Horrible click-thud noise from front wheel.

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
A couple of times whilst riding the Aurora, I've heard/felt a click-thud noise from the front wheel. It doesn't happen all the time, and is not in time with the wheel rotation. The sound it makes is like when the tyre picks up a stone and throws it into the mudguard.
Annoyingly it does it for a few seconds then stops and is o.k for miles and miles. This morning though, the click-thud noise returned, louder than before, and lasted the last 5 miles of my commute. Setting off back from work though, all was silent again! None of the spokes seem to be loose, and there doesn't seen to be any play in the wheel. I guess I'll take the tyre off this weekend and thoroughly check the spokes. I'll also check the bearings. Any other ideas?

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
It is something between your mudguard and tyre, usually drops out quite quickly, but occasionally sticks in the tyre tread and goes round and round and round...

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
From your description it sounds as if the bearings are in need of some lubrication.
One of the first things I did on my Aurora was to grease and adjust the front wheel bearings. They were very tight from the factory. That's not unusual on any new bike. Just about every bike or wheel that's come though my garage has had the same problem.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Could be a bearing problem but I'd expect that to be consistent, not just on occasion. If it is, you'll feel it when you turn the wheel
With your hand.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Clunk

Hi It could be a loos wire on the hall censors firing the motor at the wrong time that can fell very bumpy and noisy and would come and go

Frank

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Its rear wheel drive....