How do I waterproof unused connectors?

MancMan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2020
Afternoon all.

I am nearing the final fit and tidy up of a Yose Power rear hub onto a hybrid bike.

My question is. I have 3 unused sockets on the wiring loom. 1 for the thumb throttle (my wife is not going to have it too easy) and 2 for the brakes (the bike has combined brake and gear levers)

How do I waterproof these 3 unused sockets?

I have bought some amalgamating tape from toolstation. I can see the principal behind it, and i can see how you could wrap it round a joint.

But I cannot work out how to wrap it round an end.

Any advice will be gladly received.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Use heat shrink first leaving it long then fold the end back on it self after that you can put a couple wraps of amalgamating tape around.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: MancMan

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
If possible, try and keep the connectors pointing downwards once sealed. That way any water that does get in them will drip out.

Obviously keep them out of any road spray from the wheels wherever possible

WallyM

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
If you can't find plugs at those China online pages, just "Silicon" them. That might even be better. And if visible, you can wrap some nice tape around it after. But with a bit of practice and tlc one can make beautiful silicon sealing plugs as well.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
Use shrink tubes with built-in waterproof sealing, you can get them on Amazon (is there anything you can't get on Amazon?)

MancMan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2020
Thanks for all the advice.
I had some bits of heat shrink in the garage so used/folded then wrapped.
But when I fasten them into place I will also make sure they will "drip dry"