How do I work this one out? Battery/Motor issues.

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
Brief history: first DIY ebike 9 years ago (AlienOcean kit), fantastic...Zooom. but then battery fail, battery fail, another battery fail. Gave up on it for many years.

A year ago, I bought a TSDZ2 kit from Ebike-Sales (or something like that), I also bought a battery from them which fitted onto the bike drink bottle connectors. It was a 'cheap' battery, they said 'samsung cells' and all that nice stuff, and "RRP £300, Now £200" or something like that. This kit was bloody brilliant when it worked, but often it stopped providing much power for no apparent reason.. Later I noticed when I went over a pothole or rough road surface the battery would cut out (display on battery dead - everything dead) but worked later. I got it out today to pick my car up from the garage 10 miles away. It got me up the steep hill out of my town, but then I went over some uneven road surface on an A-Road and it cut out. All battery lights off, would not switch on, then after a few minutes the first green LED (1 out of 5 indicating charge level) on the battery was flickering. It should have still been full, I only did about 3 miles.

So my questions are: I had problems with this from the start, could it have been the battery all along, or was it TSDZ2? Can I get a cheap lead acid battery to connect it up to, to see if the motor works fine? Can someone suggest a good battery manufacturer that doesn't fail every 5 minutes? My experience of ebiking kits 9 years ago is much better than today.

D

Deleted member 4366

If the green light is directly on the battery, then the cause has to be inside the battery. If it's on the bike somewhere, then it's more likely a connection problem. Which type of battery is it?

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
Battery is this one: http://ebike-sales.co.uk/product/rocket-battery-36v-13ah-black

The LEDs are on the battery, it has a bar of 5 LEDs. It's out of warranty. A while ago ebike-sales did say I could send it back while it was under warranty however I never knew if it was the battery or the motor and the issue with it totally cutting out when going over potholes (which is definitely the battery) only started after it was out of warranty. At the time it was under warranty I didn't fancy disassembling the motor from my bike to send it back. If I knew it was just the battery that would have been ok.

I'd like to answer the question about the original problem where the bike was suddenly underpowered. Is there some kind of cheap Lead Acid 36V battery I can try it with? I don't know anyone else with an ebike to borrow a batter off.

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Sounds like a knackered cell string (or more ) inside the pack which brings the whole pack down

You'll need a multi meter to be sure by accessing the BMS board and testing the balance leads. They should increase in equal jumps e.g. 3.6v