How about suggesting to DoT...

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Of course I jest but it is not 100% possible to be sure that children do not run into the road when they see their friend - that is what they do, always have done. Of course you can keep them in doors and that is what a lot of "good" parents do but I think they are being robbed of their childhood. On the other hand if we all took responsibility on the road (and yes 20mph zones send out an important message) then our children's lives would be better.

I don't know if you have this problem where you live but in the UK fewer and fewer parents are letting their children out to play. It becomes a vicious circle as the less of them there are on the streets, the less care is taken and the more we want to lock them up (if that make sense).

Last edited:

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
20 mph zones are no good. You need a blanket 20 mph in urban areas.... and some enforcement....

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
Of course I jest but it is not 100% possible to be sure that children do not run into the road when they see their friend - that is what they do, always have done. Of course you can keep them in doors and that is what a lot of "good" parents do but I think they are being robbed of their childhood. On the other hand if we all took responsibility on the road (and yes 20mph zones send out an important message) then our children's lives would be better.

I don't know if you have this problem where you live but in the UK fewer and fewer parents are letting their children out to play. It becomes a viscous circle as the less of them there are on the streets, the less care is taken and the more we want to lock them up (if that make sense).
Parents have a duty of care, what ever it takes! kids run out into the road without looking, get hit by a car, who's fault? you the car driver? I suggest you stop and think about it. Robbed of their childhood, or robbed of their life!

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
You are right - I will keep the risk to an absolute minimum and keep them locked in the house. Cheers.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
You are right - I will keep the risk to an absolute minimum and keep them locked in the house. Cheers.
No need.....Anne summers sells some neat fluffy plastic handcuffs:)

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Not sure what Ann Summers has to do with child safety - too much sauce last night perhaps?

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
It's very rare round my way to see children playing on the street. And as for toddlers running around, never that I can recall.

Playing out is a thing of the past because of the traffic. Drivers, whether cars cyclists and all in between seem to think that they have absolute right of way.

Does anyone remember the Monty Python sketch where they have pedestrians behaving as they would when in their cars? There is something about personal transport that makes selfish pigs out of too many people.

I've said it before but it bears saying again. If every vehicle had a spike mounted so that it pointed to the rider's/ driver's chest, we would all be safer.

Youngsters are so restricted these days - even in Richmond Park many parents can't let their kids cycle on the perimeter shared track because of the high speed grim faced tree-trunk thighed thugs yelling to get out of their way.

I wonder why perfectly nice and reasonable people turn in to turbo nutter bastards when they get on the road?