' forum at www.pedelecs.co.uk where one of the editors will pick up your request.
So hopefully I will be added?

Well I am not sure yet that it will be jetstream, I still not know if the conversion is viable... It is my first choise though, the roads here are bumpy indeed and at least a front fork will save my bike and my back a lot of trouble..

Ezee kits are on the top of my list right now but I am considering other kits as well.. I am looking forward to find out if the motor will fit to the jetstream, but I dont have time to spare this week to go for a testride...

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I would go for the Ezee option:) and have some local dealer support as well. I still have 2 Dahon folders and I sold my Jetstream a couple of years ago. considering where you live the Qondo is a strong bike and a no hassle option. Wisper bikes are available in Greece as well and they do some nice folders as well.....

Tsakis

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2011
Me again Tsakis,

Have you considered a one of these avaiable from eZee in Greece http://www.ezeebike.gr/files/ezee_quando.pdf
This one does not tick any more boxes than my current one...

The motor is not strong enough for my needs, it is heavy and lacks quality compared to a dahon.. I dont know if there is a mechanism to keep it folded and if it can be rolled while folded (the two features I really miss with my current bike).
Also compared to my current bike it does not have a suspension so it is really out of competition....

About the ezee kit on the jetstream (if proven that can be done) I was thinking of a 48V 10-12Ah(if available) battery that mached with the 550w nominal ezee motor(mached with 48v) will provide the top speed and drag I want.. Isnt that true?

I expect a weight of aprox:21kg
12kg the bike + 3,72kg for the motor + 0.32kg for the controller + aprox 4kg for the battery +1kg for lights cables etc..

Tsakis

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2011
I would go for the Ezee option:) and have some local dealer support as well. I still have 2 Dahon folders and I sold my Jetstream a couple of years ago. considering where you live the Qondo is a strong bike and a no hassle option. Wisper bikes are available in Greece as well and they do some nice folders as well.....
I explained above why quando does not fit my needs..

How is he folding system of the winsper bikes? They remain folded? You can move them using the wheels when folded? Still not enough power and no suspencion but they look nice.. Any known way to remove the speed/assistance limiter?

Tsakis

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2011
will this setup:
48V 10-12Ah(if available) battery that mached with the 550w nominal ezee motor(mached with 48v)
provide me the top speed I want in a 20in bike? (20mph unassisted aprox 25mph with pedaling)

Tsakis

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2011
I think me and alby will cooperate to create my dreambike.. Dahon jetstream ticks all the boxes and alby confirmed that the ezee rear kit will fit perfectly! The only problem we face is the delivery time of the 48V 10 ah LiPo battery I wanted but...

Me and Alby will keep you posted about the progress..

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Most of the 20in Dahon folders have a dropout of 75-80mm which is a problem as most motors need at least 100mm. People do spread the steel forks on the cheaper models but I wouldn't want to risk it with aluminium. An alternative would be one of the Dahon 26in folders which I think have a 100mm dropout.

C

Cyclezee

Most of the 20in Dahon folders have a dropout of 75-80mm which is a problem as most motors need at least 100mm. People do spread the steel forks on the cheaper models but I wouldn't want to risk it with aluminium. An alternative would be one of the Dahon 26in folders which I think have a 100mm dropout.

Hi Bikerbob,

We are talking about a rear motor here and on all 20" Dahon bikes the rear drop-out distance is 130mm apart from the Mu Uno (single speed, coaster brake model).

So the eZee rear motor will fit perfectly.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Hi Bikerbob,

We are talking about a rear motor here and on all 20" Dahon bikes the rear drop-out distance is 130mm apart from the Mu Uno (single speed, coaster brake model).

So the eZee rear motor will fit perfectly.
Hi Aldby,

Woops, misunderstood. I'm showing my lack of expertise here but as the rear drop-out on my Vitesse D7 is indeed 130mm that seems, allowing for the cassette, to leave a bare 90mm for a motor. Am I right in thinking that the only way to use a 100mm motor kit on my bike would be to convert to single speed?

Last edited:

Tsakis

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2011
Hi Aldby,

Woops, misunderstood. I'm showing my lack of expertise here but as the rear drop-out on my Vitesse D7 is indeed 130mm that seems, allowing for the cassette, to leave a bare 90mm for a motor. Am I right in thinking that the only way to use a 100mm motor kit on my bike would be to convert to single speed?
I am not an expert but I think ezee kit is 131mm complete. This means rim + motor + their 7 speed cassette...

C

Cyclezee

I am not an expert but I think ezee kit is 131mm complete. This means rim + motor + their 7 speed cassette...
You are rapidly approaching expert status Tsakis;),

The width of an eZee rear hub motor and 9 speed screw on type 'freewheel' is 131 mm.
The width of an eZee front hub motor is 100 mm.

Therefore the motors will fit front and rear drop-outs with those dimensions +/- 5 mm without modification.

Tsakis

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2011
You are rapidly approaching expert status Tsakis;),
Thanks..:rolleyes:

Btw, do we have any news from the battery status?

Ps: One friend of mine is really excited with this project... If we end up with an impressive outcome I guess you found an other customer...

C

Cyclezee

Thanks..:rolleyes:

Btw, do we have any news from the battery status?

Ps: One friend of mine is really excited with this project... If we end up with an impressive outcome I guess you found an other customer...
Hi Tsakis, or Giannis if I may,

I have no further news regarding availability of the eZee FP 48v 10Ah batteries, currently, eZee have non in stock. All other eZee batteries are available, including the VP 48v 10 Ah type.

When they do become available, I will let you know;)

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
Your requirement for 20mph with a 20" wheel at 48v is just about achievable.

What's the difference between those 48v ezee batteries and what current can they deliver?

C

Cyclezee

Your requirement for 20mph with a 20" wheel at 48v is just about achievable.

What's the difference between those 48v ezee batteries and what current can they deliver?
Hi Piotrmacheta,

eZee have two 48v Panasonic 18650 celled batteries which both deliver 528 Wh. One is a VP or vertical pack which fits the frame of eZee bikes. The FP or flat pack fits the custom made eZee City type rear frame mounted rack or the eZee MTB
seat post rack.