How do I make the Sirocco CD faster?

mjwobble

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Does anyone know the in's and out's of this particular model and how I might get up to 25+ mph?

If anyone offers a service where they could install a new motor/battery setup that could have it going quicker than please do get in touch

I read the 15mph limit thread and also dev8h's review but I'm still not sure how to do it, if I can get something sorted I'll happily donate :D

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

I know a few big hills :cool:
Cliffs are better, it'll go even faster.

You can de-restrict the speed by the settings in the LCD panel. You press and hold the up and down buttons to enter set-up, then scroll through the screens with the mode button until you get to the speed.

Releasing the speed limit doesn't give it any more power, but you can feel it helping you while you prdal at 20mph.

You might then find the gearing a bit low. You can solve it by getting a second-hand rear wheel with cassette gears that have a 11 tooth top gear.

mjwobble

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
no way to trick the bike as mentioned in the 15mph thread with wheel sensors etc?

thanks

Cliffs are better, it'll go even faster.

You can de-restrict the speed by the settings in the LCD panel. You press and hold the up and down buttons to enter set-up, then scroll through the screens with the mode button until you get to the speed.

Releasing the speed limit doesn't give it any more power, but you can feel it helping you while you prdal at 20mph.

You might then find the gearing a bit low. You can solve it by getting a second-hand rear wheel with cassette gears that have a 11 tooth top gear.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the woosh website says it's got 8-speed 12-34 cassette, same as on my bike (8-Fun BBS01). I can get up to 22mph on the flat on 12T, maximum assist (level 3).

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Over 20mph, you'll need pedalling because at that speed, the wind resistance is already about 400W before adding headwind. Crank drive does make pedalling a lot easier though.

DavePat

Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
Tyne and Wear
Well after much trial, tribulation and cursing I finally managed to put an 11-34T cassette on my Sirocco CD.
I got the cassette from SJS Cycles and bought a complete new rear wheel including similar Kenda tyre on Ebay, the original wheel is a freewheel not freehub. Needed a spacer as the new Freehub was an 8/9 one but the indexing works fine and no probs with the 34T cog, there is a big jump though from 24T to 34T.
A quick 2 mile tryout with it unrestricted, temporary of course on a quiet stretch, fet the power cut out at 25mph. I didnt have a long steep hill on the route but one bank I did try was ok in 24T and spinning a bit much for me in 34 so I guess on a really steep hill it will do the business.
I took the throttle off when I first got the bike so cannot comment on that, maybe a thumb throttle is next to help in hill starting.
I was a bit unsure about the quick release skewers on the new wheel as the shorter axles only go half way through the thick dropouts but I guess this is OK. Typical of my dithering with the whole process.
I probably need to fine tune the gear adjustment as there is a bit of jitteriness and clunking in top gear.

Should get a decent run out at the weekend and see how it performs.

Thanks D8veh for the advice on a couple of threads.

D

Deleted member 4366

If I remember correctly, you can get even more speed by twisting the wheel magnet round, which releases the limit completely, but in practice, the bike doesn't go much faster because there's not enough torque from the motor.

DavePat

Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
Tyne and Wear
Without the magnet on the wheel it does not register the mph, I just got a spare and put it on the new wheel so it is easy to swap wheels if necessary.

The twist grip throttle I removed has a little 2 pin connector are these pretty standard? I want to add a thumb throttle but would prefer to keep the original equipment to reinstal when I sell it on.

D

Deleted member 4366

Without the magnet on the wheel it does not register the mph, I just got a spare and put it on the new wheel so it is easy to swap wheels if necessary.

The twist grip throttle I removed has a little 2 pin connector are these pretty standard? I want to add a thumb throttle but would prefer to keep the original equipment to reinstal when I sell it on.
The throttle on the Sirocco CD that I had, had the standard three-pin connector. A throttle can't work with two pins. Please show a photo of what you have.

DavePat

Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
Tyne and Wear
Absolutley correct. The old throttle was in a box in the garage, the connector on the bike is taped up. Its the brakes that are 2 pin, I know as they keep coming disconnected so I am used to seeing them.
I see a similar connector on BMS Battery along with a thumb throttle for a few quid, probably cost more for the postage.