How critical is the number of chain links?

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
My 8 speed Woosh has an 118 link KMC X8 chain that is due for renewal.

I note that a replacement X8 chain has 116 links.

Do I really need to go through the hassle of making up an 118 clink hain?

Does having 2 links less have any adverse effect?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
As long as there's no fowling issues when using using the largest chainring with the largest cassette cog, then 2 links shouldn't be a problem.

There's usually a bit of headroom with derailleurs and chains, to allow for slight variations in cog sizes.

D

Deleted member 33385

If you do need to, this is rather good:

...every other tool I've tried, has turned out to be be single use and inaccurately manufactured.

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD

I use this 118 link KMC chain from bankrupt bike parts, works well on my 8 speed and cheap as chips

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I often use BBP for items, delivery and service is very good. if you have a bike that needs a longer chain then buy two or three to keep in stock as spare.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Unfortunately, you'll only know the answer after you fit it. 2links is quite a lot. It'll affect whether you can get bottom gear or not with your biggest or only chainring. If you never use bottom gear, then a 116 links will be fine.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Good tips all. I think I'll play safe and go for the original spec chain length

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You can see with the current chain. Set it to biggest ring front (I see it's 8 speed so only ring) and back, and see if there is enough play that you could safely remove two links.

On bikes with front changers you can get away with a chain that won't fit biggest to biggest; that is a combination you should never use, but not recommended in case you accidentally do try to use it.

fl2021

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 21, 2021
You should always measure out the chainlinks to what you need to use, too loose ends up with chain jumping in smaller gears, too tight puts too much stress on the rear derailleur (and possibly snapping it) in the larger gears. There are guides and calculators online but best is to check chain length on largest front chainring to largest rear sprocket and then again smallest to smallest before breaking it.

Chances are you probably don't even need 116 unless you're using giant rear sprockets or have a long chain stay.

D

Deleted member 33385

Good tips all. I think I'll play safe and go for the original spec chain length

At least you know how long your chain is supposed to be - I had to take links off until all my gears worked properly, because the bike shop had previously replaced the chain with the wrong number of links. Online calculators and formulas got me close... I left it slightly long just in case, then removed links when the gears didn't all work ... endless adjustments later, it all works.

Last edited: