Hoping to increase driver passing distance at night, I've glued front and rear reflectors to my wing mirrors.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I would like to thank all contributors to this subject, as it brings more safety ideas and designs to all members who can read!
Very important.
Regards
Andy

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
Also appreciate 'speed and convenience' tips like turning Ergon grips upward, fitting the bike in a trolley etc. My Dahon Vitesse 20" just looked too big to even try it out, doh!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Also appreciate 'speed and convenience' tips like turning Ergon grips upward, fitting the bike in a trolley etc. My Dahon Vitesse 20" just looked too big to even try it out, doh!
Another Dahon! I initially didn't know the handlebar was supposed to be slackened off to rotate for folding. Dahons are suprisingly rare on this forum - now that I have stronger legs, developed over two years pretending to pedal... it just so happens that I almost bought a Vitesse recently on ebay - because for some of my shorter journeys, I fancied that I fancied the novelty and lighter weight of a non-electric Dahon. In the end, the addictive zero-effort allure of my electrified Helios riding experience, dragged me away from the "Buy now" button.

Your 11.8kg Vitesse should be easier to lift in and out of supermarket trolleys. The security guards don't mind, because it's inside the trolley. I understand Brompton owners get zero complaints simply wheeling their tiny folded 16" wheeled bikes around supermarkets, trolleyless and unashamed. I'm suprised nobody objects citing public liability concerns, which isn't an issue if they're inside supermarket trolleys - according to security guards, they "Don't care", as long as my Dahon "Stays in the trolley".

Yours folds similarly, neatly with handle inside the fold.

These days, due to of all my handlebars' additions (three headlights, display, BBS01B control buttonset, Hornit 120db horn, end-bar mirrors, three switches (plus one for trailer lights - presently unconnected), extra wires etc.) I find it easier to fold my bike leaving the handlebar outside the fold... but when I have enough time, it'll all still fit inside, if I rotate some items on the handlebar out of the way, after I've slackened off the handlebar clasp and rotated the handlebar, for a narrower and more balanced folded profile for rolling along, or for stowing on public transport racks.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Photo if possible?
Here's a recent cockpit pic (see below) - for extra conspicuity... there's a headlight pointed backwards at my hi-viz top, because at night, I don't only want to be visible when my hi-viz top is reflecting driver's headlights - at junctions, their headlights are not pointed at my hi-viz top, rendering me more invisible than usual. They may react faster if they see a rider, rather than just bright headlights?

The rolls near the mirros are Dahon's excellent £2.99 waterproof self-coiling highly reflective trouser bands, which actually stay on legs.

I had put them on the handlebar for safe keeping, but decided they were more effective overall there, than on my ankles.

Unfortunately, that backward facing headlight doesn't flash like the torch I was using before, but it's brighter and I don't need to charge that light (I frequently forgot, so many devices to charge!) - it's on the Bafang 6V lighting cicuit, which turns on automatically when the display detects dark conditions, or upon manual switching on/off. I keep it switched on like my other lights, when riding day or night...

...and I still might get squashed like a bug :eek:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Unhappy about all the light switches not being visible and easily accessible, I rearranged the cockpit a little... and because I don't trust waterproofing ratings, I've made a new rain cover for the display.

Plas man

Pedelecer
May 12, 2022
Let’s hope it does the job , kinda reminds me of scooter days (mods) back in the 60’s :cool: , maybe a hub dynamo in the trailer wheel would illuminate the rear end better 24/7 .

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
kinda reminds me of scooter days (mods) back in the 60’s
I'm gonna need a LOT more mirrors and lights! :p

maybe a hub dynamo in the trailer wheel would illuminate the rear end better 24/7
Thank you, that's an interesting thought. I'll look to see if a compatible hub dynamo is available for the Homcom's 16" wheels.

Instead of the simple dual switch I ordered from AliExpress, I received a dual switch where the second switch has two positions, indicated below:

... which rather conveniently means I can add (by clicking over to the right) another 36V lighting circuit for the trailer corners and/or sides, plus the rear of the bike: the 1800LM which I have made red for the rear rack, plus two spare 5W headlights which I no longer use - those two can either be made red to be placed either side on the rear rail of the trailer, or orange to shine from either side. I can add another (made red) 1800LM on the passing corner.

The trouble with the orange side lights for caravans that I've found thus far on AliExpress, is that they're 12V or 24V only, which would mean the lights on that circuit will have to go through a converter - possibilities for next year's harvest methinks. For hauling over a wheelbarrow to my garden using Homcom bike trailer tonight, I'll have to make do with the lights I have...

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Oh well. I'll have to stop here, I can't add anything else to the handlebar - I've run out of room.... unless I get a decent clamp-on handlebar... which would increase weight and prevent my bike folding neatly. The tatty white reflective tape on the back of my Zefals will be replaced soon. And I still might get crushed by a lorry. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Plas man

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
3 x 12 = 36V.

Three 12V oranges in series can be driven straight off your battery. I bought 4 each red and white for my solar trailer, didn't need them in the end, but they worked fine in testing. Couldn't buy 3, had to be 2 or 4!

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
3 x 12 = 36V.

