Hot weather issues?

elyob

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 28, 2021
New to the whole world of pedelecs, and have had some amazing journeys (200km so far). My Orange P7 is quite a weighty bike, and I'm 100kg+ .. the last couple of days the new BS02B 48V 750W Mid Drive Electric Bike Motor has switched off mid ride. I presumed yesterday that I'd hit my maximum range, but today it went pear shaped within 2.5 miles.
It was 29c, the battery is on the rear rack. I wasn't "gunning it", but presume the battery BMS shutdown due to heat?

The original sales says Operating Temperature: -20-45℃.

The BMS information says it has "Protection Function: Over-charge, Over-discharge, Short Circuit Protection, Over-current Protection."

What should I be considering to not have a complete shutdown like I have the last two days?

I've just received the programming cable and hope to borrow a Windows laptop to update the settings. Is there a way of doing this via a Mac?

Thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
on hot days like this even my bosch motor will over heat and shut down it is the motor not the batt overheating.

id turn down the amps that the motor can pull so less heat.

Reactions: elyob

elyob

Jul 28, 2021
id turn down the amps that the motor can pull so less heat.
Interesting, without a laptop to update the settings handy, is there a way you do this on the fly? (850c display)

Am interested how folk in hotter countries keep theirs in warmer climates happy?

Any tips on what to do when scuppered?

Appreciate any advice to a newbie!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

elyob

Jul 28, 2021
use a lower power mode and with mac os you cant do jack with this software or pay 20k for a apple bike and app.
View attachment 43897

35kw 100kg
Nice bike! Here's my attempt! ...

Shame I rewrote my emergency Windows machine with Linux to help a friend a few months back.

I really wasn't giving it the guns today, I even followed a bike to see if my level one was okay to cycle with non-pedelecs. Definitely need to rewrite the settings though. Settings 1-4 are too fast.

Have I done something wrong not to see Range and BMS info on my 850C controller?

Ta

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
:p

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Nice bike! Here's my attempt! ...

Shame I rewrote my emergency Windows machine with Linux to help a friend a few months back.

I really wasn't giving it the guns today, I even followed a bike to see if my level one was okay to cycle with non-pedelecs. Definitely need to rewrite the settings though. Settings 1-4 are too fast.

Have I done something wrong not to see Range and BMS info on my 850C controller?

Ta
Nice piccie with Hampton Court in background..

Reactions: elyob