Three 12V oranges in series can be driven straight off your battery. I bought 4 each red and white for my solar trailer, didn't need them in the end, but they worked fine in testing. Couldn't buy 3, had to be 2 or 4!
I really should have thought of putting them in series! Thank you very much. I'll get scouring AliExpress... :)

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
3 x 12 = 36V.

These look like good candidates: 34 LEDs = 34W? o_O Probably not, as they don't have huge aluminium heatsinks. I've emailed asking for clarification regarding their wattage - if very bright, they might dazzle me while riding, secured using Araldite onto the red sides of my end bar mirror reflectors. I want lights bright enough to be high conspicuity in daylight.

They have one red side, one side white - top or bottom depending on orientation. At 4.6 inches wide, they would stick out an inch further either side. I'm mulling over installing two sets of three: set one for my two end bar mirrors plus the left side of mid bike frame, and set two for three sides of the trailer (two at the apex of the passing corner, the other on the left side, or on the back left with side red pointed to the left side).

They can be indicators, at some later date.

The ebay listing appears to advertise a set including at least one orange light:

... but wih a longer wait, pairs are available cheaper on AliExpress:

...and I might still end up dead flat against a wall of metal on wheels :eek:

I think this is approx to scale :D They might be too large lol.

I'm forcing myself to not buy them.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I bought the red and white versions of these:

Screenshot_20221121-074648_Chrome.jpg

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I've enquired of the seller, what watts those consume.

They're 12V-30V... they worked with two or four in series with your 48V without issues?
Three on my 36V solar setup.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Although these may not be bright enough (they should be, drawing 0.333A), these are the narrowest, lightest and thinnest red LEDs I have found so far, to Araldite onto my mirror reflectors. Because I don't need the holes, I can make them less wide, by sawing off about 1cm of the ABS either side. If they're not bright enough for my mirrors plus handlebar stem (while riding, in addition to the white headlight pointing at my hi-viz top, illuminating me with red light), I could use them on the bike trailer instead - but I'll keep looking for brighter... because I'm not convinced they'd be high conspicuity enough in daylight.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
These might have to do. Compact and light-weight. Very roughly to scale:

If they're not bright enough, I could add a line lol :D

...plus perhaps sides:

This may be going too far, but at least I have options...

Last edited:
Reactions: Plas man

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Plus white light versions of the same on the reverse side, would deffo be going too far.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't want to buy and Araldite red LEDs to my Zefal end-bar mirrors, which turn out not bright enough to be highly visible in daylight, so I'm still looking for compact and extremely bright lights.

I found these, which look bright, and have the added advantage of being wedge shaped - my mirrors angle inwards slightly, so wedge shaped enclosures would point them at traffic behind me. Unfortunately these only flash, with contradictory descriptions. Are they steady lights or do they flash? After emailing several sellers, I still don't know. (They don't need an external flasher, it's built-in)

...and they'd look like this on my bike (to scale)

...then I found these "F1 style" lights, the brightest so far:

There are two types of this "F1 style" light, one with steady light and one with flashing option. I measured and blue-tacked paper to a mirror reflector, to get an exact-ish sizing for how they'd look. They have to stick out a bit, otherwise the Zefals won't fold to lean against walls.

They could be covered with reflective tape at the front:

I need steady bright mirror lights as markers. Side indicators, I could Araldite on later... but using both of the above would look far too mad, even for me:

My search for extremely bright, light-weight, compact and waterproof red LEDs continues... or maybe I'll just buy the "F1 style" ones above. I've sent emails asking about how bright those are in lumens; current, wattage etc.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Much of the Zefal mirror cases are empty space - I might simply drill holes into the sides, glue in some shortened rawlplugs (I don't want normal length, because they'd open up and displace the mirrors), and glue in number plate lights to the ends of the mirrors, after making them red by glueing on red acetate sheet (if I can't open them up to insert small cuts of red sheet). Or I could cut open some the front of the mirrors, and secure the lights with nuts, then glue the front back together. I can fit at least five of these all around each Zefal mirror edge = +15 LEDs. I'll start with one, then add more if needed - if all that doesn't work, I'll conclude drivers have been warned, and go full on batshit "F1 style" red light crazy as illustrated above.

For now, while I search for useful looking lights, I'm going to attempt to secure an unused flasher with a broken mount, to the bottom edge of my right reflector - it'll be on constantly. It won't stay on that side pointing backwards using zipties, so I've made angled plastic and metal block for it, which might stick on well enough underneath the reflector - of course it will fall off... so I'll ziptie it, so that when it does, it'll shake about at all angles, which may be more effective a marker anyway.

I'll see if this small light increases driver passing distance, when pointed in the right direction. Until there is substantial Global Dimming:

...I don't expect it'll be noticed at all in daylight.

The mirror reflects the realm I inhabit...

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have modified my bike so that I do not only have a single central light, but rather also have flashing leds at handlebar width at both edges front & back.
That way other vehicles can see I have a width & not just a moving vertical pole, which is what the eye & brain see when looking at most bikes.
@trevor brooker - do drivers mis-identify your flashing LEDs as indicators? If not, I may set mine flashing, after attaching them to my end-bar mirrors.